The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

MY TASK! Need your help!

I have been given a task in which I must trace through Pulp Fiction and find and identify half a dozen references – in dialogue or as images – to other popular works (litterature, films, whatever). Then, in an in depth argument that links these six references together, I must answer the question: “Pulp Fiction is clearly a film very much aware of its own origins in popular culture, but what comment is it making about that culture?�

I have certainly found some references for example that Jules just like Jack Nickolson in Batman tells his tagline before he executes. However I would really like to hear what you probably more Tarantino experts would say and hopefully could help me especially with what comments the film is making about pop culture.

Thanks heaps

Jonas

1. browse the pulp fiction section of this board

2. browse the pulp fiction section of tarantino.info

3. wait till this topic fills with answers :wink:

A good Example is when Butch wants to leave a pawn shop and he has to decide which weapon he want to use to free Marcellus when his conscience tells him to do so.

At first he takes the baseball bat - which is the weapon of choice of the main character from the move “Walking Tall”.

The next thing he picks up is a chainsaw. Does he want to be Leatherface from Texas chainsaw Massacre ?

In the end he takes the Samurai sword from Sonny Chibas “The Streetfighter” …

All whose heros are from movies that are generally considered “low-culture” Exploitation Flicks …

Whgich fits to the “low-literature” Pulp Fiction the title refers to and the book Vince is reading …

[quote] In the end he takes the Samurai sword from Sonny Chibas “The Streetfighter” …

.[/quote]

Not trying to be a nitpick, but Streetfighter isnt a samurai film. I think the sword in Pulp was just from Samurai films in general. But it said on the trivia track it was recalling Sonny Chiba in a specific samurai film.

I think Quentin said it was a nod to “the Streetfighter” in the Times DVD interview , but I could be wrong though…

[quote]

Not trying to be a nitpick, but Streetfighter isnt a samurai film. I think the sword in Pulp was just from Samurai films in general. But it said on the trivia track it was recalling Sonny Chiba in a specific samurai film.

[/quote]

I'm not sure, but I think there are 2 Streetfighter films. One's terrible, and about a video game with Jean claude van damme and the others a famous samurai movie with Sonny Chiba.

Theres the shitty van damme Street fighter, and theres about 4 Chiba Streetfighter movies

Streetfighter

Return of the Street Fighter?

Sister Street Fighter

Streetfighters revenge?

Never seen them though, I think I recorded all of them off of TV, definitely will someday

Now on to pop culture references

Jules talks about wlking the earth like cain from Kung foo

Jack rabbit Slims is reference to several 50’s stars

Mia talks about her charlies angels like TV series

Butch sings along "Smokin Cigarettes and watchin captain kangaroo"

Butch grabs the weapons as said earlier

Mia and Travolta dance, Travolta has danced before as we all know

The fact that the movies title is Pulp Fiction, Vincent is reading a Pulp novel, and all of the stories are classic Pulp stories twisted upside down

Jules is a nod to Blaxploitation characters of the seventies

Qt references his own movie(RD) and scripts a few times within PF

on a deleted scene you find out that Vincent is an Elvis man and not a Beatles man

Everyones cool like the Fonze

That’s all I could come up with off the top of my head.

The only thing I could think of is the fact that we as a society (QT’s characters more so) are raised with these characters so ingrained in our culture that they become like friends or relatives (to a certain extent, and I think movie nuts like us are even worse about it). Another way to look at it (and I never really thought of it before) is the fact that everyone in America has some dreams of hollywood (PF takes place in LA), of making it, of hobknobbing, because of the classic images of movie stars and glamour and wealth. Think of it, everyone want a piece of hollywood, no matter how small, that goes for the Independant and Art films(more accessable maybe the dream seems closer), or the big budget blockbusters. It is both a hopeful reflection of our country, and a dreadful reflection of it.

Just some thoughts though

[quote=“festus_taint”]
on a deleted scene you find out that Vincent is an Elvis man and not a Beatles man
[/quote]

Vincent dies sitting on the toilet, just like…

Elvis, if you aren’t sure

I though Elvis died in the Bath tub, right after he promised a chic that he wouldnt fall asleep in the tub…mind you Im not an Elvis fan, so I might be wrong here ???

[quote=“herbduck”]

I’m not sure, but I think there are 2 Streetfighter films. One’s terrible, and about a video game with Jean claude van damme and the others a famous samurai movie with Sonny Chiba.
[/quote]

Sonny Chiba’s Streetfighter is NOT a samurai movie, Winslow’s right. Even the title itself suggests so.

lolololol Jean Claude van damme as a Samurai ???

[quote=“MiaRose”]
lolololol Jean Claude van damme as a Samurai ???
[/quote]

I think he was briefly dressed as a samurai in Bloodsport. That shit was hilarious. Actually all the movie was hilarious. KUMITE! KUMITE!

