Official Homework and term-paper question topic

[quote=“cocktailsforone”]
I am a Georgia State University student doing a project on Quentin Tarantino. I know that there are hundreds of people on this site asking the exact same questions as I am, but I still need to ask them for the sake of my paper. Extra information would be appreciated and if you think of any good questions, please repost them along with the original ones. Thanks for your time.

1. What was the first Tarantino film you ever saw?

2. Which is your favorite?

3. What qualities attract you to Tarantino’s films?

4.How would you respond to criticism of Tarantino’s films based on their violence?

5.Who (besides Tarantino) would you say is (are) your favorite director(s)?

6.Who is your favorite 1970s kung fu star?
    [/quote]

4. Pulp Fiction

5. Pulp Fiction

6. I’ve always loved his dark wit but mostly his dialogue. As a screenwriter myself I find his dialogue to be fresh and new and polarizing. It serves the purpose of dialogue without being formulaic. It’s original.

7. Violence in a tarantino film is used no different than in any other film, only it’s presented in such a way that it seems to bring a bigger blow.

8. Martin Scorsese

9. Bruce Lee I supose.

Hi, I’m currently doing a study of the representation of women in Quentin Tarantino films. In particular, I’m focusing on the theme of female empowerment which is notable in Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 and Jackie Brown. During my research I’ve found that Tarantino’s presentation of female empowerment is somewhat paradoxical as the narrative tends to be more male driven and female characters seem to have a dependency on male characters (i.e. Jackie Brown and Max Cherry, Beatrix and Bill).

Any comments on this would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Mush”]
Hi, I’m currently doing a study of the representation of women in Quentin Tarantino films. In particular, I’m focusing on the theme of female empowerment which is notable in Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 and Jackie Brown. During my research I’ve found that Tarantino’s presentation of female empowerment is somewhat paradoxical as the narrative tends to be more male driven and female characters seem to have a dependency on male characters (i.e. Jackie Brown and Max Cherry, Beatrix and Bill).

[/quote]

As much as you’d like to think your homework is Frontpage News, I’ve had to move it to this section where it belongs! Why don’t you search within these forums and you’ll find quite a few posts on male/female empowerment within QT’s films.

Death Proof was the only film to evoke female empowerment. Kill Bill didn’t. Bea was just going round killing men and women chopping a woman’s arms off, not giving a shit.

she stood up to a whole gang of assassins and a bunch of others, went into Pai Mei’s cruel tutelage and then killed the father of her child. not a role model, but pretty powerful shit if you ask me

[quote=“Mush”]

[/quote]

I suppose it depends on what you mean by female empowerment is. KB and JB could be included as they didn’t really rely on men as they were pretty independent. They evoked female empowerment by having women on the same level as men. However DP was very different. Nearly all the men in that film were shown to be idiots of one kind of another (for me that’s another reason why I didn’t like it).

I know a lot of girls who were more impressed by JB than KB, regarding this. For instance, in JB, during the exchange, when it’s time for Jackie to steal the money and take power, part of her scam is that she goes buying clothes. She doesn’t buy a nice, pretty dress, but a 3 piece suit. dressing like a man is the symbol of her taking power over a bunch of guys.

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
I know a lot of girls who were more impressed by JB than KB, regarding this. For instance, in JB, during the exchange, when it’s time for Jackie to steal the money and take power, part of her scam is that she goes buying clothes. She doesn’t buy a nice, pretty dress, but a 3 piece suit. dressing like a man is the symbol of her taking power over a bunch of guys.
[/quote]

I just saw it as her buying a suit.

i did too. my girlfriend didn’t.

hi,

I’m Judit from Hungary, Budapest. so the thing is that currently I’m working on my thesis (I learn communication and media at the Corvinus University of Budapest), and my topic is the representation of woman in Q T’s films. and I’d like to ask for some help :-*

please answer these questions! :wink:

1: Your gender:

according to your oppinion…

2: Are the “tough women” characters in Quentin Tarantino’s movies (Kill BIll, 2nd part of Death Proof) good representations of the female gender? : Yes/No

3: Is it possible to view a ‘strong’ female character as a feminist predilection? : Yes/No

4: Is it degrading for women to bear male characteristics? : Yes/No

Thank you for your assistance!

