The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Independent compares QT with Guy Ritchie

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.independent.ie/entertainment … 73345.html”>http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/film-cinema/sorry-guy-youre-a-onehit-wonder-1473345.html</LINK_TEXT>

wtf…

Saying Tarantino is a one-hit wonder is utterly ridiculous and doesn’t even need to be discussed.

what do we have here?

a. a critic who wanted to be a director himself and is deeply frustrated because he couldn’t break into the Industry?

b. a mediocre critic who tries to raise attention to himself?

c. simply an asshole?

I dunno.

That douchebag of a critic criticises Guy Ritchie because he’s always bringing out the same movie, then criticises Tarantino because he’s always trying out something different. He doesn’t have a fucking clue what he’s talking about.

what a douchebag

[quote=“Scarface”]
That douchebag of a critic criticises Guy Ritchie because he’s always bringing out the same movie, then criticises Tarantino because he’s always trying out something different. He doesn’t have a fucking clue what he’s talking about.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was just about to say that. Furthermore, he doesn’t give reasons as to how QT didn’t fulfill his potential and completely ignores Jackie Brown. It’s a lame critique, nothing in-depth, just angst-ridden because those urban/crime films didn’t live up to his own expectations. I always find it baffling though how anyone can dislike Kill Bill. Seriously. What is NOT to like? It has everything. :-</E>

well, it doesn’t have nude hot chicks and all that… but you can always watch Hell Ride for some poontang :wink:

After seeing what Guy Ritchie is like as a person, Ive changed my attitude towards him since the old days. He seems like a genuinely good guy. So he gets points for that. As far as his movies go, Im not really a fan. I mean, if I was Id be at the Guy Ritchie Forum right?

Im a Tarantino fan and I have been since 1992. I dont really care what some dink at some newspaper says about him. Theres only one QT and everyone knows that. You cant compare him to anyone. Theres Before QT and After QT for me.

Guy Ritchie makes what he wants to make. Those British crime comedy movies. They never did anything for me esp since Im such a big QT fan. I hate Tarantino-esque movies that came out after Dogs and Pulp. Its just not what I like. Its The Real Thing or Nothing for me. I dont want to see anymore goddamn ensemble wisecracking character crime group movies again at this point.

I do think QT is more talented than Guy Ritchie in all areas. I mean, QT is the man who basically revived international modern cinema single handedly. Hes a legend and everyone knows that.

Im not even going to read that article. Im more interested in Basterds news.

I’ve never seen such a cliche ridden article in my life. I hate it when they use the word “self-indulgent”. Critics should be barred from ever using “self-indulgent” again. What they really mean when they use the term self-indulgent is that the artist made the film or wrote the book that he wanted to write without considering what the audience wants. Isn’t that what an artist is supposed to do?

Yeah, exactly. The reason I like QT’s films is not only because his filmmaking appeals to me more than anyone else’s, but also because he stays true to himself and does what he wants to do regardless of what was said and by whom. His films are for him, first and foremost. We see so many other directors who have had their vision hindered or even destroyed by studios/producers. Heck, even Scorsese has to do what he’s told. It’s fortunate that QT has the luxury to indulge in complete artistic freedom, something that has given rise to such cinema masterpieces as Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. QT will never sell out, otherwise he’d have already done so. Fuck what that critic said, he’s talking out of his arse.