The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

NIGHT IS DAY (production, preview etc)

Hey Guys and Girls

Just wanted to let you know that I’m finally picking up a camera (well 3!) and I’m going to take one of my scripts and make a film in April. It’s a sci-fi drama, it will be 25-30 minutes long, there will be cool guys with guns, drugs, fighting, special effects, good looking girls, violence and humour :slight_smile:

It’s called “Night is Day: Dusk” and if it does well enough we’ll make a full length version of it.

It’s being produced by me and my three friends and all of our actors are working for free. All details can be found at http://www.nightisday.co.uk - we’re constantly adding to the site and at the moment we have a teaser trailer for it based on some test footage we have.

Comments and guestbook entries would be most appreciated :slight_smile:

Thank you!

• Fraser

looks cool, in short films its all about the editing, dont spare on the special effects but dont make it too matrixy, make it surreal in a way, throw it all in the viewers face, good luck man looks great

That looks ace , i look forward to it

Thanks for the positive feedback guys - it’s appreciated.

The SFX will play a part in it simply because our main character is special :wink: but it won’t be anything like the Matrix… we couldn’t afford the cost of the strings :wink:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post some pictures from the upcoming DVD I’m making to promote the film, let me know what you think

thanks

• fraser

the teaser looks nice. very promising

the tagline on the poster reminded me of DEAD ZONE, but looks nice. Very nice.

Thanks guys :slight_smile: It’s good to get feedback from Tarantino fans :smiley:

Can honestly say that I’ve never seen the Dead Zone - I know of it, but I’ve never watched it.

Jason is Glasgow’s first superhero!

I’d really appreciate if you could sign the guestbook on the website :slight_smile:

http://www.nightisday.co.uk

Thank you :smiley:

• Fraser

Hey all,

Whilst I await the SFX for my first ever short film, “Night is Day” I have made a 6 minute preview and uploaded it to www.ukscreen.com/screen/200 for people to have a look and let me know what they think.

Fresh out of college and new to the world of filmmaking, I am aware that there are some minor flaws in the technical aspects of the film, but with every film I make, the more I can learn from them and maybe one day I’ll have a flawless film…I can but dream :wink:

Please check out the preview and let me know what you think of it. If you like it, please rate it on the UKScreen page. Thank you.

Also if you’d like to know what I’m up to at the moment then check out www.nightisday.co.uk/swf_main.htm

Cheers guys,

Take Care

• Fraser

- don’t put the credits in the beginning…on the internet people are easily bored and won’t watch your movie, just because the credits in the beginning take to long…

• the acting is really annoying…es spes the girl in the beginning and the guy that looks like vinnie jones…if you use someone who looks like a famous guy a lot, you cant help but compare him to the real vinnie…

• some beautiful shots though…only all from other movies…some godard, woo and richie stuff…

all and all: it shows potential, but leans to much to just copying from big directors, and I am sorry, but in a bad way…

Try and do something thats based on you, not on what others already did…

[quote=“tarantino_is_god”]
the guy that looks like vinnie jones…if you use someone who looks like a famous guy a lot, you cant help but compare him to the real vinnie…
[/quote]

haha oh shit, its him!

and if i understand the tagline correctly, isnt this an exact copy of “The Dead Zone”?

[quote=“tarantino_is_god”]

• don’t put the credits in the beginning…on the internet people are easily bored and won’t watch your movie, just because the credits in the beginning take to long…

• the acting is really annoying…es spes the girl in the beginning and the guy that looks like vinnie jones…if you use someone who looks like a famous guy a lot, you cant help but compare him to the real vinnie…

• some beautiful shots though…only all from other movies…some godard, woo and richie stuff…

all and all: it shows potential, but leans to much to just copying from big directors, and I am sorry, but in a bad way…

Try and do something thats based on you, not on what others already did…
    [/quote]

I appreciate the compliments but I’ve never seen any movies by Goddard (don’t know who he is) John Woo or Guy Richie, so I couldn’t exactly copy what they did. I just used what I learned from college :slight_smile:

As for Robert Harrison who looks like Vinnie Jones - fair enough, he looks like Vinnie Jones, but that’s not why we hired him. Robert is a great enthusiastic actor with a great presence. I’m sorry you couldn’t see past what he looked like to enjoy his performance.

Rachel Wisson who plays the girl at the start was a bit giggly, and if we had more time, I would had re-shot the scene, but sadly, time wasn’t on our side that night. She is a lot better in her other scene.

And finally, for the credits, yes, they are there for 30 seconds, but if people want, they can skip past them and watch the film. If they’d rather not watch it just because I feel the need to credit my cast and crew, then they are the people losing out :slight_smile:

Thanks for the compliments though

• Fraser

[quote=“Johny_Exhale”]
haha oh shit, its him!

and if i understand the tagline correctly, isnt this an exact copy of “The Dead Zone”?
[/quote]

Sadly like every other film out there, there are a few similiarities to other films already made. There’s not been an original film since the 1970’s…

Truth be told up until I started to film “Night is Day” back in April, I had never heard of “The Dead Zone” nor what it was about. In my film the main hero does get painful visions of how someone is going to die when he touches them, and when he touches people electricity zaps from his body into that person. As far as I’m aware, there is no electricity in “The Dead Zone”. But I promise you, it’s not a copy of "The Dead Zone"

Watch the preview and judge for yourself :slight_smile:

• Fraser

Don’t get me wrong, I am not bashing your movie…it’s really great that you re doing this…

it’s just: let go of the stuff they told you at college and use your own creativity…

the stuff in college is a good basis…but if you really wanna make something it has got to be interesting and new…and by new I don’t mean reinventing cinema…but show us your vision,your creativity…

now it just looks like a bad copy of stuff we all have seen before…and seen before in a better way…

Nobody wants to see a scene simular to the opening of pulp fiction done by crappy actors, who giggle, and look like tim roth, but don’t deliver…

what people are interested in is reinventing that opening of pulp fiction and seeing it in a new way…

and I liked the vinnie lookalike guy, he had good presence…but come on…nobody wants to see webster acting like samuel jackson…

and the acting isnt really what is the problem…its what you let your actors do…if the movie wasnt a copy or imitation but something of its own…

and you should really, really, really check out movies by godard, woo and ritchie…whats the reason you didnt see anything from them…almost impossible…