Inglourious Basterds Script Reviews

Wow, wow, wow and, well, wow!! Sounds like an amazing postmodern action war extravaganza.

Not really worth examining it further till we know more details, but check this out: Brad Pitt playing a redneck who goes to Europe and scalps German soldiers?

What’s this, Inglorious Bastards or the Legends of the Flucking Fall?

PS: Samuel L. Jackson’s remake of Legends of the Fall: Motherflucking Legends of the Motherflucking Fall !!!

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Lilli: You should be really happy. It sounds like QT is going back to his Nouvelle Vague roots big time in this film! 8)
[/quote]

If he’s really back to his Nouvelle Vague roots, I’ll be SO excited. Resevoir Dogs was already a lot pre-Nouvelle Vague, very Mellville. I just can’t wait !

And one thing people may not know: ALL The Basterds are Jewish guys!! So this movie will be the ultimate Jewish people killing Nazis movie. I dont think there has ever been one made before either. Damn QT, you are one crazy kid.

Characters names so far:

Lt. Aldo Raine aka Aldo The Apache

Donny Donowitz aka The Bear Jew

That sure sounds crazy and sick. If QT wasn’t that famous, I don’t think he’d dare be that direct : Jewish against Nazis, ahah.

Btw Aldo Raine HAS to be a reference to Aldo Ray !

Adam Sandler must be reading this script and loving it. :slight_smile:

I’m not such an Adam Sandler fan, never been really excited to hear he might be included in the cast. :-</E>

Wow, Lt. Aldo seems like one mean son-of-a-bitch. I like it!!

"If you took the bad guy swagger of RESERVOIR DOGS, the uber coolness and structure of PULP FICTION, throw in the revenge angle of KILL BILL, set it in World War II – you get INGLORIOUS BASTERDS."

Haha, is this not what we wanted to hear?! :stuck_out_tongue:

e x c i t e m e n t

[quote=“Ify”]
"If you took the bad guy swagger of RESERVOIR DOGS, the uber coolness and structure of PULP FICTION, throw in the revenge angle of KILL BILL, set it in World War II – you get INGLORIOUS BASTERDS."

Haha, is this not what we wanted to hear?! :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

We sure want to hear that, so EXCITING.

The opening monologue of Chapter 2 sounds fucking intense. I know it’s only a segment from a whole, but judging by that monologue it seems like QT is going back to his no-bullshit dialogue i.e. pre-Death Proof dialogue. I mean the dialogue in Kill Bill was so fucking amazing. I marvel at it EVERY TIME I watch it!! It was very different to the dialogue in his previous films, but there was still so much quality there. It seems like QT has changed the tone of his dialogue once again, and it will be very interesting to see where he goes with it.

It’s interesting to see how his style is in constant evolution. It still has all his trademarks but change of ton as you said it, Ify. I like the fact that QT considers himself both as a director and a writer. Much of the directors, even the most talented, don’t change that much of writing style, dialogue style : they find a new story, or a new genre to announce an evolution and change their directing style (more mature, more action, and so on) but their writing style or dialogue style rarely change. That’s QT isn’t losing any fans movies after movies.

What Im wondering is, this script is only 165 pages long. What happened to the other 400 + pages he wrote?!!

Lt. Aldo has a scar around his neck from a lynching…what would he be lynched for? Hes not black. Thats a weird one. It almost sounds like Clints character in Hang Em High. He had a hanging scar around his neck.

Quite mysterious indeed…

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
What Im wondering is, this script is only 165 pages long. What happened to the other 400 + pages he wrote?!!
[/quote]

Well he may have done what he did with the “Open Road” script, condense it down into a masterpiece. He must have a had a good long think after Death Proof and decided that he needs to be brutal with his dialogue. I know how it can be when you put a lot of work in and want to show it to everyone, but sometimes you have got to make sacrifices. I’d much rather see a well rounded film (PF, KB) rather than one that is not (DP).

Id rather see a tight, together film myself. I think QT learns from each film whats best and whats not. I think he’s reigning in some of his indulgences a bit now and being more frugal which is the best thing in the end Id say. Although I def wouldnt complain if this film was longer. It sounds like QT had alot of great ideas for this story.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Id rather see a tight, together film myself. I think QT learns from each film whats best and whats not. I think he’s reigning in some of his indulgences a bit now and being more frugal which is the best thing in the end Id say. Although I def wouldnt complain if this film was longer. It sounds like QT had alot of great ideas for this story.
[/quote]

Well quite a few of hardcore QT fans would like to see more QT work as opposed to seeing less. My first feeling after watching my first QT film for the first time - Pulp Fiction - was that of sadness because all I wanted was to see more. More of Jules and Vincent chatting to each other, more dialogue, just more scenes. Is that a bit lame? Maybe. But I don’t shy away from that fact. That’s the reason why I enjoyed Death Proof so much. I was thankful that I could watch a QT film so soon after his last outing, and I enjoyed EVERY minute of it. My feelings altered somewhat after subsequent viewings, but nothing to a significant extent.

HOWEVER, I am looking at this also with the interest of other film fans. DP seemed like a film for the hardcore QT fan, IB will have to appeal to a much larger audience if it is to be given the status of masterpiece. Now I’m not saying he has to sacrifice quality, but some big names in there and have some huge explosions, but then again Pulp had none of those things and look at it’s status amongst cinephiles! It’s a fine line he has to tread, having to satisfy both us (very critical) QT fans AND the vast majority of the masses. But he has done it before and he can do it again.

We all know QT can take the most non-sensical actor and make them into something we would never have guessed. Like the Coen brothers, he has a knack for choosing the right guys for each role and getting the best out of them. Death Proof is the exception in my opinion. So we can be reasonably certain that whoever he casts will be a success. Same goes for other areas (e.g soundtrack). However, I haven’t been best pleased with the names paraded round this project, including Sandler and Lohan. Let’s just let time tell us.

Im a hardcore QT fan but I wasnt blown away by DP. Its fun. But not spectacular. I mean, its simply not. On any level. It has some good moments, but its not like QTs other films where every minute I’m totally into whats going on in the film. Listening to girls talk about fucking guys is ok for a little while but Im sorry, it gets old after youve watched the film a few times.

Basterds sounds like its something that I’ll like as much as Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction or more. It sounds like the film QT shouldve made after Kill Bill. More ambitious, more extravagant in all areas.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Im a hardcore QT fan but I wasnt blown away by DP. Its fun. But not spectacular. I mean, its simply not. On any level. Basterds sounds like its something that I’ll like as much as Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction or more. It sounds like the film QT shouldve made after Kill Bill. More ambitious, more extravagant in all areas.
[/quote]

Well the reason I wanted more of Pulp Fiction was that I enjoyed hanging out with the characters. In Death Proof, that’s exactly what we do as well. It’s his ode to Rio Bravo. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, I understand.

Also, QT seems to be following a pattern of sorts. Small film (RD), epic (PF), small film (JB), epic (KB), small film (DP), epic (IB).

I love Rio Bravo, its one of my favorite films, but Death Proof isnt anywhere near as good as that. Jackie Brown on the other hand is his real Rio Bravo IMO. I love hanging out with the characters in that.