The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

If they were still alive [RIP]

I’ve often thought of some of the great deceased actors and actresses that would have had the pleasure to work with Quentin in one of his films, and I guess one obvious actor that would have appeared sooner or later in a Quentin Tarantino movie would have been “Charles Bronson”. But since I got into my Bette Davis /Joan Crawford film obsession I can’t help but to think how Bette Davis could have been a wonderful candidate to star in a Quentin Tarantino movie, looking at the film Jackie Brown - I can’t help but to wonder why Pam Grier’s performance was so terribly underrated (she wasn’t even nominated for an Academy Award), and Quentin Tarantino shows the extent of his uncanny writing abilities by having a seemingly “obscure” actress dish out a masterful performance. I just saw the film “Marked Woman” which is about a club that is newly operated by a sinister mobster who does what he wants to the people who work for him and silences them by using sheer terror. Among the victimized is a prostitute named Mary Dwight (Bette Davis) who loses it when her visiting sister is murdered by the notorious mobster Johnny Vanning, somehow there was a stark comparison to the performance that Pam Grier gave in Jackie Brown - the way they both hold their own in extreme situations (mind you Jackie Brown was never slapped around like Mary is in Marked Woman but still). These are two women who have nothing to lose. Jackie Brown has been put down by the system, working shitty jobs and nothing to show for it at her late age, and the Bette Davis character in Marked Woman has that to her as well. She worked a job that she hated in order to support her sister, so she could go through college and succeed in life, but when the news tabloids endanger and ultimately end all that a part of her dies. It’s sort of like a life defining moment where she realizes…“what now?”. And then the murder occurs and the death of her sister is revealed in a brilliant and emotional scene with Humphrey Bogart in a police station - and all of a sudden she is on a mission to put an end to the ruthless gangster Vanning. Jackie Brown also has that moment in prison, and when Max tells her that Beumont has been murdered, she realizes that she’s next! And that’s where it happens! She’s changed! Both films have that strongness and reality, I mean I’m no woman - of course, but seeing these films made me understand them a lot better, and it also gives you a better understanding how most writers out there make women look cheap. I think Bette would have been more than suitable to star in a Quentin film - dontch’a think, she would have been so great. Just a crazy thought.

. . . are you an idiot? bette davis? get lost. bette davis sucks . . .

My favorite old actress is marlene dietrich…if she were alive and young, i would like to see her working with him…well, at least in IB, where it seems to make more sense

But Charles Bronson, as you said, would be amazing!

[quote=“postmaster.general”]
. . . are you an idiot? bette davis? get lost. bette davis sucks . . .
[/quote]

Oh fuck you you little bitch, you wouldn’t know a great fucking actress if you eveer did see one. You Zach Efron loving homo, eat shit and fucking die you son of a whoring bitch.

You are as cute as usual, Bio :smiley:

. . . bronson’s right on the money . . .

. . . but bette-fucking-davis? and you’re calling me a homo! lol. i bet you’d get off seeing q.t. work with judy garland and liza minelli too wouldn’t ya. have you even SEEN from dusk till dawn? as far as i’m concerned the quentin tarantino franchise is all about reworking the cool expliotation and grindhouse shit from the sixties and seventies. the idea of tarantino working with the likes of bette davis makes me want to turn in my tarantino membership card forthwith and puke bullets . . .

Who do you think started the tough-chick roles? Christina Lindberg? Pam Grier? No. It was Bette Davis and Joan Crawford - (she did it in her latter work). The screenplay for Jackie Brown had traits of classic cinema and the Pam Grier role could have been done by Bette Davis as awell. It is a dissapoinment that you disregard some of the finest women who paved the way for the actresses of today, I love Davis’ work and she is the best actress that has ever lived, it’s a shame you do not realize that. You are just another narrow-minded idiot who doesn’t know any better. And FYI, I love the classic actors because they actually did theatre work and never stopped working, and that made them better and better - they don’t call it “the golden age of Hollywood” for nothing. Those were real actors that took their craft seriously, not some squarely amateur who wants to get on the cover of “People” magazine just for the sake of being famous. In fact in the film “All About Eve” the last shot of the film insinuates that revelation. It is a haunting theme that has become so true - that is how advanced Joseph L. Mankiewicz was in his writing, “actors” and “actresses” want that big shiny award and all the attention of the world without doing a fucking thing. Just look at Paris Hilton or Tara Reid and every other Reality TV show “actor”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5v0spjsk1Y

(1934 - Davis wins the Academy Award for Supporting Actress)

And what’s wrong with liking Judy Garland. I’m not afraid to admit that I’m a fan, because I’m not a narrow minded person who is thrown off by her just because all the faggots want to dress like her. Those faggots can cross-dress all they want. Me. I just love fine cinema. I’d turn on TCM once in a while, I know you haven’t even seen a single one of her films, you’re probably some high school teen who thinks Michael Bay is the best director out there.

. . . bronson’s right on the money . . .

