The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Kiddo

maybe i missed it, but what is the big deal with her name? why is it bleeped out until the end.

If you are referring to the Bride, it’s more mysterious that way. Nearly every western that Clint Eastwood did, his character had no name. He was the mysterious stranger, making him a man of mystery. You didn’t know if he was an outlaw or a lawman. In the Pale Rider the played a man everyone called the preacher, but was he really a preacher. You don’t know.

With the Bride, you know some of her background, but not her name. In some cultures, to know a person’s name gives you power over them. And if you found out that person’s name without their knowledge, you had an advantage over them. Perhaps by not revealing her name until the end, she has the advantage over them. They wonder who she is, and by the time they know, it’s too late.

(@

AJCrane

[quote]
With the Bride, you know some of her background, but not her name.  In some cultures, to know a person’s name gives you power over them.  And if you found out that person’s name without their knowledge, you had an advantage over them.  Perhaps by not revealing her name until the end, she has the advantage over them. They wonder who she is, and by the time they know, it’s too late.

(@

AJCrane[/quote]

That doesnt make sense either though, because they all know her name, WE arent supposed to hear it until QT wants us to.

Of course, that is the point. It makes for a better story :smiley: If you were to create a similar story, wouldn’t you want to have your main character more of a mystery (at least to the audience). And to see the look on the others faces when they see that the person they thought they killed wasn’t dead afterall? They may all know her name, but they believe she is dead. To the surprise of everyone else, she is not, she survived, and it was unfortunate for them. I think this movie is best compared to the Outlaw Jose Wales, where a man is left for dead, but survives to exact revenge on those who harmed him. Quite a parallel don’t you think.

(@

AJCrane

QT seemed to make a big deal about her name when it was revealed in the script. it seemed like i was supposed to have heard it before or something.

QT wrote the story in such a way that it is as if you know the person. You feel for what she’s going through, and your hope is that she will take revenge. You know her and yet you don’t. Perhaps her name escapes you for the moment, but is remembered at the end.

He’s created every woman’s fantasty of being able to take revenge on those who have been abusive. In the real world, taking revenge on someone is considered criminal. You would never go after someone to kill them (at least not everyone-some who are quite disturbed just might). But in QT’s world and in the world of cinema, revenge can be a way of life. It gives us women somethng to cheer about, even if it’s only for a few short but brief hours.

(@

AJCrane

For my money, theres nothing cooler and more exciting than Revenge films. Female Revenge films are even cooler because theres an element of the way the women get revenge that just becomes an explosive thing. Not only are you rooting for her to go ballistic, your attracted to her at the same time. When men see women going Krakatoa on people we go apeshit, I know I do. I love it!!

The last Revenge film I saw at the movies was The Crow. I saw it 3 times, its awesome. I have it on VHS and DVD. Now Kill Bill comes along, not only is it revenge, its a female revenge/exploitation film, directed by Quentin Tarantino. It just doesnt get any better.

[quote]When men see women going Krakatoa on people we go apeshit, [/quote]

Isn’t there a reference to Krakatoa in the script? Quentin really does dictate the language, doesn’t he?

No one really used the word “medievel” as a verb before pulp, did they?

I think that’s one of the aspects of the movie he should have left out. Ppl will complain about that a lot and I can see why. It’s like an unneccessary gimmick, something just being there for the sake of it.

It would be better if her name wasn’t mentioned till the end or not at all.

Well we’ll see… I sure hope they show the thing at Cannes as I can’t friggin’ wait to hear some NEWS.

QT has changed the script from the 1st draft, so don’t worry your little heads about it. QT would not ruin his own film with something that didnt work anyway. Just have faith kids.

Watch the Cannes Topic that I started. That’s where I’ll be posting any news that I receive. I am getting their email newsletter, but so far, nothing in regards to Kill Bill, QT, or any of the actors involved. They’ve only listed one film. It’s early still. April is here and I will hopefully be receiving another newsletter soon. As the time gets closer there should be more news to report.

(@

AJCrane

[quote]For my money, theres nothing cooler and more exciting than Revenge films. Female Revenge films are even cooler because theres an element of the way the women get revenge that just becomes an explosive thing. Not only are you rooting for her to go ballistic, your attracted to her at the same time. When men see women going Krakatoa on people we go apeshit, I know I do. I love it!!

The last Revenge film I saw at the movies was The Crow. I saw it 3 times, its awesome. I have it on VHS and DVD. Now Kill Bill comes along, not only is it revenge, its a female revenge/exploitation film, directed by Quentin Tarantino. It just doesnt get any better. [/quote]

That’s not always the case Vic. “I spit on your grave” was a female exploitation revenge movie too, but it sucked more than any other movie I have ever seen.

[quote]

That’s not always the case Vic. “I spit on your grave” was a female exploitation revenge movie too, but it sucked more than any other movie I have ever seen.[/quote]

I like all the ones I’ve seen.