The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Making Web Sites

Anyone know where the best place to host a free website?

thats a really tough question.

first you have to consider that “free” doesn’t always mean FREE.

most free webspace offers include heavy restrictions, mostly associated with advertisement or regulations regarding what types of files you can have hosted.

second you should think about WHAT kind of website you want to make. if it is one involving lots of media or downloads/images a free web host will most likely not suffice and you should think about those various 4 bucks / month offers.

if you are serious you can also contact me and whe make out a deal. i own my own server so i have all freedoms of negotiating something with you.

what website are you planning?

Man, you’re going to hate the subdomain names anyway. There are like million offers I’ve seen and rejected because of stupid domain names like freehosting339, lksdfklh32lkh23 and so on. I use geocities they have a really nice system for managing files and page statistics, but they give only 15 mbs with like half page of ads.

Click my sig - could allways use that

yeah Im trying to make a tv/movie forum only website but I dont know shit about making one. I downloaded SWF, than I had to download winzip because it was a winzip file can any of you tell me what to do next, Im downloading a PHP now.

Also can you tell me what I’ll also need to download and what is PHP and MySQL

[quote=“rollingthunder”]
I downloaded SWF, than I had to download winzip because it was a winzip file can any of you tell me what to do next, Im downloading a PHP now.

Also can you tell me what I’ll also need to download and what is PHP and MySQL
[/quote]

oh my god ;D

dude… i just pissed my pants :wink:

the first thing you should do is lern a little what HTML is, and how the internet works. then you check out what PHP is and how it works with a MySQL database. neither PHP, nor MySQL will you have to “download”. HTML neither. html just works. html is some sort of text, that your browser interprets and displays.

check this out:

http://www.w3schools.com/

Im very new to this. Thanks for the link.

yeah knowing absolutely nothing about the web won’t help you much with all those acronyms, so i really recommend a few weeks of intense reading until you at least know what you’re dealing with here :wink:

theoretically then, you don’t need to DOWNload anything. you could use the text editor to make a very basic website in html and then UPload it to a place on the web

Seb what do you use ??

you can look at the bottom to answer your question

thx ;D ;D ;D

SMF is just an out-of-the-box forum software you only need to modify and set up. I didn’t “make” this forum. setting up a forum has nothing to do with making web sites really…

But the Site also have a box a the bottom… :wink: