The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Laser Disc

What the hell is this so called “laser disc” I keep hearing about

Man you have your head stuck in your ass, LAserdisc was before VCD, they looked like records and they flipped at the halfway point. Criterion used to make them.

This is a laserdisc:

or ive been to young to care about movies till a year ago…

Man those look lame.

Yeah, the lazer disc was to movies what 8-track tapes were to music: COMPLETELY UNNECCESARY

laser disc is for fags

Yeah, lazerfags!

FUCK YOU! Laser has better picture and sound than VHS, being capable of 5.1 and even DTS, it was a prehistoric DVD, and they had special features as well, many-a-laserdiscs’ features have never surfaced on DVD, such as the very sought-after Taxi Driver Criterion, with the Scorcesase/Shrader commentary track.

VHS is for fags!

Plus most of the movies were in widescreen.

In like 10 years, ppl will have HD-DVD, and be saying how gay DVD was, never having seen one themselves.

[quote]FUCK YOU! Laser has better picture and sound than VHS, being capable of 5.1 and even DTS, it was a prehistoric DVD, and they had special features as well, many-a-laserdiscs’ features have never surfaced on DVD, such as the very sought-after Taxi Driver Criterion, with the Scorcesase/Shrader commentary track.

VHS is for fags!

Plus most of the movies were in widescreen.

In like 10 years, ppl will have HD-DVD, and be saying how gay DVD was, never having seen one themselves.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Laserdisc and VCD were the shit back in the day. My uncle had a machine and we had good times expricencing 5.1 and good movie quality.

Buono and Mr Transluscent

fuck/off

Hey, I’ve seen a lazer disc, and they were no better than DVD’s. They took up more space, had less special features, and were obsolete before they had time to be cool.

All i’ve seen of laserdisc are those shitty ass movies in science class that always say “loading” every 2 seconds. And those sucked mucho dick. :’(

Bullet

i’m/sorry/for/expressing/my/opinion/please/don’t/tell/me/to/fuck/off/that/really/hurts/my/feelings

You don’t have much of an opinion when you just say “laser disc is for fags”. You just make yourself look stupid and ignorant.

That’s why I backed it up with another post, yo. You sound stupid and mildy ignorant when you tell people to fuck/off every 3rd post.

[quote]Hey, I’ve seen a lazer disc, and they were no better than DVD’s.  They took up more space, had less special features, and were obsolete before they had time to be cool.[/quote]
Uh, ok, ur 15, how would u know how much “time” laserdiscs had to “be cool”? Laser is cool, you ignorant fuck, uve see a laserdisc, a, not many, not even a few, one, uno. Nobody said they were better than DVD, their obviously not, but they were like a film geek only type of thing, (and avid home theater ppl), it was a better way to enjoy your favorite movies, before there was even such a thing as DVD. No fucking shit they werent better, theirs just some stuff that was on laser, thats not on DVD (yet). thats why i bought a player. and why ru saying this bullshit? in the early '90s, what would u rather watch, a stretched out VHS pan+scan copy of Pulp Fiction, or the 4 disc Criterion widescreen 5.1 Laserdisc, loaded with all the same exact stuff as the DVD (sans the trivia track)? I think youd choose the later. If u think laser is stupid, u obviously dont like movies that much.

Wow, much rage for the lazerdisc. Look, I understand that I’m too young to truly grasp the lazerdisc, and I ain’t sayin’ it wasn’t good when it was new. But vinyl records were cool in the 70’s and 80’s. Then DVD’s and CD’s came along. Lazers and records are still great and all, just not compared to today’s standards.

i still collect vintage records, the sound’s not that good, but i love my old records ;D

fuck off Mr.T, vinyl rocks.

Yeah I prefer vinyls to cd aswell, better music was on vinyl like the beatles, and doors…

I’ve actually never seen Qtfightclub flame someone like that before.

I’m not the biggest fan of vinyl records though.

Keep in mind that there’s laserdiscs out there that have/had better special features than their DVD counterparts:

Taxi Driver and Raging Bull-Both had Scorsese audio commentaries. TAXI had some funny storyboards for the shootout and BULL had (I think) bonus footage of the real Jake LaMotta.

Menace II Society-Uncut version. Still not seen on DVD yet.

Bram Stoker’s Dracula-Commentary and documentaries.

Peter Jackson’s The Frighteners-Had a TON of extras. But a special edition of the dvd will probably get made since Jackson’s a household name now.

Blade Runner-The International theatrical cut. Still not seen by many.

Supercop-Yes, this was actually part of the Criterion label at one time. It had the Cantonese track,deleted scenes,and other stuff.

Dead Presidents-Had a commentary,deleted scenes,a Blaxpoitation documentary,music video,and other stuff. The DVD aint got jack shit but a trailer.

Sling Blade-Had a Billy Bob commentary.

Yeah, QTFightclub must have been really pissed off to talk like that. Chill out Travis. :slight_smile:

The funniest thing about Criterion and Laserdic is that they used the same commentary track recorded for the Chasing Amy Laserdic on the subsequent DVD release; and 5 seconds into it Kevin Smith says something like “Fuck DVD!”. That was a real hoot to listen to. ;D

Ok, I’m done in here, i think i proved my point. And btw, Mr. Trans. its spelled laSer, with an ‘S’, not a ‘Z’. :-/