How much did you know about DP prior to seeing it? (SPOILERS)

[color=red]Spoiler thread

Aka how badly were you spoiled?

Myself I did pretty damn good job avoiding spoilers. I didn’t know (just to mention a few):

• There were car chases in the film
  • The movie was split into two separate halves
  • The second half was different from first
  • There was a second group of girls
  • Mike had a second car and would crash the first one
  • Vanishing Point car was in the movie
  • Eli Roth was in the movie
  • Anything about the plot except that there’s a guy called Stutman Mike who kills people with his stunt car

I also didn’t know non-asian girls could be this much fun ;D

I knew too much: I knew the first part was an homage to rock all night I knew jungle julia would have a leg tear apart (but I thought she would survive), I knew about the Psycho structure (even though this is much more a Vertigo structure).

A week before the film opened, I saw accidentally a piece of the trailer that tells it all (the line from rosario dawnson: “let’s kill him”…)

Not that much but already way too much.

i read the script, so i guess i knew the whole movie, or atleast the cannes cut. I also read the planet terror script, so i knew that whole movie too.

I’m with Hung Fist - actually this is the first thread in the whole Grindhouse section I check in months. Just decided to enter here, as I’ve seen the movie already. I didn’t even know about the girls, I just knew:

• a killer with a car;
  • grindhouse;
  • QT’s in it;
  • MA magazine is in it (accidentally saw it in Sofia Coppola thread, Seth, you inconsiderate bastard, haha);
  • kinda cheap Kill Bill references (mom told me, she saw it first);
  • Stuntman Mike, his appearance and who he was, from banners and avatars and quotes.

That’s really about it. I did pretty fine, didn’t even see the trailer, so the movie was in mint condition. I seriously can’t understand those who read the scripts, what the hell?

I always stay away from scripts, but (Thanks to the trailers) I knew there would be two big car crashes. One at night and one in the daytime (Although I was fooled by the daytime one since it turned out to be a crash from Machete)

Figured that girl group #1 would all get killed at night since none of them weren’t seen in (What was presumed to be) the big, climactic car chase during the day.

Here’s another thing that I got wrong. I thought there would be much more back-and-forth fighting between Mike and girl group #2.

Example: During their “2nd” clash, I thought Zoe would attack Mike with the pipe and she didn’t have time to get inside the car because Mike was too close to ramming her, hence, this would explain how she ended up on the hood (Oops!) Then the clip I saw on David Letterman (With Mike ramming their car with “You wanna get hot?” and “Get ready to fly!”) I expected this to be his retaliation after getting beat up by Zoe.

And as much as I still loved the final (And REAL) result, I thought this would have made things much more intense.

Oh, and since I kept on thinking this was a slasher, I expected Mike to suffer a grisly death (Similar to Arlene’s)

[quote=“Laydback”]
(Although I was fooled by the daytime one since it turned out to be a crash from Machete)

[/quote]

Yeah that fooled me too.

[quote=“Bleach”]
I’m with Hung Fist - actually this is the first thread in the whole Grindhouse section I check in months.
[/quote]

Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m doing with Planet Terror now. I won’t be entering the PT section before I’ve seen the film, nor will I watch any trailers. I do love trailers though, but I only watch them

a) when I’m not convinced I want to see the movie

b) I’ve already seen the movie

[quote=“Laydback”]
Oh, and since I kept on thinking this was a slasher, I expected Mike to suffer a grisly death (Similar to Arlene’s)
[/quote]

I also though the film would be more of a slasher film that it turned out to be. Something like Carmageddon meets Friday the 13th…

i was disapointed by the fact it wasn’t a slasher. the goods weren’t deliver. PR will probably be a direct-to-video.

I guess I already know everything about the film without having seen it, cause none of your points have spoiled anything for me till now.

You haven’t seen the film and you’re reading this thread?

I read the script already, so it doesn’t matter

It’s like watching the film in slow-mo. Was really exciting, wasn’t it, Scarface?

Funnily enough I love reading a script before watching a movie. It really helps you in understanding the choice of camera angles and directing in general. And Death Proof isn’t exactly a film with a lot of twists and turns, so few harm done in that regard.

Hahahaha, Death Proof has one of the biggest twist I’ve seen in years…

[quote=“Jelle”]
Hahahaha, Death Proof has one of the biggest twist I’ve seen in years…
[/quote]

You don’t watch many movies it seems

[quote=“Scarface”]
Funnily enough I love reading a script before watching a movie. It really helps you in understanding the choice of camera angles and directing in general.
[/quote]

Once the film is out you have all the time in the world to understand the directing. but watching a great film for the first time without being spoiled man it’s priceless.