James Ellroy on Quentin

I kind of doubt that Tarantino will be adapting any James Ellroy novels soon.

An interview with Ellroy, the author of L.A. CONFIDENTIAL, appeared today (Oct. 25 2004) in the Seattle Times. Quentin’s name popped up:

SEATTLE TIMES: On racial invective, you wade in with the same disregard for sensitivity as Quentin Tarantino.

ELLROY: But my stuff all makes narrative sense and everything. I think he’s a bad writer and a bad film director. even PULP FICTION was just bad, right-off-the-top-of-his-head writing with little cultural references. The only film of his I liked was JACKIE BROWN, which was very formalized and staid compared to his other films.

… wich was an adaptation of an Elmore Leonard novel.

elroy has no idea what he’s talking about i think. since when does a novel writer consider himself a professional critic of screenwriting…

[quote=“Bleeding Orange”]
I think he’s a bad writer and a bad film director. even PULP FICTION was just bad,
[/quote]

:o

lets me an agry mom with hayforks and torches and marched to his house and rape him ! whos with me!!!

cricket

tumbleweed blows across road

I guess Ellroy’s entitled to his own opinion, but saying PF was bad? That’s just down-right blastfemy.

Yeah he’s a fucktard. I hope he dies in a fire.

Yeah, but you have to admit L.A. CONFIDENTIAL WAS cool.

[quote=“Bleeding Orange”]

ELLROY: But my stuff all makes narrative sense and everything. I think he’s a bad writer and a bad film director. even PULP FICTION was just bad, right-off-the-top-of-his-head writing with little cultural references. The only film of his I liked was JACKIE BROWN, which was very formalized and staid compared to his other films.
[/quote]

And seriously, Pulp Fiction had little cultural references? What the fuck is he talking about? And he liked Jackie Brown because it was more “formalized” than his other films. Which translates to “I’m an old, grouchy motherfucker who only likes films with linear plots that have predictable endings and offer the same old, Hollywood cliches found in most films.”

L.A. Confidential… It didn’t stick with me. I saw it, but for the life of me, I couldn’t tell you what it was about at this moment. Was it the stylish one which reminded me of Mulholland Drive? Did it have Kim Bassinger in it? If so, I wasn’t very impressed and I thought she didn’t deserve an oscar for that performance. There were better performances that year.

I have to admit, I thought LA Confidential was a cool movie, but after reading his comments on Pulp Fiction, and obvious influence on his film, I have lost all respect for him.

James Ellroy is fucked up in the head. Have you ever seen this guy in interviews? He doesnt know what hes saying. He’ll say he hates something one minute, then say its cool the next.

Ellroy is a wacko, but I liked LA Confidential and Im looking forward to DePalmas adaptation of the Black Dahlia too.

[quote=“WinslowLeach”]
James Ellroy is fucked up in the head. Have you ever seen this guy in interviews? He doesnt know what hes saying. He’ll say he hates something one minute, then say its cool the next.

Ellroy is a wacko, but I liked LA Confidential and Im looking forward to DePalmas adaptation of the Black Dahlia too.ÂÂ
[/quote]
yeah, he looks like such as ass in the la confidential dvd

I can’t imagine anyone who has actually read one of Ellroy’s books saying this kind of stuff about him. He’s a master.

Noone who disses QT is cool in my book. He may be a good writer but as a person he is definitely out of his gord.

Well, dis or no dis, Ellroy is an asskicker. And I don’t think anyone would argue that he isn’t “out of his gourd”, that’s part of his personality.

He’s probably just trying vainly to defend his neo-noir turf. Ellroy’s been plugging away at this for years, trying to create a vision of the seedy side of L.A. refracted through a modern noir scope and while he’s had quite a lot of success, Tarantino comes along doing basically the same thing and gets jumped to superstar status. Now that’s mainly because QT is a better writer than Ellroy and his dialog is cool without trying, but let’s face it: if it wasn’t for the success of Pulp Fiction, L.A. Confidential would have just been a minor cult hit.

From The Salon Interview | James Ellroy

You don’t watch TV?

I watch boxing on TV and I listen to classical music. I talk with my wife a lot and exercise. Culture to me is just shit in the brain. I just hate it when I tour overseas and people want me to talk about Quentin Tarantino. I’ve offered a lot of flagrantly abusive opinions about modern popular culture, and I’ve put the skids to it. I just don’t know what it is. I like to think. I like to lie in the dark and brood about things. I have a good idea where my own writing career is going. I have no idea where American culture is going. I really don’t. I mean, I don’t even know who the good guys are in the Serbo-Croatian war. I don’t know who we’re supporting.

http://www.salon.com/dec96/interview2961209.html

What a pompous prick. I fucking hate people who say they listen to classical music and expect that statement to mean they are smart. Who fucking doesn’t. Does he not realize you can expose yourself to reality without losing creativity.