The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Idea for a great TV show

Lately I’ve been thinking since the whole zombie craze came back a few years ago and not to mention all the videogames and graphic novels - it almost seems as if there is something missing, a TV series! Imagine a TV show where we followed a group of characters surviving a zombie onslaught. For any graphic novel readers out there, just imagine something like The Walking Dead series, where every episode is chronicled. It’s about survival, staying alive and maintaining sanity. And along the way there could be like different survivors, some who have gon e completely mad. I would imagine this playing on HBo, because of all the gory content and language. I wish someone like George A. Romero could produce something like this, I know it would be a great hit if it’s evr done by someone. It would be something like “LOST meets something like Pulp Fiction”. And they should call it “The Rising”, that would be a great title! Justa a crazy idea, though.

it would be great, but it would have to be on HBO,IFC, Showtime or any other uncut channel, because i could not imagine watching a cut version of it.

I dont think it would work but maybe if it went for one season(maybe 13 episodes 20 top)it coul work. Yeah it would have to be on IFC or HBO.

you sound like my uncle when he´s high. i´d probably watch it though.

People have been saying this since The Walking Dead first started. CBS actually

has a pilot called Babylon Fields that I think starts this fall.

As far as needing to be an “R Rated show” I don’t think that’s really true. Network

TV gets away with some pretty graphic stuff and swearing isn’t all that vital to any

plot really. What would the actual plot be though?

I’ve got one for my movie, that would work in tv script but I can’t tell you, its top secret. Heres the unimportant parts, for the society to work they would need to build walls, have an energy source, learn how to build things without importing, fend of rival towns and gangs, etc… Plus alot depends if they are actual Romero zombies or just some lame virus aka RE and 28 Days Later. Mine are neither! Or if they are fast or slow, do they evolve, are there other creatures involved.

I think me nailed it when he said it would have to be a one season show. I think if

it were forced to go on longer than that it would just get silly and/or repetitive.

not if they did each season a completely different story, different characters exc.

Here’s an idea: Overweight Zombies march across the continental divide in a quest to lose weight. Along their journey they are not only encouraged, but educated on how to eat fewer brains and more carrots.

Smartass.

Well, if you look at a a great TV show like LOST, you would know that a show like this could last well over a year. Remember every show can be different, but at the same time there’s focus on character arc. Like every LOST survivor we see flashbacks of their old lifes. There are many great story possibilities when exploring the subject of survival in extreme situations. Like The Walking Dead graphic novels that are tautly written by Robert Kirkman, survival is always a necessity and accomplishing it is a difficult task; other survivors will always have a different agenda about a certain course of action, like Harry Cooper in NOTLD. There’s always a great story behind the subject of survival, that’s the best thing about zombie films and books.

[quote=“Biohazard”]
Well, if you look at a a great TV show like LOST, you would know that a show like this could last well over a year. Remember every show can be different, but at the same time there’s focus on character arc. Like every LOST survivor we see flashbacks of their old lifes. There are many great story possibilities when exploring the subject of survival in extreme situations. Like The Walking Dead graphic novels that are tautly written by Robert Kirkman, survival is always a necessity and accomplishing it is a difficult task; other survivors will always have a different agenda about a certain course of action, like Harry Cooper in NOTLD. There’s always a great story behind the subject of survival, that’s the best thing about zombie films and books.
[/quote]

I don’t know, I just don’t think you have enough there for a “great” TV show. The

main question is “How do you keep a zombie Armageddon compelling season after

season without jumping the shark?” I guess this whole topic is just a hypothetical

anyway though.

I’ve actually been thinking about this alot now and I think it could be done.

Does anyone know any good sites about TV writing? Even just some good

sample scripts would be cool. All I’ve been able to find are transcripts and

sites about writing for existing shows.

I get 10% if you market my idea. ^-^

http://www.script-o-rama.com/snazzy/dircut.html You can read here a crap load of tv scripts. I heard they print them on tiny pages - weird.

Thanks for the link. I didn’t realize script-o-rama had TV scripts but I’ve

found some pretty usefull stuff. I had been trying to use Final Draft’s

templates but they’re all pretty vague.

