Once Upon a Time in Mexico

There was a new topic about OUATIM:

Ivy:

Sorry if this hasn’t got anything to do with Quentin Tarantino, but does anybody know if the tune played by El Mariachi with the guitar he gets given in OUATIM at the start of the movie is in the soundtrack? I think that music rocks especially the part where it displays “Once upon a time in Mexico” on the screen!!!

If it isn’t on the soundtrack, then could anyone tell me the name of the music he plays??

Grindhouse-Ezekiel

I think thats the “Malaguena Salerosa” tune. Its on the soundtrack of “Kill Bill: Vol. 2”, too, and I think its on “Once Upon a Time in Mexico”, too. But go to amazon.com and make a soundcheck. Then you hear it.

Can anyone tell me the name of the music that Antonio Banderas plays during the credit sequence in Once Upon a Time in Mexico? It peaks at the part where it shows “Once Upon a Time in Mexico” on the screen! It is not called “Malaguena-Salerosa - Chingon” or “Malaguena - Brian Setzer”, it is not on the volume 2 OST or the OUATIM OST i dont think? Can anyone help??

Dangermouse posted in an other topic:

Once Upon A Time In Mexico and the reasons I hated it, but at the same time, really liked it.

The plot was alot confusing first watching it but I guess that was Robert putting a shit load of screenplays together so he could make his epic.

The acting was good as well. No complaints.

The story was all good and well.

What the fuck is up with all the fake scribs? Could he not get any so he uses crapy effects to replace them? I hated that. And the entire computer generated bullet holes in the wall. I understand why they did it in the building where the President stayed. But what about the hotel escape scene?

And the fake guns in the church? Why not just come back to it when you get the real guns. Why not just take care dialogue sequences real quick? I just didn’t understand that.

After his great Desperado he has gotten real sloppy and lazy. I saw El Mariachi couple nites ago on Starz and it wasn’t all that good but at least it was a real movie and not a fuckin video game.

Now this isn’t ROBERT RODRIGUEZ bashing. I just want a better understanding on why this movie was surrounding in CG effects instead of the ol’ fashion visual effects lik the KB Team?

Sry bout that. Mah Bad

No problem!

Hey and welcome!

in response to dangermouse:

i don’t really know all that much about Robert Rodriguez, so i won’t try to act like an expert or anything. i saw Once Upon a Time in Mexico also and i felt pretty much the same way you did (my review’s on here somewhere). after i watched the movie i watched the special features and from what i gathered, RR’s love of digital filming has been blown way out of proportion. he’s beginning to take the George Lucas perspective where he basically relies on CGI way too much. i mean, fake guns, fake squibs, fake everything. at one point he even completely removed a stunt guy from a shot (where Salma Hayek is on top of that bus). i don’t really like CGI at all (if used sparingly it can be very effective, but don’t compose whole scenes with CGI gag). RR needs to go back to his filmmaking roots

well one thing you may or may not know about robert is that he likes to make movies fast. he likes to make them ahead of schedule and under budget. this new technology that Lucas has shown him has allowed robert to, as he says, “create at the speed of thought”. i had no idea most of that that stuff was CG until looking at the behind the scenes stuff so it didnt detract from the movie any. johnny depp was only on shoot for nine days. working with a director for nine days. and he has a substantial role in the movie. so from that info right there you can tell that robert likes to move fast. CG has only helped him speed up the process more

the script was really weak (except for the cool one-liners) but the action was so awesome that i didn’t care

and Desperado is the worst of the trilogy, it only had one good action scene and after the first 5 minutes it gets pretty boring

[quote=“IL_Buono”]
the script was really weak (except for the cool one-liners) but the action was so awesome that i didn’t care

and Desperado is the worst of the trilogy, it only had one good action scene and after the first 5 minutes it gets pretty boring
[/quote]

When I first watched Desperado I had no idea who RR was. But I was interested in film making, while listening to the dialogue, it was really weak.
Cept for Steve & Quentin's lines were pretty cool. The film itself was stylish.
The action could have been alot better. And I felt like I got fucked over when we don't even see Bucho die. The whole last action scene doesn't exist. Thats bullshit!

did you watch it on tv or something? cuz im pretty sure you see him die in the uncut version…but it’s been a while since i’ve seen it

i actually prefer the tv edit where you see the guns come out of his sleeves, and then a dark screen as you hear shots in the background…i think it’s much more stylish and almost Leone-like

I’ve only watched it twice. Once on VHs and then on TV.

In my opinion “Once Upon A Time In Mexico” is the weakest of the three films. The story was too thin, Salma was hardly in it, and the action scenes aren’t as entertaining as the ones in “Desperado”. I enjoyed “Desperado” a lot more.

[quote=“BlazeAlpha”]
In my opinion “Once Upon A Time In Mexico” is the weakest of the three films. The story was too thin, Salma was hardly in it, and the action scenes aren’t as entertaining as the ones in “Desperado”. I enjoyed “Desperado” a lot more.
[/quote]

i mean, stylewise and directing wise its a pretty outstanding effort. but robert didnt succeed in squeezing all the stories into it. come on look at how much potential it had. you could’ve made 4 hours movie out of it. what about the ex-cop? the palace revolt? and so on, Rodriguez puts so much stuff into the movie, but only shows us glimpses of it… whats left is the style and an incredibly cool Agent Sands

I agree. The script and story flat out sucked, but Mexico had some of the craziest and coolest action scenes i’ve ever seen in a movie. I don’t think Desperado is all that great anyway, so I’d rate this # 2 in the Mariachi trilogy

Oh, for god’s sake I don’t care about the script if I have seen Johny Depp with eyes cut out of his head.

i totally agree

personally i think this is depps best and coolest roll ever

I agree with you there. He totally rocked in it - he was the perfect choice for that role.

I was expecting something really terrible cause I’m a huge fan of El Mariachi and Desperado, but not only was Johnny Depp a really good fit but the action was still there.

Yeh Depp rocks! he totally made Secret Window! and pirates of the Caribean as well, come to think of it, he can make any movie great…

i watched this movie again yesterday, and i come to love it. i mean, the action still looks pretty low budget and the script ist just not Rodriguez’s best, he has too much to tell but just doesnt find the time to do it (the rourke character, the former fbi agent, the flash backs, the sands backstory etc). but the film is full with nice moments.

i kinda dont like the score though, rodriguez should hire guys, not take on the score himself. it just doesnt sound “mariachi” enough :slight_smile: