The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Lucio Fulci's Zombie AKA Zombi 2 (25 th Anniv.)

Listen up. Last night I had the privledge, no the HONOR, to attend the 25th Anniversary Screening of Zombie AKA Zombi 2. For those of you out there who dont know how this works, let me explain.

When George A Romero’s Dawn of the Dead was released overseas, it was released under the name “Zombi”. During this time, Lucio Fulci was directing cheesy horror films, spaghetti westerns, and war movies in Italy. Producers pushed Fulci to jump on the “Zombi” band wagon and make a sequel. And so he did. Filming a movie about a deserted ship in bay at NYC, a zombie is found on board and kills a cop. The daughter of the man who owns the boat is brought in and questioned about where her father is. She travels to some far off island where her father was last known to be. Strange things are happening on the island. Many people are contracting a “disease” and diying, then coming back to life. The natives claim it to be voodoo (one of the many other names for this film). You know the rest zombies come out attack and people die horrible violent deaths then return for more. Great film for any horror/gore fan.

This was the first time I’ve seen it on the big screen, and it was AMAZING. The print was an original 35mm version of the film. The title card read on the film “Zombies 2”. So they dont even know where this version came from. I own this movie on DVD, but to my suprise it was much different. Last night was the first time anybody in US had seen the FULL UNCUT VERSION of the film. I thought it was gory before, but wow!!!

The thing that stood out the most, was a throat ripping scene. A zombie came up and bit this girl right on the throat. I have seen every gory film out there, but that scene topped it. It looked so real, especially for that time. Shriek Show was also suppose to do a pre-street release of the 25th Anniv. 2 DVD set of Zombi 2. But they never made it. But, they did do a sayonce to resurrect the spirit of Fulci before the film. All in all it was a great experience. They also made us fill out papers saying that if we were to have a heart attack or nervous breakdown due to the movie, it was not their fault. LOL. The version I saw will be available to buy on a regular DVD or the 2 Disc uncut version, this Tuesday Jul 27. I hope some of you will be picking this up. I will post a review of the 2 Disc set either tuesday or wednesday.

Cool, look forward to your review. I havnt seen this film but i want to buy the dvd you speak of.

[quote] When George A Romero’s Dawn of the Dead was released overseas, it was released under the name “Zombi”. During this time, Lucio Fulci was directing cheesy horror films, spaghetti westerns, and war movies in Italy. Producers pushed Fulci to jump on the “Zombi” band wagon and make a sequel. And so he did.[/quote]

I get the feeling you’re implying that Fulci ripped of Dawn of the Dead. When Dawn of the Dead came out inn 79, the script for Zombi 2 was already finished and it also began shooting around that time. The only thing that is a little on the edge, is that LAST scene, that was shot by the producers after Dawn of the Dead had received so much success. After Fulci had made Zombi 2.

• Fulci didn’t even like Dawn of the Dead.

[quote]

I get the feeling you’re implying that Fulci ripped of Dawn of the Dead. When Dawn of the Dead came out inn 79, the script for Zombi 2 was already finished and it also began shooting around that time. The only thing that is a little on the edge, is that LAST scene, that was shot by the producers after Dawn of the Dead had received so much success. After Fulci had made Zombi 2.

• Fulci didn’t even like Dawn of the Dead.
    [/quote]

He didnt rip off Romero. They do things differently with Ialian films. The movie had nothing to do with Dawn of the Dead or was even influenced that much by it. They just used the name to sell it. There were other movies Fulci based Zombie off of, there’s three main ones but I forget there names. Ill search for it then post my find. Most fans of Zombi 2 agree that it would have worked much better as a prequel to Dawn then a sequel. The funny thing is, in an interview with George Romero, he claims to have never even seen Zombi 2. That just boggles my mind. This man made the zombie and horror movies what they are today. And he never saw one of the most popular of both genres. Let alone an overseas sequel to his best movie ever. Somebody should have at least told him about it. Poor Georgey, his mind is gone from writing the 4th Living Dead movie for so long. I think he’s turning into a zombie, slowing losing his memories. Or maybe thats just alzheimer’s kickin in.

[quote]He didnt rip off Romero. They do things differently with Ialian films. The movie had nothing to do with Dawn of the Dead or was even influenced that much by it. They just used the name to sell it.[/quote]

Glad to see you agree :wink:

[quote]There were other movies Fulci based Zombie off of, there’s three main ones but I forget there names. Ill search for it then post my find.[/quote]

Oh please do, I can’t say I’ve heard anything about that.