. . . but bette-fucking-davis? and you’re calling me a homo! lol. i bet you’d get off seeing q.t. work with judy garland and liza minelli too wouldn’t ya. have you even SEEN from dusk till dawn? as far as i’m concerned the quentin tarantino franchise is all about reworking the cool expliotation and grindhouse shit from the sixties and seventies. the idea of tarantino working with the likes of bette davis makes me want to turn in my tarantino membership card forthwith and puke bullets . . .
[/quote]

From Dusk Till Dawn is a genre picture, yes. I fucking know that. In fact some of those bits reminded me of “The Petrified Forest” where Humphrey Bogart is trying to get to the Mexican border and he holds a desolate diner hostage. It’s a drive-in film that has all the old school exploitation guys like Savini, Williamson - I know my shit, I can distinguish exploitation with classic cinema. I was talking about Jackie Brown, were you paying attention to what I was trying to say? I even made tiny parallels to their performances.

. . . are you kiddin’ me? you think the '30s is the “golden age of hollywood”? why does sebastian even let you to post here. you should be banned immediately . . .

. . . compared to the '70s the '30s sucks pig shit. it’s the seventies you should be excited about: can anything bette davis ever did compare to brody getting a sudden close-up view of the shark’s cavities in jaws, or willard and crew sailing up river away from the chaos of the do lung bridge in apocalypse now . . .

. . . get down on your knees and beg for mercy, biobasterd . . .

. . . look, i like to watch that old stuff too. i love the easy-to-understand morality stories and messages in shows like bride of frankenstein and the ports of new york and touch of evil. and i do enjoy watching the hungarian great bela lugosi, such a total sleazebag in his roles. but the truth is the stuff from the thirties/forties/fifties is generally super basic and one-dimensionial, it’s like watching saturday morning cartoons in comparison to the works of the greats of the TRUE golden age of cinema: coppola, scorcese, spielberg, friedkin et al . . .

There are great films in every decade…

. . . are you kiddin’ me? you think the '30s is the “golden age of hollywood”? why does sebastian even let you to post here. you should be banned immediately . . .

. . . compared to the '70s the '30s sucks pig shit. it’s the seventies you should be excited about: can anything bette davis ever did compare to brody getting a sudden close-up view of the shark’s cavities in jaws, or willard and crew sailing up river away from the chaos of the do lung bridge in apocalypse now . . .

. . . get down on your knees and beg for mercy, biobasterd . . .

. . . look, i like to watch that old stuff too. i love the easy-to-understand morality stories and messages in shows like bride of frankenstein and the ports of new york and touch of evil. and i do enjoy watching the hungarian great bela lugosi, such a total sleazebag in his roles. but the truth is the stuff from the thirties/forties/fifties is generally super basic and one-dimensionial, it’s like watching saturday morning cartoons in comparison to the works of the greats of the TRUE golden age of cinema: coppola, scorcese, spielberg, friedkin et al . . .
[/quote]

I won’t argue of the filmmakers mentioned above, and I can name a few films that supersede the likes of the films mentioned above.

Directors: John Ford, Alfred Hitchcock, Elia Kazan, George Cukor, William Wyler, Howard Hawks, Joseph L. Mankiewicz, Orson Welles, Cecil B. DeMile, John Huston, Robert Aldrich, George Stevens, and a crap load more I’m forgetting.

The Searchers, All About Eve, Giant, Casablanca, Treasure Of The Sierra Madre, The Maltese Falcon, Gaslight, East Of Eden, On The Waterfront, Citizen Kane, Mildred Pierce, and not to mention all the Hitchcock films.

I don’t know why you mentioned William Friedkin, I mean he only made two good films that I can think of which were The Excorsist and French Connection. Spielberg and Scorsese are really the most prominent names from that era and they still hold the torch for the future generation which are guys like : PT, QT, Aranofsky, etc. And I bet none of those guys would disregard classic cinema in the sense that you do, and it’s obvious you haven’t seen your share, but that’s fine. To each it’s own. You watch what you like and I’ll continue watching what I like. No point to argue.

hey, biobasterd, this is kind off-topic…but, since you are so obviously willing to share your passion towards bette davis, and i like these old actresses…could you suggest to me like five or so of her most important movies? i have seem a few and i like them, but i dont know if i have cought her best

Now, back on topic: what if Groucho Marx could work with Quentin? heheh I cant even begin to imagine how that would be…Well, he is working with Myke Myers now, so…maybe that will give an idea about how it would be

Now heres a guy i absolute adore both as a director and an actor, and i think that could be amazing working with Quentin…Orson Welles. He is just so amazing in Touch of Evil.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
Directors: John Ford, Alfred Hitchcock, Elia Kazan, George Cukor, William Wyler, Howard Hawks, Joseph L. Mankiewicz, Orson Welles, Cecil B. DeMile, John Huston, Robert Aldrich, George Stevens, and a crap load more I’m forgetting.

