Official Homework and term-paper question topic

Hi, I am doing a critical research project of Quentin Tarantino for my A2 media studies course. In particular I am studying the role of women the films written and directed by QT. For my research I would really be thankful if some people could answer this short questionnaire.

1. In “Resevoir Dogs” there are no main female characters, though a few are mentioned and seen. How do you think the inclusion of a substantial female character would’ve affected the film?

2. Do you think the themes in “Resevoir Dogs” are typically masculine? Betrayal, Loyalty, Violence?

3. What are your opinions about the scene where a woman is shot by Mr.Pink? Do you think this reflects gender equality or male superiority, or neither?

4. Do you think it is more shocking that a woman is shot rather then a man?

5. In “True Romance” how is Alabama represented? A stereotypical blonde? or strong minded woman?

Thank you for participating

1. Reservoir Dogs was a film inspired by previous heist films and the crime genre. Although the crime genre isn’t a majority masculine genre like westerns or war films, these types of films are typically masculine. And Dogs is a typically masculine film in my opinion. But if a female was included, then maybe it would have worked if the idea was changed only a little.

2. The themes in Dogs, I believe to be masculine in the way that Tarantino discusses them. The idea of honour presented in the film is akin to a kind of brotherhood. And that male-male relationship, the love between men (that is never homosexual, but what Australians would call mateship) is something that wouldn’t work in a female-male (the sexual tension between the sexes ensures that) relationship or a female-female relationship in the same way. As far as violence goes, it’s stupid to say that violence is only a masculine issue, but the idea of going to war and taking by force comes across in this context as completely masculine. I believe that violence is inherent in all men and explains why men desire to join the military, watch violent films and play violent games. It’s a part of our nature.

3. To me, it doesn’t represent a male superiority, but instead I think because of this all-male cast and the hard criminals all being violent males, the woman is used to represent innocence. It would be too easy to associate another man with the men who are the main characters in the film. The effect of Pink attacking a innocent person would be lessened if it were a male.

4. Yes, see above question.

5. Alabama to me is a strong-minded woman. This can be seen clearly when she is beaten in the hotel room. She laughs it off like a male character. She braves it out for her man. Her courage is an admirable quality. Her speech pattern and her cute blond looks give the impression that she is nothing more than a naive little girl, but that scene proves otherwise. And the same with the end scene. I don’t really think that Tarantino is capable of writing anything other than strong-minded women in main roles.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

hello im doing some research for an exam i have coming up this tuesday 22nd.

im hoping that fans of tarantino would fill out my questionnaire with honest answers :slight_smile:

my topic for my exam is ‘women in film’ i have chosen to see ‘what extent women in tarantino films challenge laura mulveys theory of the male gaze’ and im focusing on uma thruman in kill bill volumes 1 and 2 and pulp fiction

basically laura mulveys theory of the male gaze is that:

• spectator in postion of the male subject
  • women: passive objects (objects of desire) role to please male audiences (to-be-looked-at-ness)
  • male is subject of film - audience identify with him and are interested in him - story about him
  • audience gain pleasure form looking - enjoy spectacle of the female
  • male gaze - watch films from a male point if view
  • female audiences learn to read films form a male poin of view and appreciate male gaze: objectifying women

my questionnaire:

1. are you male or female?
  2. age?
  3. do you think uma thurman (kiddo and wallace) is represented sexually? (can you think of any key scene supporting your answer)
  4. what do you enjoy about the performances by uma thurman? (can you think of any key scene supporting your answer)
  5. do you think more males wouls watch kill bill(s) and pulp fiction than females? (can you elaborate on your answer)
  6. do you think uma thurman is portrayed as the object or subject of each film? (can you think of any key scene supporting your answer)
  7. do you think uma thurman (kiddo and wallace) is protrayed as more masculin or feminine? (both characters in each film) (can you think of any key scene supporting your answer)
  8. what is your favourite scene of with uma thruman in both kill bill(s) and pulp fiction? (can you elaborate on your answer)

