The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Men Women and Chainsaws

I was discussing Kill Bill with a friend of mine from UCLA. She told me that while QT was writing Kill Bill, he read a book called “Men Women and Chainsaws”. Its an interesting book about how genders are portrayed in horror films, slasher films and rape revenge films. If you can pick this book up, it would be good to learn more about psychological elements in films like “Repulsion”, “I Spit on Your Grave”, “The Exorcist” ,“Ms 45” and other female based horror- exploitation films.

Hey, Pete.  Cool tidbit of info!

I wonder where she heard that from?  Do you think you could find out?

It sounds interesting so I requested a copy for loan through my local library.  (They had to do an Inter-Library Loan because my local library system doesn’t carry it).

While looking up stuff on Carol J. Clover (the author of Men Women and Chainsaws), I found a couple of other non-fiction writers who sounded cool.

Laurent Bouzereau.

“Ultraviolent Movies: From Sam Peckinpah to Quentin Tarantino”

Stephen Prince.

He’s written books like:

“Savage Cinema: Sam Peckinpah and the Rise of Ultraviolent Movies”

“Screening Violence (Depth of Film Series)”

“Sam Peckinpah’s the Wild Bunch (Cambridge Film Handbooks)”

“The Warrior’s Camera”

(about Akira Kurosawa)

I’m definitely gonna check some of these out.  If you think they sound cool, check your library and see if they’re available.  If not- try an Inter-Library Loan!

I definitely want to read those books. Sam Peckinpah and Akira Kurosawa are 2 of my favorite directors. Ill try and find out where she heard it from.

Thanks very much for the reply :slight_smile:

Yeah when I was back at QT3 back in 1999 (3rd Annual Tarantino Film Fest)… Tarantino mentioned this book and went on a long discussion about it. He never really mentioned the book being any influence to any degree on him on writing Kill Bill… he did happen to have it recommended at a time when he was writing Kill Bill early on (early 1999)… so it could have provided early framework for Uma Thurman’s character… but who knows ultimately what influence it will have had since he has been writing Kill Bill for at least the last 3-4 years (finishing late last summer). He did seem to highly recommend the book as well as the Andrew Sarris book “American Cinema.”

Well I talked to my friend from UCLA again. She said she met Quentin through a mutual friend and they discussed the book and movies. Pretty cool. :slight_smile:

Badassmovieman: I wasnt really saying it influenced him to write the script to Kill Bill though, I just said he read it while he was writing it, so it helped him with the psychology of the female revenge film.

BTW: Very cool website man. (Badass Movie Images). 8)

They used to use that book in a class at my university. I think that’s pretty cool.