[/quote]

Frank Borzage, Fritz Lang, Leo Mc Carey, Preston Sturges, Lubitsch, Anthony Mann… it’s a never ending list, really…

i’m actually watching a lot of Cecil B. De Mille, it’s amazing…

. . . no point to argue biobasterd?

. . . after you have been quoted as uttering the follow disgusting tirade: “Oh fuck you you little bitch, you wouldn’t know a great fucking actress if you eveer did see one. You Zach Efron loving homo, eat shit and fucking die you son of a whoring bitch.”

. . . go fuck yourself . . .

[quote=“moura”]
hey, biobasterd, this is kind off-topic…but, since you are so obviously willing to share your passion towards bette davis, and i like these old actresses…could you suggest to me like five or so of her most important movies? i have seem a few and i like them, but i dont know if i have cought her best
[/quote]

Certainly, may I add that she’s made over 90 films in her career - some of which have not been released on DVD and are decaying in the vaults. But I will list five of my favorite films:

1. “All About Eve”: I can’t get enough of the picture because of her performance, I think she really gives the performance of her career because this film is the parallel of her actual film career, at this point she was not getting too many good film roles and thae fact that the Warners hired her nemesis - Joan Crawford - that made it all the worst! Bette Davis was actually not the first choice for this role and she fought hard to get it when the original star came down with an illness and had to drop out. She’s referred to as “The First Lady Of Theatre” as her character Margo Channing who started first in “A Midnight Summer’s Dream” at the age of four and was a sensation ever since, until her late age. Hence - there is a loss of cognizance of her own self in the famous car scene with her friend Karen where Margo analyzes her position in this world and faces the fact that SHE IS GETTING OLD and IS being replaced by the young Eve Harrington. And I guess this really bothered her in real life - an actress of her stature and body of work was being replaced by the much younger, and the far less talented, but that never stopped her.

2. “Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?” - It’s the battle of the Actress vs the Movie Star. That is the way Bette always felt about her career, she was brought up through the theatre and Joan - who was then known as Lucille LeSuer was nothing but a dancer and given her first opportunity as an actress she became Joan Crawford and played that role all her life. Joan was all about the glamour, she never did look terrible in a single picture until near the end of her career where she did these horror/thriller films. There’s a big spoiler if I tell too much, but it’s a wonderful film about Baby Jane Hudson (Bette Davis) who is envious of her crippled sister Blanche Hudson (Joan Crawford) who at her time was the biggest movie star and Jane couldn’t even shadow her sister’s prominence, and then the real horror starts.

3. “Jezebel”: The first of three collaborations with director William Wyler. The title alone should give you an idea of the kind of role Bette plays, and she won an Academy Award for Best Actress. It’s a hard-boiled woman’s role about a naive woman who always gets her way with her boyfriend (Henry Fonda). She spites him in a big party where Fonda’s corporate friends have attended - then they part ways, and a year later she wants him back. It’s a great performance, the singing of a New York song was also great, the film was ahead of its time.

4. “The Old Maid” - Another sister vs cousin melodrama. It deals with the choices of a lively young woman (Charlotte Lovell) that leads her to a life of…well an “Old Maid”. Slowly through the years Charlotte’s daughter Tina is taken away from her - not physically of course. But the character change from a gorgeous Bette to an old maid was remarkable and her performance was marvelous to say the least.

5. Marked Woman

I ordered some more films online but so far these are the ones I’ve seen, and I enjoy them all.

All About Eve

Old Maid

Petrified Forest

Marked Woman

Jezebel

What ever Happened To Baby Jane?

Of Human Bondage

The Letter

Satan Met A Lady (Minor role)

Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte

So many good one’s that I still need to see like Now Voyager, The Star, etc.

. . . no point to argue biobasterd?

. . . after you have been quoted as uttering the follow disgusting tirade: “Oh fuck you you little bitch, you wouldn’t know a great fucking actress if you eveer did see one. You Zach Efron loving homo, eat shit and fucking die you son of a whoring bitch.”

. . . go fuck yourself . . .
[/quote]

Sorry that i said that to you sir or mam. You don’t understand me, but when I see a person on screen and develop something towards them, in this case Bette Davis, I just tend to get angry at people who don’t even know who she is or have seen a single one of her pictures, yet still has the balls to say “she sucks” or that she’s “stupid”. It’s a great discovery seeing her films and reading a little bit about her. She was one hellva human being as it turns out. One of a kind and extinct.

the nanny, watch the nanny dude

but you can avoid the shitty sci-fi comedy larry cohen did with her in the 80s, it’s painful to watch

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
Sorry that i said that to you sir or mam. You don’t understand me, but when I see a person on screen and develop something towards them, in this case Bette Davis, I just tend to get angry at people who don’t even know who she is or have seen a single one of her pictures, yet still has the balls to say “she sucks” or that she’s “stupid”. It’s a great discovery seeing her films and reading a little bit about her. She was one hellva human being as it turns out. One of a kind and extinct.[/quote]
. . . apology accepted friend . . .