Kill Bill: Pop Culture Connections

[quote]I think this is one of the most interesting topics on the board, thanks to VicVega.

I dunno if this is new or not… but Candy Ralston (Uma uses this in the script as an alias) is a nod to Candy Rialston (who was in Joe Dante’s Hollywood Boulevard). We all know Tarantino’s a Dante fan (see his introduction to Harry Knowles’ book where he mentions meeting him when he was 18 years old!).

Also, Candy Rialston was an influence on the Melanie (whose last name happened to be Ralston) in Jackie Brown.

[/quote]

I was reading somewhere that when Quentin was 18 or 19 he was going write a book on Joe Dante, John Milius and some other directors. I guess he never got around to it. Ive seen a few of Dante’s films including Pirahna and Gremlins. Id like to check out Hollywood Blvd sometime.

L. Driver! Thats awesome! I knew that was a reference to something! :slight_smile:

[quote]

I was reading somewhere that when Quentin was 18 or 19 he was going  write a book on Joe Dante, John Milius and some other directors. I guess he never got around to it. Ive seen a few of Dante’s films including Pirahna and Gremlins. Id like to check out Hollywood Blvd sometime.

L. Driver! Thats awesome! I knew that was a reference to something! :slight_smile:
[/quote]

He was saying that he was gonna write a book but never intended too. He was only using that so he could talk to some filmmakers. He did get to interview Brian De Palma though. Although he never came out with the book, that interview did appear in one of the Projections volumes.

[quote]
Showdown in Little Tokyo…that’s a good movie.I like the fight in that bath house.I miss the times of all those wild action movies from the 80’s/early 90’s.

I hope Kill bill will spark a revival in violence and exploitation! Sadly with the ridiculous censorship in the US/England,it will take a minor miracle.[/quote]

Showdown in Little Tokyo was the movie I thought of when I read the part in Kill Bill when the Bride chops off the arm. I bet QT saw Little Tokyo.

First of all sorry if this was mentioned before. (Haven’t been around since mid July and I’m hyped with all these reviews.) In P. Roberts’ script review of chapter four he/she mentions Hanzo’s teachings:

[quote]HANZO (JAPANESE) When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior’s only concern… This is the first and cardinal rule of combat… Suppress all human emotion and compassion… Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God, or Buddha himself… This truth lies at the heart of the art of combat… Once it is mastered… Thou shall fear no one… Though the devil himself may bar thy way…[/quote]

This is almost word for word of the intro narration of Chiba’s old TV series, The Yagyu Conspiracy:

[quote]The secret doctrine of Ura Yagyu [Yagyu Spy] states: Once engaged in battle fight to win. That’s the first and cardinal rule of battle. Suppress all human emotions and compassion. Kill whoever stands in your way, even if that be God or Buddha. Only then can one master the essence of the art. Once it is mastered, thou shall fear no one. Though the Devil himself may block the way.[/quote]

That’s according to the english subs but Chiba’s gonna do it in Japanese so there’s probably not much difference.

Roberts also mentions (in his/her chapter three review) something about reciting a secret “Yagu” (instead of Yagyu) ninja code. This must be a typo.

[quote]First of all sorry if this was mentioned before.  (Haven’t been around since mid July and I’m hyped with all these reviews.)  In P. Roberts’ script review of chapter four he/she mentions Hanzo’s teachings:

This is almost word for word of the intro narration of Chiba’s old TV series, The Yagyu Conspiracy:

That’s according to the english subs but Chiba’s gonna do it in Japanese so there’s probably not much difference. ÂÂ

Roberts also mentions (in his/her chapter three review) something about reciting a secret “Yagu” (instead of Yagyu) ninja code.  This must be a typo.  [/quote]

Yeah it was a typo, sorry about that. Im not too familiar with Samurai films from Japan, but Im trying to see more. I have several of Kurosawas films, but thats it for Samurai stuff in my collection.

No big whoop. After reading the (typo filled) script it’s also spelled without the second Y.

Check out this site: The Ninja Dojo

For those interested it features a trailer (2.17Mb) of the Yagyu Conspiracy series in which Chiba (as Jubei) cuts down three kabuki weirdos, while the secrets of the Ura Yagyu Doctrine is narrated by some dude (hope it’s Chiba himself to get the full Kill Bill effect). Just click on series and go to the Yagyu Conspiracy section.

THE BRIDE and KHAN NOONIEN SINGH

We all know that Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan inspired QT to write Kill Bill and influenced the character of The Bride as a revenge seeker. Look at The Bride and Khan side by side, I noticed that QT added a little detail that may very well be something signifigant in my argument about this.

Specifically THE HAIR OF BOTH CHARACTERS. This HAS to be on purpose.

I think you’re stretching a bit with that one. I mean, in that particular photo their fringe looks similar, but it’s a pretty standard fringe - as fringes go. The rest of their hair is nothing alike. Khan basically has a mullet!

One thing that photo highlights though is that the blood on The Bride looks brown. Do you think they digitally altered it that way for the teaser to get a G rating and will change it to red for the actual movie?