9.do you think tarantino portrays women (kiddo and wallace) positivley or not in kill bill(s) and pulp fiction? (can you elaborate on your answer)

10 do you think tarantino shows great respect towards the women (kiddo and wallace) within kill bill(s) and pulp fiction? (can you elaborate on your answer)
  9. how would you in great detail describe uma thurmans characters in kill bill(s) and pulp fiction? (can you elaborate on your answer and individually describe on them)

thank you if you answer sorry if i bother you too much :slight_smile:

hope it gets replied oh well thank you

1. Male

2. 20

4. She is a strong woman with qualities that males can still relate to easily.

5. Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill are both pretty popular films and therefore attract a wide range of people, but because of the title Kill Bill, I’d say that the majority of people initially attracted to the film were probably male.

6. The use of voice-over in Kill Bill presents the film as somewhat of Uma’s viewpoint, but in Pulp Fiction she is merely another character and because of the audience’s previous knowledge of Vince Vega, it in a way feels like Vince’s view during the Jackrabbit Slim’s scene.

7. I think she is feminine in both films (the baby aspect in Kill Bill and her varying emotions are distinctly feminine about her).

8. what is your favourite scene of with uma thruman in both kill bill(s) and pulp fiction? (can you elaborate on your answer)

9. Contrary to what people say about his female characters still being violent like men, the fact of the matter is that all of Tarantino’s characters are like this and it fits into the style of the film. For the kind of women that he writes, they are positive stances.

I answered some of them, the others I can’t really answer without writing like multiple paragraphs (which I don’t want to do right now).

Anybody want to help catiet with his/her questionnaire?

im a her :smiley:

[quote=“Ify”]
Anybody want to help catiet with his/her questionnaire?
[/quote]
Not me.

Sorry :-[

[quote=“Eastern Beauty”]
Not me.

Sorry :-[
[/quote]

Why post then? You silly billy :stuck_out_tongue:

my questionnaire:

1. male

2. 20

3. In no shape or form, she is what she is and her sexuality is never exploited in such a fashion that would demean women. A great example would be the Kill Bill movies, she is a strond, indipendent woman who fights for her life and exacts her revenge on her former counterparts who have literally destroyed her life and killed her baby (or at least she thought). None of the action is taken out of context it’s all in the parameters of the dramatic need that she must fulfill.

4. I like how she embodies her characters. When you see her she is not playing the role of Beatrix Kiddo, she IS Beatrix Kiddo. In most heroine-based films the characters tend to nod at us - (Tomb Raider, Underworld, etc.), Uma really works in her character and tries to make her believable and real, she becomes dimensional and we slowly learn more about her little by little.

5. I think gender is out of the question. It’s all about what the person identifies with the most. Am I going to like for example, “Marie Antoinette” if there’s no action and if there’s a woman in the lead? The answer is yes, I’ll give it a chance, because i’m open-minded when it comes to watching film, I tend to give everything a chance. When it comes to watching a film I think that gender becomes obsolete, you’re just there to be entertained and watch a great film. I identify with Million Dollar Baby, and there’s a female in the leading role, I’m there to have fun and watch a classic story that uplifts you, even in the end - the overall message of trying and overcoming obstacles in life is resonant and stayed with me.

6. Well she is trying to escape her old life for the sake of her daughter. Therefore she is the subject. She DECIDES to do this and the outcome of it is basically the entire film. Her actions have sparked an act of hatred and vengeance upon her, and her former colleagues/friends turn against her and leave her for dead. And upon awakening from her four year comma she takes it upon herself to exact vengeance on all of those who wronged her and left her for dead. She causes things to happen - everyone revolves around her world, so everyone else illuminates her character, we know more about her after she confronts every single one of her enemies.

