Movie (& pop culture) Influences / References

Geek observation: Archie Hicox looks alot like Rod Taylor in Dark of The Sun in this image. Maybe its the beret. Rod happens to be in the same scene with him which cant be a coincidence.

winston churchill :stuck_out_tongue:

btw I added a few things to the movie references guide and the tracklist, maybe the movie references guide could use some spicing up “en lieu” of the tracklist published, i just started but i dont have time to finish it.

we dont have to copy the whole tracklist into th emovie references guide, but those movies that are just mainly in the tracks but not otherwise neatly referenced we could mention them in one sentence in that references guide, and mention the other public domain german tunes as pop culture references

I noticed that the game Diane Kruger and the germans are playing in the bar in IB was played in Coppola’s Marie Antoinette

really? but itsn’t it also a very common (drinking) game anyways?

wasn’t it already said that the drinking game is inspired by that episode of “The Office”?

There seems to be a lot inspired by The Office. Apparently the Bowie song from Cat People was just featured in it a few weeks ago.

war films of the 40ies and 50ies!!!

He talked about this genre in many interviews.

Five Graves To Cairo …

Which movies does the man mean?

Check out the pulp war films made by American International Pictures: Suicide Battalion, Hell Squad, Tank Battalion, Paratroop Command

Howard Hawks films: Air Force, Seargent York

Two references:

• When i was watching the trailer of Legends of The Fall in which Brad Pitt is lead, i saw a scene in which he is scalping. After i verified that Pitt’s character scalps in the movie. I think that a little one of the reasons why Tarantino wanted Pitt as a first name for Aldo is this reference. Because Tarantino loves this kind of actor filmography reference. Besides may be in a same way Natassja Kinski is wanted by Tarantino at first for Hammersberg character with his think that the Bowie’s song from Cat People will be used in Basterds.(The Legends of the Fall Trailer - YouTube at 1:58 exactly)

• Inglourious Basterds is not the only Tarantino film in which scalping is present. In Kill Bill the Bride killed O-Ren Ishii by scalping, so this is a self reference such as the baseball bat used by Donowitz is a reference to Pulp Fiction Butch killing tool menu. Thinking that Kill Bill script is written after Basterds, Kill Bill in fact has a reference to Basterds.

Besides, for people knowing the final line of the movie like me accidentelly from an interviewer or from reading script; i remember a similar line from somewhere but i’m not sure… May be someone can find it…

De Palma´s “Redacted”:

Has REDACTED been an influence?

He was a big De Palma fan.

Michael: points to Jim Yes?

Jim: Dwight tried to kiss me

Dwight: What?!

Jim: And I didn’t tell anyone because I’m not really sure how I feel about it.

Dwight: That is not true, redact it. REDACT IT!

Jim : Well I’m not actually making a formal complaint I just really think we should talk about it.

Dwight: Question. When a name is withdrawn, does that also apply to the permanent misbehavior file in New York?

Toby: …sure

The word redact is amazing

The baseball bat thing w/ Donny reminds me of Al Capone in The Untouchables. I think these two movies would make a great double feature actually. Theyre both based partly on real history but are like heightened film versions with different fictional characters added in.

- YouTube

[quote=“Pete”]
The baseball bat thing w/ Donny reminds me of Al Capone in The Untouchables. I think these two movies would make a great double feature actually. Theyre both based partly on real history but are like heightened film versions with different fictional characters added in.

- YouTube
[/quote]

Great find. DeNiro was such a sleeze in that movie!

[quote=“PFC Baelin Utivich”]
Great find. DeNiro was such a sleeze in that movie!
[/quote]

So great though. Could have done with an entire movie with him as Capone.

Anyone catch the Greta Garbo refrences in Operation Kino?

Mata Hairi and Queen Christina. 8)

I don’t think he references The Untouchables. So there was a baseball bat in that scene too, that doesn’t mean anything. It’s totally different.

Its not a specific reference, it just reminded me of that scene in Untouchables.

I have a question: could Tarantino’s fave revenge movies have had an influence on IB, generally speaking? ???

Scene with Archie talking to Stiglitz reminded me a bit of the scene in Conan The Barbarian when Conan is just sharpening his sword with a stone and Valeria and Subotai are convincing him not to kill Thulsa Doom that night.

The surname of an actress in Dark of the Sun matches the surname Shosanna used as an alias when owner of the movie theater.

The main theme of Dark of the Sun is heard in IB.

Check this out: Inglourious Basterds (2009) - Connections - IMDb.