The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Is QT revenge obsessed?

Dont you guys think QT is a bit to much into revenge the last years?

Let me tell you all the movies QT did in the 21st century:

Woman seeking revenge for a wedding-massacre.

Woman seeking revenge for a wedding-massacre part 2.

Women seeking revenge for nerly beeing killed by a psycho.

Woman and group of jews seeking revenge for nazi crimes.

Dont get me wrong, KB was the best movie of all time to me, i love DP and im sure i will love IB 2 ( and im from germany, this movie WILL make huge trouble over here, i tell you), but dont you all think we kinda got it now? I would love to see something else again from QT, he has so much ideas and stuff, he doesnt need to have like 80% revenge-themed movies when his careers end. This man can and should do more IMO.

Do you feel the same way o could you go 4 the revenge train until QT stops (if he ever does :<)

Opinions please :wink:

Yes, I feel there is too much revenge-themed aspects that have taken over his unique storytelling techniques of the 90’s. I think he became hung up on them as mere plot devices to tell a story. Let’s IB has a lot more to offer in terms of storytelling.

No. Kill Bill is the only front to back Revenge movie he has done so far. Others might have leaped for revenge, but I wouldnt call them revenge movies. Personally he could make a dozen more revenge movies cause I cant get enough of those kind of films.

[quote=“Larry”]
Dont you guys think QT is a bit to much into revenge the last years?

Let me tell you all the movies QT did in the 21st century:

Woman seeking revenge for a wedding-massacre.

Woman seeking revenge for a wedding-massacre part 2.

Women seeking revenge for nerly beeing killed by a psycho.

Woman and group of jews seeking revenge for nazi crimes.

Dont get me wrong, KB was the best movie of all time to me, i love DP and im sure i will love IB 2 ( and im from germany, this movie WILL make huge trouble over here, i tell you), but dont you all think we kinda got it now? I would love to see something else again from QT, he has so much ideas and stuff, he doesnt need to have like 80% revenge-themed movies when his careers end. This man can and should do more IMO.

Do you feel the same way o could you go 4 the revenge train until QT stops (if he ever does :<)

Opinions please :wink:

[/quote]

Anyway, I don't think this is a problem at all. All filmamkers have a theme they explore and express in various ways through their career. This is no different. QT likes the idea of redemption and revenge, it's present in all his films. Doesn't make him any less of an able-filmmaker.

It’s one of the like “stock” plot devices. It’s one of the only ways to get people to do something out of the ordinary, like deciding to go on a killing rampage, or to blow up nazi’s or whatever. Not to mention the concept of seeking revenge is something that I think a lot of audiences enjoy seeing because it’s something they themselves cannot do. I know we all have our little grudges and betrayls and whatnot so they idea of settling the score is fascinating.

Doing a little cleaning up, eh Ify? :wink:

I think that personally QT has a lot of scores he would like to settle so the revenge theme pops up in his work alot and probably will in his future work

[quote=“Kinick”]
Doing a little cleaning up, eh Ify? :wink:
[/quote]

Yeah, I didn’t want to leave the spoiler there any longer. :-*

[quote=“Ify”]
Yeah, I didn’t want to leave the spoiler there any longer. :-*
[/quote]

haha, I was thinking. It’s not really a spoiler though, it’s revealed upfront in the official synopsis. But I guess it’s too much for some.

[quote=“Kinick”]
haha, I was thinking. It’s not really a spoiler though, it’s revealed upfront in the official synopsis. But I guess it’s too much for some.
[/quote]

Yeah, I thought everybody knew that bit of info, but I guess not. I’d rather not spoil anything for anyone. I guess some people don’t want to know a thing.

I don’t care what the theme of his movies are, just so long as he keeps making them.

. . . great topic! yeah much of q.t.'s work is revenge-themed . . .

. . . revenge. it’s a cool device that gets a gut reaction from the audience. taking revenge is so much fun. like when butch gets revenge on the rapists or when the chicks get back at stuntman mike and pound the crap outta him. and obviously the bride is vengeance-obsessed in kill bill . . .

. . . makes you wonder if q.t. himself has personal revenge issues, like maybe he’s been burned along the way (probably has, if you have wealth you’ve got to fend off the bloodsuckers) and that’s why the revenge theme is prominent in his pictures. he doesn’t sound bitter when he speaks mind you. he seems very happy in interviews and commentary . . .