[quote]
I think you’re stretching a bit with that one. ÊI mean, in that particular photo their fringe looks similar, but it’s a pretty standard fringe - as fringes go. ÊThe rest of their hair is nothing alike. ÊKhan basically has a mullet!

One thing that photo highlights though is that the blood on The Bride looks brown. ÊDo you think they digitally altered it that way for the teaser to get a G rating and will change it to red for the actual movie?[/quote]

I dont know, that hairstyle looks awfully similar to me. Especially the bangs on The Bride and Khan. Granted Khans hair is more mullety but the general style looks very close. ÃÅ

The blood: I thought there was gonna be tons more blood on The Bride. In the script QT makes it sound like her face/body is covered in blood, like Carrie. I dont think they changed the color, if you think about it, blood does change to a brownish color after it dries awhile. Its not gonna be bright red for a long time in real life.

10. Bruce Lee connections: a) The Bride will be wearing Bruce Lee’s Game of Death tracksuit at The House of Blue Leaves. b) “The Crazy 88s”, (the Yakuza gang The Bride slaughters in the film) are dressed like “Kato”, Bruce Lee’s sidekick character on the campy super hero show from the 60s “The Green Hornet”. c) The Bride will be trying to Kill Bill, played by David Carradine, who starred in Kung Fu, the TV show Bruce Lee was supposed to star in in 1972. d) Kill Bill will be premiering in October 2003, exactly 30 years after Bruce Lee’s death.

11. The Tokyo cityscape/skyline in Kill Bill is modeled after the TOHO Tokyo cityscapes/skylines used in the Godzilla films of the 60s and 70s.

[quote]… c) The Bride will be trying to Kill Bill, played by David Carradine, who starred in Kung Fu, the TV show Bruce Lee was supposed to star in in 1972…
[/quote]
I didn’t even realize that until it was spelled out in front of me.

The character of Budd aka Sidewinder (Michael Madsen) could be inspired by the 1993 Crime film “Beyond The Law” in which Madsen plays a ruthless biker gang boss named “Blood” who like Budd in Kill Bill, lives in a trailer in the desert. Blood, Budd…that shit rhymes! :slight_smile:

Bruce Lee connections cont’d: In Kill Bill, David Carradine plays “The Silent Flute”. The Silent Flute aka Circle of Iron was a film originally conceived by Bruce Lee so he could work with his friends Stirling Siliphant and James Coburn. Due to technical arguments over the film, production of The Silent Flute never got started. 4 years after Lees death in 1977, the film was picked up by a producer (who bought the rights) and made, David Carradine starred in the very role Lee was to play.

[quote]10. Bruce Lee connections: a) The Bride will be wearing Bruce Lee’s Game of Death tracksuit at The House of Blue Leaves.
[/quote]

I noticed something watching Revenge of the Nerds tonight, Toshiro Takashi is wearing the exact same tracksuit when riding the tricycle and drinking beer. That movie is stupid funny, haha…

Any connections with the “Paula Grave” storyboards and Django, Kill! If you live, Shoot!?

Django Kill is that spag-western that I did a review on over at Vic’s “Grindhouse” thread at the movie board, which has an opening scene of a stranger rising from the grave to seek revenge.

[quote]?Django Kill is that spag-western that I did a review on over at Vic’s “Grindhouse” thread at the movie board, which has an opening scene of a stranger rising from the grave to seek revenge.
[/quote]

I havent seen “Django Kill, If you live shoot” yet. Does it actually show a guy burrowing out through the dirt like in Kill Bill, or is it just a shot of his hand coming out?

Ever notice that in most films where someone comes out of a grave, you never see them actually underground digging out? Its always a shot of their hand or them just opening up the ground (like in The Crow).

I like the way QT takes things a step further with his films.

[quote]Ever notice that in most films where someone comes out of a grave, you never see them actually underground digging out? Its always a shot of their hand or them just opening up the ground (like in The Crow).[/quote]

Have you seen Two Hands? That movie has the dead guy digging around underground in the beginning. It looks like when documentaries do cross sections of an animals underground burrowing.

[quote]

Have you seen Two Hands? That movie has the dead guy digging around underground in the beginning. It looks like when documentaries do cross sections of an animals underground burrowing.[/quote]

No, I havent seen that one. But, I really like that whole idea of showing someone underground from that POV, very cool!

No, there isn’t any underground-digging shots in DJANGO KILL. Only green(?) close-ups of the hand and face emerging from the grave.

Here’s another tid-bit that I noticed in the script:

Vernita’s new name is “Jeanne Bell”.

Jeanne Bell (The Actress/playmate) appeared as the one and only, TNT JACKSON!

I wonder how QT would show it underground. A point of view shot would be really cool, and it would work well. i also think it would be pretty dramatic. Otherwise i don’t know how he could do it? He’ll probably find a really interesting way to shoot it.

As I was reading over the Kill Bill movie references topic, it dawned on me I already had started a pop culture/movie references topic a long time ago.

If Seb could combine them it would be cool. It would save a little space and keep my original post going.