Like in the midst of her battle against Oren, she cries, that’s a friend that she is facing. She used to love her and now she has to kill her because of what she did, it’s all part of a revenge movie.

7. Again the subject of her gender is completely irrelevant. But if you ask me she’s just a woman with nothing to lose. In the past when she was with Bill, she was different, she had a different way about her and was happy, but as she illustrates in the VO near the end she says that once that strip turned blue everything had changed. Bill and herself no longer mattered, that baby that she was going to bring to this earth deserved to be born in a world without violence and hatred. She basically sacrifices everything for her, so it shows strong reilience in her part. And I personally don’t see how gender becomes a factor in this.

8. My favorite scene in Kill Bill would be the “Superman speech” given by Bill. It makes us understand how Beatrix functions, it tells us what she is, because she admits her pleasure in killing people…

Say this to your teacher:

Laura Mulvey is a fucking bitch who never got fucked har enough.

don’t mind the typos, I typed this shit really fast…

1. are you male or female? Male

2. age? 33

3. do you think uma thurman (kiddo and wallace) is represented sexually? (can you think of any key scene supporting your answer) No.

4. what do you enjoy about the performances by uma thurman? (can you think of any key scene supporting your answer) Her escape from the coffin. The memories she had of Pae Mei while in the coffin.

5. do you think more males wouls watch kill bill(s) and pulp fiction than females? (can you elaborate on your answer) Males. I’ve met few women who can stomach the films. It is for this reason I don’t watch "chick flicks"

6. do you think uma thurman is portrayed as the object or subject of each film? (can you think of any key scene supporting your answer) Subject.

7. do you think uma thurman (kiddo and wallace) is protrayed as more masculin or feminine? (both characters in each film) (can you think of any key scene supporting your answer) Feminine.

8. what is your favourite scene of with uma thruman in both kill bill(s) and pulp fiction? (can you elaborate on your answer) burried alive

9.do you think tarantino portrays women (kiddo and wallace) positivley or not in kill bill(s) and pulp fiction? (can you elaborate on your answer) very positively. She kicks ass…as do the other women. Even the cab driver is cool - she’s turned on by the fact that Butch killed a man. QT talks about things that people are afraid to admit.

10 do you think tarantino shows great respect towards the women (kiddo and wallace) within kill bill(s) and pulp fiction? (can you elaborate on your answer) Yes

11. how would you in great detail describe uma thurmans characters in kill bill(s) and pulp fiction? (can you elaborate on your answer and individually describe on them)

woah, what school do these guys go to that they get to write essays on Quentin Tarantino movies - i gotta get me some a’ that!

hi please could you comment or give your views on the following question for my A2 media studies project: ;D

Do you notice any differences in how Quentin Tarantino represents women in his films (inpartiular Kill Bill, Death Proof, Jackie Brown) compared to other action/gangster films from other directors???

thanks ;D

[quote=“furey02d”]
hi please could you comment or give your views on the following question for my A2 media studies project: ;D

Do you notice any differences in how Quentin Tarantino represents women in his films (inpartiular Kill Bill, Death Proof, Jackie Brown) compared to other action/gangster films from other directors???

thanks ;D
[/quote]

[color=navy]I moved your post to the correct thread.

And yeah, I’ll give you a tip - make sure you spell his name correctly! :wink:

I am a Georgia State University student doing a project on Quentin Tarantino. I know that there are hundreds of people on this site asking the exact same questions as I am, but I still need to ask them for the sake of my paper. Extra information would be appreciated and if you think of any good questions, please repost them along with the original ones. Thanks for your time.

1. What was the first Tarantino film you ever saw?

2. Which is your favorite?

3. What qualities attract you to Tarantino’s films?

4.How would you respond to criticism of Tarantino’s films based on their violence?

5.Who (besides Tarantino) would you say is (are) your favorite director(s)?

6.Who is your favorite 1970s kung fu star?

