The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Is he a fond of squares?

Does QT like squares or is it just because he wants us to get a flashback from pulp that uma does that square-thing with her fingers in Kill Bill Vol.1? I´m also wondering if you have seen any other squares in the other films. I can´t find any. Maybe he has a ◘-fetish.

well “don’t be a square” is not an un-common expression in the english language, and well, he used it in Pulp, i dont know where he got it from and then he used it in KB again, because well, same director, same actress

Yeah, it’s a pretty old saying here in the states. It’s like saying ‘don’t be boring’ or ‘not with the party or scene or whatever is going on at the moment’. Generally the person is not ‘with it’. As in four corners man. It’s a 60’s thing.

other definitions - Square - Someone who was not “Cool”. Example: "Jerry’s so square, all he does is his homework, watch TV, and he doesn’t even like Elvis!"

Slang. A person who is regarded as dull, rigidly conventional, and out of touch with current trends.

and finally from Merriam-Webster Dictionary - Square - a person who is conventional or conservative in taste or way of life

My lesson is through for the day. There will be a test. ::slight_smile:

[quote=“Seb (admin)”]
i dont know where he got it from [/quote]

I think it was from an episode of The Flintstones where Fred became a rock and roll star dubbed ‘The Oldest Teenager’. WILLLLLMAAAAAA did not approve of the increase in her husband’s ego so her and Betty decided to embark on a word of mouth smear campaign. The smear being that Fred Flintstone is actually a (Shock! Horror!) ‘square’. Betty does with her fingers what Uma did with her fingers outside Jack Rabbit Slims.