I’ll jump start a pretty good idea for a pilot. A man wakes up - everything’s bleary at first - then in a series of flash cuts we see him running, there’s chaos all arond him, just imagine something like 9/11. People are running in a crowded city, there are car crashes - well you get the idea. Then when he wakes up he’s inside a building. Scared survivors are barricaded inside and they’re scared etc. Now this is where everything begins, of course there’s going to be some expositional dialogue, so it has to be interesting. The character suffers from amnesia - he apparently suffered a heavy blow to his head or something and dosen’t really remember anything. So a few survivors explain how they found him and took him into safety. Now this is kind of a NOTLD rip off but it works. Their main goal (in this episode) will be to reach a baseball stadium where national guardsmen and policemen have set up a safe haven for uninfected survivors. Now like NOTLD they must generate a plan to flee safely without anyone getting hurt. So during this time, the main character, who I’ll call “Chris” suffers from loss of memory but slowly begins to regain a few bits of memory- where he was and how this entire incident happened, since most survivors don’t know what exactly happened. Lately I’ve been into the whole zombie folklore history - the voodoo based zombies that is, and it’s very interesting. I think there’s a way to connect the voodoo based zombie theme with today’s chemical-generated zombies. Like Resident Evil, Planet Terror and countless more which have used chemicals as the base for their creation. From hereafter the focus goes on character arc - he is actually someone that he would never even imagine he could be, the main reason for the zombie outbreak. Who is he? what did he do? - that could be the mystery and intrigue for a lot of epsodes. Good idea - eh! This factory (my brain) - just keeps getting better. ^-^

I like it. The main character being responsible is a pretty cool idea.

[quote]I think there’s a way to connect the voodoo based zombie theme with today’s chemical-generated zombies. Like Resident Evil, Planet Terror and countless more which have used chemicals as the base for their creation.[/quote]

You could have a evil scientist contimate all popular brands of beer with a toxin that

turns drinkers into zombies and the only way to controll them is to play The Great White

North “theme song” on an old synthesizer.

Well, at least now I don’t have to worry about giving you that 10%. :wink: Mine’s a bit different.

I kinda want to do it like The Wire with the way it adds a new “layer” every season. The first

season was mostly just about the “cops and robbers” then the second season added long

shoreman, the third added the politicians and so on. With each new layer comes new characters

and new plotlines that weave into and greatly effect all the others.

My plan is to have the first season be about a family of five (two parents, three sons) trying

to band together to survive the initial outbreak. The first act (probly 4 episodes) of the season

about each family member’s journey home. The second act would be them putting together a

convoy of cars and leaving for a military outpost a day away. The youngest son gets left

behind and the act would end with the family being car jacked being forced to walk the rest of

the way. The third act would be the family traveling on foot and eventually arriving at the

military outpost only to be stuck in a special “quarantine zone” until it can be confirmed that

they haven’t been bitten.

I’m not really sure how to end the first season though. I don’t really want to do the “shocking

cliffhanger” thing but I also want to leave it open. Maybe have the family finally get into the

outpost to find that very few people made it alive. But the second season would have more

of a political focus. It would start a few months after season 1 and now the outpost has become

a “town” and thus holds a makeshift election that the father becomes a big part of. The military

would be a big part of the season too, as the two oldest sons sign up. The third season would

focus on the newly forming class systems and introduce characters with the “dirty jobs” like the

guys who are contantly expanding the perimeter by extending walls and the people who work in

the “quarantine zone”.

Well that a rough outline of what I’ve got so far. I’ve gotta word pad file full of characters and

their subplots as well as a loose map of the first four seasons. I know it’ll probly never go anywhere

but I figure at the very least I can write the pilot and adapt it into a movie or something.

Damn, I was doing some digging trying to find out when Babylon Fields was

gonna air only to find out that someone’s already beat us to the punch.

It looks like a group of people in Utah have already filmed three episodes of

a zombie show. Here’s the link: http://www.lifelesstheseries.com/

And just for the record it turns out the pilot for Babylon Fields didn’t get picked

up and wasn’t really about zombies anyway.

It kinda ooks like Resident Evil: Apocalypse. It looks pretty extreme though, It will probably play in Spike tv or something. I’d watch it.