How long does it take you to write?

[quote=“Ify”]
That’s not the only thing that takes you 7 seconds is it? ;D
[/quote]
it’d only take 5 to kick your scrawny little ass.

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
it’d only take 5 to kick your scrawny little ass.
[/quote]

Strange, but true. ;D

it all depends on the person…some take a few hours, and for others they could be half way though and be dead already…like myself so many times have i tried to sit and type up some kind of screenplay but i get bored very fast and end up never completing, one day i will…maybe :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been working on a pilot script lately. It took me like two days to write a treatment and kind of map out where I wanted the first two seasons to go but I’ve been working on the actual script for like a month now and I’ve still got an act to go. To my credit I tend to do a lot of re-writing before draft one is even finished so the rough draft should be pretty close to a final draft by the time I hit the final page.

I try to give myself deadlines but it’s pretty easy to not stick to an imaginary commitment.

[quote=“Dex”]
I’ve been working on a pilot script lately. It took me like two days to write a treatment and kind of map out where I wanted the first two seasons to go but I’ve been working on the actual script for like a month now and I’ve still got an act to go. To my credit I tend to do a lot of re-writing before draft one is even finished so the rough draft should be pretty close to a final draft by the time I hit the final page.

I try to give myself deadlines but it’s pretty easy to not stick to an imaginary commitment.
[/quote]

well goodluck and i hope you finish :slight_smile:

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the “imaginary commitment”, Dex. I’ve put one on myself for November… I’m going to do my best to reach it, but, it doesn’t really “need” to be done.

I’ve just finished the rough draft of a screenplay I’ve been working on for a couple of years, again. I’ve finished it before, but rather than go back and change everything I want, I just start over with it, cannibalising the previous script. It’s nearly a completely different story everytime I write it… Therefore, I do not consider any of the second drafts actual second drafts… It’s just an endless series of firsts. It’s gonna be amazing when I feel it’s finished though.

It takes me forever to get to a point where I’m happy with anything that I’ve written. I’m just too hard on myself and end up throwing it away. I agree it is a good idea to let something incubate for a while and return to it later for a fresh perspective. It helps you see the flaws in your writing but can also help you see that something you thought was bad actually works. Its cool to hear how others on the site go about writing because its such a personal thing - good to hear the perspectives of others :slight_smile:

I’m an off and on writer. Lately I’m way off. But for me to write and really be on a roll, about 5 months. But that’s when I’m on a roll and spitting out the first draft. During this time, so many new directions come up. So… I’d say 5 months is fair, although it has taken shorter and longer.

better question than how long it takes to write something…has any of you wrote anything that has been successful? :smiley:

Well, I’m a published poet. What have you done, my dear?

[quote=“bubblegum2”]
better question than how long it takes to write something…has any of you wrote anything that has been successful? :smiley:
[/quote]

I’ve written several things that have made my mother cry tears of pride and my first full length script made my Dad say: “Damn, that shit ain’t half bad.” So… yes, some of the things I’ve written have been successful.

[quote=“bubblegum2”]
[/quote]

[quote=“Geoi”]
Well, I’m a published poet. What have you done, my dear?
[/quote]

Burn!

It took me exactly 11 seconds to write this passage:

“Remember, remember the fifth of November,

The gunpowder, treason and plot,

I know of no reason

Why the gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot.â€

Huh, I only knew the first line of that poem - I didn’t know there was more to it.

There’s probably a lot that you don’t know. ;D

BURN!

;D

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
There’s probably a lot that you don’t know. ;D
[/quote]

You’re right - what other nursery rhymes can you teach me?

[quote=“FoxForceFive”]
You’re right - what other nursery rhymes can you teach me?
[/quote]

but of course:

Little Boy Horner sat in a corner eating a pizza-pie

he shit peperroni, blew his friend Tony, and wiped his mouth on his tie!

Little Boy Blew…he needed the money!

Jack and Jill went up the hill each with a buck and a quarter…

Jill came down with $2.50…what a whore.

Thanks! The Jack and Jill one is my favourite.

[quote=“FoxForceFive”]
Thanks! The Jack and Jill one is my favourite.
[/quote]

try these:

there was an old lady who lived in a shoe

she had so many children that her uterus fell out.

Little miss Muffet sat on a tuffet eating her curds and whey

along came a spider and sat down beside her and said

"hey…what’s in the bowl bitch?"

and my personal favorite:

Georgie Porgie puddin pie

jerked off in his girlfriends eye

when her eye dried up shut

georgie porgie fucked that one eyed slut

courtesy of Andrew Dice Clay.