[quote]The funny thing is, in an interview with George Romero, he claims to have never even seen Zombi 2. [/quote]
He really should see it. I mean it’s one of the best zombie movies out there.

It must be alzheimer :smiley:

While it’s not a direct rip-off of Dawn of the Dead, this movie was still made to cash in on its success. That doesn’t make it any less original, but that’s the way they do things in Italy.

Hey, what all is added in the uncut version and how many minutes longer is it?

I didnt get my copy. For some reason every store in my area claims that it got pushed back to either August 10, or September 7. Which is bullshit because almost all online stores sell it already. Such as Amazon.com, and if they have it then it must be out. I just think Best Buy and Circuit City suck with gettin these movies in on time and dont want to admit it. So I guess I’ll either have to wait til somebody around me gets it, or spend $25 for it on Amazon.

As to what more you get and how long it is. It’s the full uncut version. Thats all it says, it doesnt say how long this version is. There’s all kinds of new interviews, commentaries, documentaries, photo galleries and a poster reproduction insert. It’s an Anchor Bay release so you know it will all be good shit. They do such great jobs with their DVD’s. They have a one disc version, but why would you get that. If you just want the movie buy the version thats out now for $9. But if you want the “true” Special Edition of Zombi 2, then you have to get the 2 Disc 25th Anniversay Version.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de … ance&s=dvd”>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009WVNT/qid=1091263876/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-3954472-7079918?v=glance&s=dvd</LINK_TEXT>

[quote]While it’s not a direct rip-off of Dawn of the Dead, this movie was still made to cash in on its success.[/quote]

How is that possible if they had plans on making the movie before Dawn of the Dead was even released?

[quote]

How is that possible if they had plans on making the movie before Dawn of the Dead was even released?
[/quote]

Yeah, but think about when it was released and that might tell you something.

is this the same guy that did zombi3, and all the films named “zombie” but spelled them different ways?

[quote]is this the same guy that did zombi3[/quote]

Lucio Fulci directed only 15 minutes of the Zombi 3. The producers allowed former housepainter Bruno Mattei to take over the director´s chair.

[quote]and all the films named “zombie” but spelled them different ways?[/quote]

No, he was only involved in Zombi 2 (aka Zombie aka Zombie Flesh Eaters) and Zombi 3 (aka Zombie Flesh Eaters 2)

[quote=“ZoDiAc”]
[quote]is this the same guy that did zombi3[/quote]

Lucio Fulci directed only 15 minutes of the Zombi 3. The producers allowed former housepainter Bruno Mattei to take over the director´s chair.
[/quote]

I think he did a little bit more then that. But Mattei was brought in because Fulci died while filming this movie.

No can do, my friend ;D

The movie was made in 1988, Fulci didn’t die until 1996…

great movie!and its not some sequel as you said…

[quote=“kill olle”]
[/quote]

who said it was a sequel?

[quote=“B_Rocka”]
[quote=“kill olle”]
[/quote]

who said it was a sequel?
[/quote]dint that dude say that lucio fulci wanted to do a sequel of Dotd? and that was zombie 2???

In Europe, it was called Zombi 2 (while Dawn of the Dead was called Zombi, I believe) in order to cash in on Dawn’s success and make more moola. Kinda like how Harvey Weinsten puts the words “Quentin Tarantino presents” over the title of Hero, even though he wasn’t involved in the actual making of the movie

What’s funny about Zombi 3, which is a complete disaster, primarily because of the script which I heard Fulci ripped to pieces and threw into a garbage bin ;D

The funny thing is even though Fulci detests the very own existence of the film, the other guy who filmed the last 60 minutes or so still says that the film is a Lucio Fulci film. I saw the interview in the Zombi 3 disc, just don’t recall the name of the guy who replaced Fulci. He said that Zombi 3 is still a Fulci film, which is a total lie. I also heard Fulci was sick, that’s another reason why he left the project, they were filming in the same set used in Apocalypse Now and Zombi 2 which had very high temperatures. Would have been great if Fulci had done a sequel to The Beyond, weird yet artistic ending, I love that film.

Zombi 3 was pretty cool to watch it isent thaat bad.