The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Idiots guide

Hey, very new to film making and havent shot anything yet. Got a lot of ideas for screenplays though. Just wanted to ask a few things:

How do you film a punch, what effects and to make it look intense and actually real?

Secondly and more stupidly (like i said im new) if you are panning the table where a lot of people are speaking then go to a certain person (for his monologue). Would the best thing to do is to pan the table and evryone else and then just vut to the person speaking. Like i said im new and please limit the patronisng replies thanks

Hal

welcome to the board!

First read this:

http://www.exposure.co.uk/makers/minute.html

Then check out this:

http://www.exposure.co.uk/eejit/index.html

This should get you motivated and give you some beginner tips.

For your actual questions:

1. check out any movie that involves punching. Find a punch you really like and start experimenting with shooting that yourself.
  2. check the opening of reservoir dogs

[quote=“Hal06”]
Secondly and more stupidly (like i said im new) if you are panning the table where a lot of people are speaking then go to a certain person (for his monologue). Would the best thing to do is to pan the table and evryone else and then just vut to the person speaking. Like i said im new and please limit the patronisng replies thanks
[/quote]

You have infinite options for filming your scene. Don’t forget that more/more/more is better for editing purposes (master shots, close-ups with pull-backs, over-shoulder shots, medium shots, close shots, panning, tracking, etc., etc., etc.). Use two cameras? Film your rehearsal? Make a storyboard? In my opinion, how/what you film depends entirely on the story you want to tell :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your help i really appreciate it! Im watching as many movies as possible at the moment but i am keeping to the same genre at the moment (gangster/mob jobs). Its cool ive even started to think of camera angles and variations on a scene and i never used to think of that stuff i just used to be lazy and watch the movie! haha. With looking at scenes it doesnt make it any easier due to me not owning a camera i need to get a job and save up lol!! (only 17 so very amateur at this time, even the best were once rubbish…well thats wot i keep telling myself)

[quote=“Hal06”]
Thanks a lot for your help i really appreciate it! Im watching as many movies as possible at the moment but i am keeping to the same genre at the moment (gangster/mob jobs). Its cool ive even started to think of camera angles and variations on a scene and i never used to think of that stuff i just used to be lazy and watch the movie! haha. With looking at scenes it doesnt make it any easier due to me not owning a camera i need to get a job and save up lol!! (only 17 so very amateur at this time, even the best were once rubbish…well thats wot i keep telling myself)
[/quote]

I’m so excited for you! As far as watching films, ride the ride (watch/enjoy the films), and then watch them with the sound off; you’ll learn a lot. You can buy a camera for next to nothing these days; disable all of the auto features and have fun. Good luck!