Jules' Divine Intervention

yes i can see its unclear who is right lets hust agree to disagree

Hey everybody. I’m new around these parts; thought I’d chime in.

Yes, Jules pays off Pumpkin and Honeybunny handsomely so that he doesn’t have to kill them, but there’s more to it than that.

First off, Jules gets the idea from The Wolf. The Wolf pays off Jimmy in exchance for his “best linen”. He gives Jimmy enough for a whole bedroom set. This chills out Jimmy, who has been stewing and fretting since Jules and Vincent and their dead body showed up. The Wolf is Jules’s Yoda.

What else does the Wolf do? He chills everybody out. At first Jules isn’t able to do it. He tries, but Jimmy explodes, and Jules is forced to call home for help. The Wolf, by contrast, immediately takes control, takes care of Jimmy, fixes the situation, and does it all without pulling a gun. The Wolf takes Vincent’s attitude in stride, whereas Jules blows his stack. Before they leave, The Wolf tells Jules, “spoken like a true prodigy”. A key asset Jules picks up from The Wolf is personality. The Wolf is a charmer. He doesn’t just know Monster Joe and his daughter; he’s a friend. It’s part of his business. At any rate, whether Jules takes any of this info in consciously is a matter of debate. Tarantino seems to like having characters learn subliminally. Either way is cool.

What’s interesting conceptually about the last scene is that it is quentessiential Tarantino - a mexican standoff. QT has used the mexican standoff several times, and, before Pulp Fiction, the mexican standoff always ends with everyone shooting each other. This time, Jules knows he has to end the situation peacefully, and he has some tools to do it. He chills out Pumpkin and Honeybunny. He chills out Vincent (in a way that echos The Wolf’s method), and he pays off Pumpkin and Honeybunny handsomely.

To address your question, Jules’s meaningful gesture is giving Pumpkin his own money. He could have taken it back, but he didn’t. In a way, he does something more nobel than The Wolf, who clearly pays Jimmy with “Uncle Marsellus’s” money.

Woow :o

[quote=“StanrickKubley”]

Yes, Jules pays off Pumpkin and Honeybunny handsomely so that he doesn’t have to kill them, but there’s more to it than that.

First off, Jules gets the idea from The Wolf. The Wolf pays off Jimmy in exchance for his “best linen”. He gives Jimmy enough for a whole bedroom set. This chills out Jimmy, who has been stewing and fretting since Jules and Vincent and their dead body showed up. The Wolf is Jules’s Yoda.

What else does the Wolf do? He chills everybody out. At first Jules isn’t able to do it. He tries, but Jimmy explodes, and Jules is forced to call home for help. The Wolf, by contrast, immediately takes control, takes care of Jimmy, fixes the situation, and does it all without pulling a gun. The Wolf takes Vincent’s attitude in stride, whereas Jules blows his stack. Before they leave, The Wolf tells Jules, “spoken like a true prodigy”. A key asset Jules picks up from The Wolf is personality. The Wolf is a charmer. He doesn’t just know Monster Joe and his daughter; he’s a friend. It’s part of his business. At any rate, whether Jules takes any of this info in consciously is a matter of debate. Tarantino seems to like having characters learn subliminally. Either way is cool.

What’s interesting conceptually about the last scene is that it is quentessiential Tarantino - a mexican standoff. QT has used the mexican standoff several times, and, before Pulp Fiction, the mexican standoff always ends with everyone shooting each other. This time, Jules knows he has to end the situation peacefully, and he has some tools to do it. He chills out Pumpkin and Honeybunny. He chills out Vincent (in a way that echos The Wolf’s method), and he pays off Pumpkin and Honeybunny handsomely.

To address your question, Jules’s meaningful gesture is giving Pumpkin his own money. He could have taken it back, but he didn’t. In a way, he does something more nobel than The Wolf, who clearly pays Jimmy with “Uncle Marsellus’s” money.
[/quote]

VERY well said, sir. I welcome people like you to this forum whole-heartedly. I hope you enjoy your stay. Happy posting. :slight_smile:

[quote=“The Pink Floyd”]
VERY well said, sir. I welcome people like you to this forum whole-heartedly. I hope you enjoy your stay. Happy posting. :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Thanks :slight_smile: So far this is a great forum. I’ve already read a couple of new things.

[quote=“StanrickKubley”]

[/quote]
thats alot reading and very well put

The Wolf was doing his job…to clean up the Bonnie Situation. He wasn’t buying salvation or anything else…He was paying Jimmy for the linens. The Wolf was an agent of Marcellus Wallace, in proxy…which is to say that The Wolf was Marcellus Wallace in spirit. So it was actually Marcellus Wallace who was telling Jimmy that he was an “oak man”. On the contrary, Marcellus Wallace was simply Marcellus Wallace when Zed was giving him a colonoscopy in the dungeon. Nobody would have taken that burdeon. Back to the point: Jules gave other people’s money to Pumpkin - which is no act of kindness or generosity, or shepherd-like qualities at all. “I’m trying real hard” doesn’t mean that he is successful at it. Fact of the matter is, Jules was probably killing people deader than fried chicken a few weeks later.

u can also look at it like this jules was a bad man but he change therefor it can be said that every1 can change for the better

[quote=“vadid”]
u can also look at it like this jules was a bad man but he change therefor it can be said that every1 can change for the better
[/quote]
that would be correct…and a basic premise of Christianity, among others.

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
that would be correct…and a basic premise of Christianity, among others.
[/quote]
thats probable what were supposed to see jules’ Divine Intervention as