It starts with an idea or concept

I like to work in the zombie sub-genre. And lately I kind of have evolved an idea that I want to share with you. And yes, it’s about zombies. You know how mythical creatures such as vampires, warewolves, etc. have personality. Well how do you add personality to a creature that is dead? I’ve seen a lot of silent films and I got thinking of an opening scene for my script, “Dark Silence”. If you’ve seen 28 Days Later and Dawn Of The Dead and have played a videogame called “Condemned” (xbox 360) you’ll know what the hell i’m talking about. First off, the word “zombie”, that word was good for the 1930’s, but what if it were to be changed to “mutant”, simple as that. What if this new kind of “zombie” could talk (Condemned: threatening words to make you feel scared), the concept is that they’re souless and stop at nothing to kill you. What if they could team up in hordes and attack you like in Resident Evil 4 (videogame). So they can run fast, team up in hordes to attack you and eat you alive. Not even a fucking machinegun can save you from a horde of these nefarious creatures. Romero zombie movies are filled with satire which kind of ruins his films, at least in my opinion. Zombies are something of the past, I want to be innovative and I think this could be the start of something scarier and new. Tell me what you think.

Well, is it a zombie or not? If it’s not a fucking zombie, don’t call it one. If you want to write about something that’s not a zombie, don’t try to make it a “new kind of zombie” just make it what you want.

For example, Evil Dead. Those are not zombies, nor do I have the urge to call them zombies.

I’d say you have to create a reason why the creatures are the way they are, not just make them up to “be original”. If you wanna write about zombies, write about them.

And BTW, If I wanna see a zombie movie, I’ll just watch Shaun of the Dead.

They’re the next gen zombies. And they’re faster, meaner, and cooler.

The first zombie movie i saw was Dawn Of The Dead by Romero and I immediately accepted them as they were - slow, mindless and clumsy, I liked how they were made fun of, I liked their whole concept. They were scary just because of their horrible existance, and they were dangerous when they grouped up. Otherwise it was even COZY, everyone had lots of fun, took their guns and went for some zombie hunting. Perfect. I immediately fell in love with Romero’s “dead” - that’s right, he rarely used the term “zombie”, which is now associated with a rotten, skinless creature with broken legs and stupid moaning - fair enough for scaring underage kids, but a fucking embarassment for Romero’s general idea.

Then I watched the best zombie film of all time - Night of The Living Dead - and I was rather surprised about the way the first zombie was - he was fast, he was mean and showed the ability of logical thinking (primitive though). The rest were just like in Dawn, stupid and slow, and they feared fire - I saw one who’s jacket was burning helplessly turning in circles and clumsily trying to extinguish it. That’s how they were supposed to be. Fun again.

If I like zombies, I like those created by Romero. I actually believe he should hold rights of the whole genre and never allow any unnecessary modifications. Why emotions? You want them to be all soft and crybaby and fall in love with their victim girls, or go all “uh-oh” when they’re in danger like droids in Star Wars III? Leave them alone, they have NO emotions, they have NO ability to thing, their brain is all rotten and the only thing alive in them is their primitive instincts, PERIOD.

I’m just thinking outside the box. When 28 weeks later comes out, you’ll see all of the rules bent, then you’ll say, “Why didin’t I think about that?”

Well, maybe. Noone’s interested in making a Romero-like movie anyway… (though it’s a shame)

[quote=“Bleach”]
Well, maybe. Noone’s interested in making a Romero-like movie anyway… (though it’s a shame)
[/quote]What about Shaun Of The Dead? There’s Romero written all over that movie.

Haven’t seen it yet, this

[quote=“IMDb”]Plot Outline: A man decides to turn his moribund life around by winning back his ex-girlfriend, reconciling his relationship with his mother, and dealing with an entire community that has returned from the dead to eat the living.[/quote]

didn’t look too encouraging, though I’m actually willing to see it.

I know this is off topic, but Dr Acula I was wondering if you post over at horrormovies.com?

[quote=“Dr. Acula”]
They’re the next gen zombies. And they’re faster, meaner, and cooler.
[/quote]
How do you kill them?

[quote=“mr. Crazi”]
How do you kill them?
[/quote]Evil Dead, you have to disembody them completely in order to kill them off.

[quote=“Dr. Acula”]
Evil Dead, you have to disembody them completely in order to kill them off.
[/quote]
Okay, where do they come from?

The entire genre is played out and ridiculously boring.

[quote=“deliveryman”]
The entire genre is played out and ridiculously boring.
[/quote]That of course is your unwanted opinion. I’ve seen your writing deliveryman, I’ll have to say for a filmstudent you sure lack the qualities of a good writer.

And all of a sudden the topic got personel.

My own opinion on the zombie genre is that it isn’t so much about the zombies. It’s

about how people cope with and attempt to survive the zombie invasion. Zombie movies

are too often made for zombies (mindless people who just wanna see blood) when they

should really be more character driven. In fact I’d say that’s the main problem with horror

movies in general. They’re all about the shock factor with the mindless, emotionless

psychopathic killer as the character we’re supposed to cheer for while the real people are

just hateable bait.

[quote=“DexPac”]
And all of a sudden the topic got personel.

My own opinion on the zombie genre is that it isn’t so much about the zombies. It’s

about how people cope with and attempt to survive the zombie invasion. Zombie movies

are too often made for zombies (mindless people who just wanna see blood) when they

should really be more character driven. In fact I’d say that’s the main problem with horror

movies in general. They’re all about the shock factor with the mindless, emotionless

psychopathic killer as the character we’re supposed to cheer for while the real people are

just hateable bait.
[/quote]I strongly disagree. I’ll name a few horror movies: Silence Of The Lambs, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), The Devil’s Rejects, Halloween.

Don’t dis people’s writing skills, ok.

Deliveryman has taught me a few things and I appreciate his presence here on the board. That said.

I’ve seen so many Zombie movies, I feel they are played out. I need something new. Maybe the new 28 days will give me that, otherwise you’ve got to be something ultra-fantastic to raise my interests.

It’s hard to write for any genre that’s become a cliche.

somebody asked me if I would like to see an anime zombie movie. Personally I would love to see it , but what about the rest of you guys.

[quote=“biohazard”]
I strongly disagree. I’ll name a few horror movies: Silence Of The Lambs, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), The Devil’s Rejects, Halloween.
[/quote]

I’ll give you Silence of the Lambs just cause I haven’t seen it, but I don’t remember

too many strong character archs in any of the others you mentioned. All the same

fairly weak argument for a “strong disagreement”.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/residentbeavis.html THis will close my argument!