2. Yes

3. No

4. No

*1. I think it’s pretty obvious :wink:

[quote=“B.J.”]
hi,

I’m Judit from Hungary, Budapest. so the thing is that currently I’m working on my thesis (I learn communication and media at the Corvinus University of Budapest), and my topic is the representation of woman in Q T’s films. and I’d like to ask for some help :-*

please answer these questions! :wink:

2: Are the “tough women” characters in Quentin Tarantino’s movies (Kill BIll, 2nd part of Death Proof) good representations of the female gender? : Yes/No

3: Is it possible to view a ‘strong’ female character as a feminist predilection? : Yes/No

[/quote]

We have a homework topic. :slight_smile:

[quote=“B.J.”]

[/quote]

1. m
  2. yes
  3. possible yes, but i dont think its the case here
  4. no

1. f

2. yes and no Some of the strong female characters are good representations of the female gender like the Bride for instance or Jackie Brown. I don’t necessarily think that all the strong female characters are good though Elle Driver for instance or O-Ren Isshi who were strong yes in a way but seemed to be devoid of any moral core. I don’t think you could define Elle as being good or a person a woman would want to pattern herself after.

3. Yes. I think in general you could but not in Tarantino’s films. His female characters tend to be strong like men but I don’t think that shows a feminist predilection in his work. I don’t think he really understands what it means to be a feminist.

4. No but what do you define as being a male characteristic…

[quote]1: Your gender:[/quote]
Female

[quote]according to your oppinion…

[/quote]
Yes

[quote]3: Is it possible to view a ‘strong’ female character as a feminist predilection? : Yes/No
[/quote]
Yes

[quote]4: Is it degrading for women to bear male characteristics? : Yes/No[/quote]
Fuck No! Unless it’s like a mustache or a cock or something.

[color=yellow]Hey just wanted to raise the issue of how in the first half of the movie women seems to be placed in a subordinate position to men. This is a theme which seems to run through horror movies such as Captivity, hostel, etc. What would you say as a cultural object which would link these films together as a possible symbolism to relate this to, and in what way. Maybe cars! Not sure. Whadya think?

P.S. I am not a feminist, just a student trying to get a discussion going for research purposes. ???

Ahah. Wouldn’t be that bad to be a feminist. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you doing a paper on the general issue or focused on Tarantino’s work ? Cause if it ain’t 100% Tarantino, you won’t get much replies here on a Tarantino board…

Hi there guys.

I’m currently doing a research assignment, which is based on the idea of making 3 research questions on a genre or author/director which will help to expand my understanding of my chosen topic and develop judgments. I have of course chosen Tarantino as he is awesome.

I need to choose 4-5 of his movies, and come up with my 3 questions.

I’ve thought it would make more sense to create my questions first and then choose my texts based on them. The questions need to be open ended, and it would make it much easier if they were quite relevant to his films.

Ideas so far:

1.To what extent does the context influence the director?

2.What are the common features in his films? - needs to be more open ended.

3. What do the key relationships shown in texts reveal about the director?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hello everybody,

I seem to be the umpteenth person here posting about an essay or research, but I’m doing my dissertation on Tarantino fandom, and how Tarantino fans see themselves and what it means to be a fan. I’ve narrowed it down to fans of Pulp Fiction, but I really need all Tarantino fans’ opinions. You can either do a two part survey (which takes no longer than two minutes) or volunteer to be interviewed (which would be awesome!) So yeah, here’s the survey:

Part 1: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WNCZTFG

Part 2: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WPTLF9X

Thanks so much in advance!!