The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Making a SUPERHERO

i was watching the DARKMAN trilogy dvd set i got and then i watched BATMAN TAS then today i watched THE SHADOW and got the idea of creating one for a story idea. I was wondering where i should start here. When i was asked about it, i was thinking somewhere along the lines of BATMAN+THE PUNISHER. The very depressing and harsh origin stories really intrigue me. And help would be appreciated,

create a flawed charater, no one wants to watch or read about a seemingly undesructable character this is one of the reasons spiderman is so popular because his problems are stuff that alot of people go through

Yeah, that’s very true Blonde.

Also, maybe you would like to take the direction of writing the alter-egos as two completely separate characters. When Bruce Wayne becomes Batman, he isn’t Bruce Wayne at all. Keep their lives and stories apart from each other. At least until a major confrontation happens, like when he’s been caught or found out.

[quote=“DangerMouse”]
i was watching the DARKMAN trilogy dvd set i got and then i watched BATMAN TAS then today i watched THE SHADOW and got the idea of creating one for a story idea. I was wondering where i should start here. When i was asked about it, i was thinking somewhere along the lines of BATMAN+THE PUNISHER. The very depressing and harsh origin stories really intrigue me. And help would be appreciated,
[/quote]

There are very few “comicsâ€

I’d suggest reading a lot of comics to get an idea of what’s been done and what hasn’t. Not just the mainstream DC/Marvel stuff either, there’s been a lot of really innovative stuff going on in comics over the last few years. Some that I would recommend ‘Invincible’ and ‘Robin’ these two are kind of like what Spider-Man used to really be about, the whole dual identity thing especially ‘Invincible’. ‘The Boys’ is also a really great and completely unique superhero story. There’s also Hack/Slash. It’s not a “superhero” story really but it’s pretty similar and has a more “tragic” hero.

I’ve been working on a Superhero for quite a few years now and I’m constantly going back and reading old comics only to learn my ideas aren’t nearly as original as I thought they were. Anyway, if you’re interested in doing some research check out http://www.freecomicbooks.org/

thanks guys for all the suggestions.

Read The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde :angel:

Put him in contrast with the time he is in. He has to stand for values that aren’t in that time accepted and present. Have him represent the stuff that is present on a collective unconscious level.

Ages since anyone was on here but I wanted to throw in my comments seeing as it’s ages since i’ve been in here.

I wrote a screenplay for an original superhero, had it critiqued by a screenwriter over in BHills and he ripped it to shreds a few months ago! To be honest I wrote the thing without really researching the ‘art’ of screenwriting too deep so I was writing it all wrong.

Anyway my way of coming up with a superhero was like some of the guys on here said already I tried to give him a power unique to himself but tried to make him easy to relate to so people could empathise. I will re-write it once I re-write the other script he tore apart. Massive fail on my part :slight_smile: Still I’ve improved the stories, scructure and characters and know now what I should have been doing all along.

Best thing is to write your character out but don’t keep it to yourself entirely. I would definately now discuss plot points and character aspects with a trusted mate who with their limited knowledge of the story etc would nit-pick the stuff you don’t really see yourself seeing as it’s your own personal project. At least then you get a sense for what’s good and what’s not so good and can fine tune the character that way.

Anyway, you might be a published millionaire by now…I am a bit late…