Movie (& pop culture) Influences / References

List all the cool Basterd movie & pop culture references here! 8)

-------------------------

Aldo Raine…homage to actor Aldo Ray

General Ed Fenech…homage to actress Edwige Fenech

Hugo Stiglitz…homage to Mexican film actor Hugo Stiglitz

Hey I got a good one:

Inglorious Bastards (2009) is an homage to Inglorious Bastards (1977).

Bet ya all didn’t know that!

Never knew that! ;D

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
Inglorious Bastards (2009) is an homage to Inglorious Bastards (1977).
[/quote]

what? :wink:

I think its reasonable to expect a lot of Godardian influence in the Black and White section.

[quote=“Dantes Inferno”]
There’s gonna be a lot of Spaghetti Western-influence too. Didn’t QT say the film was going to be like a SW set in WWII? He did at least say that Inglorious Bastards will be to WWII what The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was to the Civil War.
[/quote]

I’m having a hard time visualizing this movie. QT said that it was going to be a modern WWII movie. He doesn’t want it to feel like a period piece, but like a modern everyday movie.

someone help me please.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Vincente Minelli, 1962), a WWII drama in which played a certain Yvette Mimieux.

guys, if u are looking for a movie the might have influenced tarantino’s Inglorious Bastards…i REALLY sugest u to watch The Eagle Has Landed with Robert Duvall and Michael Caine…that movie is very cool and is about a fictitios plot by the nazies to assassinate Winston Churchil…it made me think about Bastards all the way through it (and i have already readed quentin’s screenplay)

realy good movie

robert duvall plays a nazy officer who wears an eyepatch! the movie centers on the nazies actually…they arent the villains! heheh

the films reviewed on this webpage

http://dumbdistraction.com/content/view/76/42/

also, i havent read the script ( i want this movie to be a surprise) but. i was remembering QT saying he was going to also pay homage to director Willaim Whitney

+

[quote]also, i havent read the script ( i want this movie to be a surprise) but. i was remembering QT saying he was going to also pay homage to director Willaim Whitney
[/quote]

Yeah, he said in an interview for…new york times? Anyway, he said he was gonna include a scene with a dog or a horse getting friendly with one of the basterds. But, he also mentioned that it might actually not end up in the movie since the script is, you know, as long as the novel The Young Lions (by the way, it was made into a great war flick).

is Hicox a refrence to Doug Hicox the director who Did Brannagan and Zulu Dawn. Both were shown at a QT fest in Austin? Also Wicki could be Barnard Wicki the director of the german section of Longest Day as well as the star of Pabst’s (name checked in IB) Jackboot mutiny, the first kill hitler film.

Wicki, yes. made one of the quintessential anti war films (“The Bridge”), which was just remade for television here (again). The Bridge had a minuscule budget and paper (!) tanks…

Id say both those things sound very likely.

What are Tarantino’s Favorite War Films? Movies that have probably inspired his Spaghetti Western/Exploitation/'Guys-on-a-Mission homage/remake Inglorious Bastards.

Here’s some people can add to;

Inglorious Bastards (Dir. Enzo G. Castellari - 1977)

Casualties of War (Dir. Brian De Palma - 1989)

Battle of the Bulge (Dir. Ken Annakin - 1965)

Where Eagles Dare (Dir. Brian G. Hutton - 1968)

The Guns of Navarone (Dir. J. lee Thompson - 1961)

anymore?

Five for Hell

Battle Squadron

etc

edit: I have merged this with the movie references /influences topic.

Welcome to the forum btw, glad to have you with us

[quote=“ingloriousbastard”]
Battle of the Bulge (Dir. Ken Annakin - 1965)
[/quote]

do you know of a quote or anything to support this? just curious, I’m not sure if I’ve heard QT mention this before

IMDb says that it was referenced in an interview Tarantino had with Charlie Rose 2003. Don’t know what was said and I don’t have time to watch it.

Also: Eastern Condors, Dark of The Sun. Those are two of the main films that inspired him to start writing Basterds. He showed both at one of his QT Film Fests.

Im pretty sure Lenzi’s From Hell To Victory was another big inspirational film for Basterds.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Im pretty sure Lenzi’s From Hell To Victory was another big inspirational film for Basterds.
[/quote]

oh yeah. just watched five for hell. Garko’s character might be one model for Aldo Raine, although five for hell wasn’t really a good movie.