I am a Georgia State University student doing a project on Quentin Tarantino. I know that there are hundreds of people on this site asking the exact same questions as I am, but I still need to ask them for the sake of my paper. Extra information would be appreciated and if you think of any good questions, please repost them along with the original ones. Thanks for your time.

1. What was the first Tarantino film you ever saw?

A: Kill Bill (2003)

2. Which is your favorite?

A: Must I really choose? Pulp Fiction

3. What qualities attract you to Tarantino’s films?

A: A sense of liberation. Not overly plotted. Tarantinotastic!

4.How would you respond to criticism of Tarantino’s films based on their violence?

A: Smoke a peace pipe you fagboys.

5.Who (besides Tarantino) would you say is (are) your favorite director(s)?

PT Anderson, George A. Romero, Martin Scorsese.

6.Who is your favorite 1970s kung fu star?

Kunp Pow Lee.

…I don’t have one. Oh wait, the guy from The One-Armed Swordsman. Yeah, him.

I’m doing an A level in media studies, and for my project I’ve been given the subject women and film. Basically I’m investigating the presentation of Women in QT films and if they are descriminated against etc.

Any opinions would be much appriciated, and before I start getting abuse, I’m a massive QT fan, and definately NOT a femminest out to get him. Cheers guys :slight_smile:

I know there’s at least a few topics on this particular subject. Do a quick search and it’s sure to help you with some opinions. :slight_smile:

Here will start you: <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.p … 021.0.html”>http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php/topic,5021.0.html</LINK_TEXT>

and… <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.p … 164.0.html”>http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php/topic,9164.0.html</LINK_TEXT>

Why does everyone think that feminism is a bad thing? Any feminists with a brain would at least appreciate what QT is trying to do for women in cinema.

You can argue that Quentin Tarantino makes women masculine in order to make them equal to men. Basically, you can argue that QT gives women male traits to make them equal to men, and from that idea you could draw another idea that therefore women are inferior unless they take on those traits, BUT, in QT’s case I don’t think that would apply.

Qt likes badasses. You can see it in his style, his dialgue, his plots, etc. I think in QT’s universe, because he makes men and women equally badass and equally interesting and compelling, that he is doing a lot of good for women in film by giving them roles that most people would never give to a woman. He also does it without feeling the need to always sex things up (although that happens too, and that’s fine as well). In Kill Bill Vol. 2, Uma spends a good amount of time being dirty and bloody. There’s nothing sexy about the fight between Elle Driver and the Bride(since a lot of people tend to sex up fights between two women), it might as well have been two men fighting. It was brutal. All of this takes away from core idea’s about femininity, something that all women are supposed to strive for. Femininity is not something you’re going to see much of in a Tarantino movie.

I’d go further with plunderbunnie’s analysis.

From my knowledge, feminism is a movement inspired by and for women who want to have the same rights as men. Thus, if you consider that men have to be dirty and badass in actions movie, then why couldn’t women be the same?

If feminists really want to be treated as equals to men, then they HAVE TO love QT movies, especially KB.

I don’t remember Jackie Brown very well but in RD, PF, KB and DP, women are definitely not discriminated or something, or shown as inferior to men in a feminist point of view (or what I imagine a true feminist point of view is).

When it comes to feminity, well…you have the girls’ night out in Death Proof to watch, ok, they drink in a bar, but they do it in a very feminine way (a bit cliché, even).

Also, I’d say that Mia in PF has the image of an alpha-female (if that makes sense), it’s like the hot mysterious girl who’s married to a powerful man who don’t take a shit from anyone, and who’s also the center of many rumours (the whole foot massage affair). She has humour, know to enjoy herself.

Actually, I just realized I find Uma very feminine in PF, and now that I think about it, the taxi driver and butch’s girl also are (can’t remember their names, what a shame, a crime even:p)

[color=blue]I merged the new topic with this one.

Some nice ideas guys, keep it up! :slight_smile: