The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

How shocking are Quentin Tarantino's films for audiences unfamiliar with him?

I’d like to know people’s first reactions after watching Quentin Tarantino films (especially Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but any comments are useful.)

when I first watched Pulp Fiction, i knew right away, I’ll watch it every week from now on until the rest of my life :wink:

same here, saw pulp fiction once and knew i wasn’t going to get bored of it for a long time

[quote=“Tarantino Forum Admin”]
when I first watched Pulp Fiction, i knew right away, I’ll watch it every week from now on until the rest of my life :wink:
[/quote]
I had the same feeling, only with reservoir dogs.

That sick fucking scene in Pulp Fiction was pretty shocking. Even after like 20 minutes, I still didn’t get over the shock from seeing that.

After watching Pulp Fiction (my first QT film) I thought it was absouloutley brilliant, the coolest movie I’d ever seen; some parts of it were kinda shocking, but they were dealt with in such a way that they werent too disturbing, plus everything is rightously resolved by the end.

Resevoir dogs was diffrent, it was a much more bloody and realistic movie, with a fairly shocking ending, but I still really enjoyed it and found it very satisifying in sad/thoughtful way.

No I wasn’t actually!! I just didn’t expect a big time crime boss to get fucked in the ass, it was quite unexpected (it was shocking in terms of the story not shocking in real life as in “oh my God, is that man doing another man” because I know there are some really sick fuckin fags out there)

Marcellus Wallace being raped was shocking and repugnant, that scene still makes me cringe and look away. Yes, I think Quentin Tarantino films still substain their shocks even after many audiences may have been de-sensitized by Deliverance, yet those were a bunch of inbred dumb rednecks, what’d expect?

I think Pulp Fiction impacts much harder for sheer perversion and degeneracy, and delves into the human sickness. I am not sure whether or not, even Irreversible’s rape scene though more graphic and violent sedates the shock in this Pulp Fiction scene.

Absolutely agree with Ify.

And I know people who stop watching Pulp Fiction at the Gold Watch part, saying it makes no sense and, of course, missing the Bonnie Situation - the answers.

When I first saw Pulp Fiction I thought it was utterly pointless. It took me several viewings to understand the narrative, which I got the wrong way round anyway, and had to be rescued by a flow diagram in an explanatory book of the movie. I adore it nonetheless.

Reservoir Dogs was great. I don’t get easily shocked by things like extreme violence and stray ears, etc. so I’ve not had to run out of the room in horror while watching any of Q’s movies. Actually, the only thing that has horrified/shocked me was when I realised Tarantino sounded similar to tarantula, which doesn’t help since I’m an arachnophobic.

I was warned about Jackie Brown, but only because 10 people saw it in the theaters originally and were “bored s***less” by it. And so was I, so I didn’t bother to even finish the movie, or find out what happened.

[quote=“BB”]

I was warned about Jackie Brown, but only because 10 people saw it in the theaters originally and were “bored s***less” by it. And so was I, so I didn’t bother to even finish the movie, or find out what happened.
[/quote]

What? Jackie Brown was the shit. I suggest you watch it another 3 times to really appreciate it! But, To each his own.

Yeah, Jackie Brown is not very funny and interesting for those who want to see some action and laugh. But if you follow the plot, you may find it so complicated and cool, like I did. That’s one stylish gangster film, I mean it. And it’s not shocking for audiences unfamiliar with Tarantino.

After Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction many fans wanted to see something like that. That’s why they got bored. I personally like every Tarantino work.

(By the way I only appreciated Jackie Brown watching it second time, hehehe)

I’m forcing myself to watch it again. It grew on me a little, and I’d like to find out how it ends.

I wasn’t actually expecting anything similar to Pulp or RD, I take them all as individual movies, although I know to expect QT style in each. Jackie just didn’t click with me, although to be fair neither did RD at first, so I guess it’s only right that I give Jackie a second go.

I went to the cinema to see Pulp Fiction “dragged” by my friend and mumbling grumpy stuff all the way because I thougfht I was gonna hate it (I didn’t know anything about it or about Quentin back then), but as soon as it started I kew I was watching my favourite film EVER.

About the rape scene… well, I won’t say it wasn’t unpleasant… but that’s how it’s meant to be! Besides… I don’t know if some other people have seen a different version of the movie I saw… but it wasn’t as repugnant and disturbing as to have to look away! C’mon! If you see movies from time to time, you must be used to that sort of stuff!

Still, it’s sick. That wasn’t SHOCKING, that was kinda DISGUSTING, all those sounds and everything. At least Marcellus tortured Zed, that’s cool.

the first time I saw PF, I couldn’t take my eyes of the TV…and I screamed “noo” when it quit. I loved it from the first time. :-*

but my sister…seven years older than me, walked away after 40 minutes or something like that…she said it were the worst crap ever. :-</E>

but my first QT movie was RD and I thaught it was cool but didn’t realy understood everything at that moment.

when I first sow Kill Bill Vol.1 I was so shocked by all the blod and violence but it was in such a artistic way. I thought of myself as a fucking psycho becouse i liked the violence. Do you guys agree with me about that jackie brown is least best of QTs movies…just curious. ???

[quote=“Pai_Mei”]
when I first sow Kill Bill Vol.1 I was so shocked by all the blod and violence but it was in such a artistic way.
[/quote]
How people react to that matter really depends on what films you’ve been watching before. Many western people will be shocked because the violence in KB is something they haven’t seen before. But those who are familiar with asian cinema know that even though KB’s violence is extreme on Hollywood standards, there’s nothing that hasn’t already been seen in every other samurai, yakuza or revenge movie. Many of those films Tarantino is “borrowing” from are actually much more violent than KB. That’s why they released the longer cut of KB Vol. 1 in japan. The normal version almost got rated nc-17 in US, while two minute longer cut was rated 15 in japan.

[quote=“Pai_Mei”]
Do you guys agree with me about that jackie brown is least best of QTs movies…just curious. ???
[/quote]
No, Reservoir Dogs is the least best (even though I love it). There’s actually another topic about the subject: <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.p … c=3093.210”>http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php?topic=3093.210</LINK_TEXT>

I wasn’t shocked when I saw Kill Bill Vol. 1. (My first, ain’t I cute.) First I was surprised, 'cause I hadn’t seen anything like it. Just the beginning, I was sold. All the blood and that, I watched it just amazed, it looked so great. Damn, if I just could watch it at first time again (BTW, I have an idea about a guy who erases movies from his memory, so he can watch it again).

When i first saw Pulp Fiction, words cannot describe.

The directing couldnt have been any better, the spectacular script and breathtaking acting made it one of the most immense films i think of my lifetime so far. It made me a film fan for life.

It didnt shock me. It kinda brought me down to earth.

Long live Tarantino.