[quote=“Jot”]
I though Elvis died in the Bath tub, right after he promised a chic that he wouldnt fall asleep in the tub…mind you Im not an Elvis fan, so I might be wrong here ???
[/quote]
That maybe true because when Vincent gets shot he fall in the bath tub.I think? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Scarface is on strike”]
I think he was briefly dressed as a samurai in Bloodsport. That shit was hilarious. Actually all the movie was hilarious. KUMITE! KUMITE!
[/quote]

lolol i gotta see bloodsport now…

he died on the toilet :’( :’( :’( also he is SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE BEATLES! >:(

[quote=“Jot”]
I though Elvis died in the Bath tub, right after he promised a chic that he wouldnt fall asleep in the tub…mind you Im not an Elvis fan, so I might be wrong here ???
[/quote]

That’s Jim Morrison. And the Beatles own Elvis.

lol, way to many famous ppl die in the bathroom…they should be more original, now me, I’d want to cark it like that Bronte guy or Tommy Cooper, now that would be stylish!

man…do you think all of these tributes and subtle dedictions/ connatations are actually intended/exist, or just made up by the interpretation of the audience …either way, it makes me feel very uncultured…I enjoy PF in a very superficial way :frowning:

i got these from a previous forum. have fun :slight_smile:

•    *    When Captain Koons visits the young Butch to give him his father’s watch, his recollections refer to an airman named “Wynocki” who transports the watch back to safety. “Wynocki” is the name of John Garfield’s character in Howard Hawks’ film Air Force (1943). Hawks is one of Tarantino’s favorite directors.
  •    After Butch kills Maynard, Marsellus Wallace says that he’s going to call some friends “to go to work on [Zed] with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.” In Charley Varrick (1973), a character named Maynard warns a bank manager that some mobsters “will go to work on you with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch”
  •    Wilson is the name of the fighter to whom Butch is instructed to lose.Wilson was also the name of the fighter against whom Terry Malloy took a dive in On the Waterfront (1954).
  •    The marquee where Butch boxes advertises the following fights:

“Coolidge vs Wilson” and “Vossler vs Martinez”. The first is a reference to United States Presidents Calvin Coolidge and Woodrow Wilson, the second is a reference to Russell Vossler and Jerry Martinez, who are two friends of Tarantino’s from when he worked in a video store. See also Crimson Tide (1995).
  •    The book that Vincent reads is “Modesty Blaise”, by 'ODonnell, Peter.In that book, a killer indulges in a Biblical rant very similar to that of Samuel L. Jackson’s character.
  •    When Vincent calls Lance on his cell phone, Lance is eating a bowl of Fruit Brute, a cereal from the older moster cereal family. Fruit Brute (which,along with Frankenberry, Boo Berry, and Count Chocula, make up the monster cereals) was the first of the type to be discontinued. Quentin Tarantino has held onto a box and drops it into scenes from time to time. It appeared in Reservoir Dogs (1992), too.
  •    Producer Danny De Vito starred in Twins (1988), whose main characters were Vincent and Julius - almost the same as Vincent and Jules in this movie.
  •    Mia calls Vincent “cowboy” - John Travolta starred in Urban Cowboy (1980). Vincent calls Mia “cowgirl” in return; Uma Thurman starred in Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1993).
  •    Fabienne says, “Any time of day is a good time for pie.” Alabama also says this in True Romance (1993), also written by Quentin Tarantino.
  •    Harvey Keitel’s character in this movie has the same specialized job as his character in Point Of No Return (1993).
  •    In a cut scene Vincent tells Mia he’s been fantasizing about being beaten up by Emma Peel of the Avengers. In 1998 Uma Thurman starred as Emma Peel in the movie Avengers, The (1998).
  •    John Travolta’s character, “Vince Vega”, is the brother of “Vic Vega”,aka “Mr. Blonde” from Reservoir Dogs (1992).
  •    The Ezekiel 25,17 speech made by Jules, was originally written for Harvey Keitel’s character in From Dusk Till Dawn (1996). But Tarantino,thinking that Dusk would never get made, started to cannibalize the script,which is why it appears in this film. In fact, only the first sentence of the"quote" is from the Bible, the rest is an invention.
  •    The most persistent theory, though, (most usually attributed to a friend of a friend who saw it posted on a message board by someone whose brother had read a report of a radio interview with Tarantino himself) is that it is Marcellus Wallace’s soul. It is an ancient belief that when the Devil takes a person’s soul, it is removed through the back of the head. When we see

the back of Marcellus’ head he has a Band-Aid covering the precise spot indicated by tradition for soul removal. Perhaps Marcellus sold his soul to the devil which would also explain why the combination to open the briefcase is 666.

*   When Vincent and Lance are attempting to give Mia the adrenaline injection, the board games “Operation” and “Life” are visible in the background.
  •    Jimmy (Tarantino) is wearing a t-shirt bearing the logo of “Orbit”,a local alternative newspaper in Metro Detroit, for which Tarantino did an interview when he was promoting Reservoir Dogs (1992). See also the WWW-links section.
  •    The show on the television behind young Butch is “Clutch Cargo” (195

Cool, this was very interesting.