How Beatty was fired and Carradine was hired

[quote]I could definately see Beatty as the acting Bill, but not the fighting Bill.

But I definately hope Beatty plays a part in Inglorious Bastards. He was badass in his days.[/quote]

I agree.

But Carradine is perfect.

Books:

David’s Autobiography is: “Endless Highway”

“The Kung Fu Book of Caine” (not Carradine) is by Herbie J Pilato (which I happen to know personally) He also wrote “The Kung Fu Book of Wisdom.”

I’ve also spoken with David Carradine when he hosted two workshops up at the Omega Institute near Rhinebeck New York. You can read about the events at the following link.

http://www.joaquinfamily.net/dc/omega/index.htm

(@

AJCrane

That is the VERY REASON why I am going to see this movie. It is because of David Carradine. I have waited a long time to see him on the big screen. Most of his movies were released on video or played only in Europe. Very few were shown in American Theaters. He is a superb actor, but Hollywood thought of him as a radical and they did not take much of a chance with him, partially because during the earlier years of television, Hollywood did not see television acting as something that could be worthy of the big screen.

Also David Carradine did one thing before very few people were doing it. He tried to create his own independent film company before it was even considered popular to do so. Independent film companies were those companies not associated with Hollywood and usually done by art students. They were small potatoes. David with his Americana (even though the film was seen in a few theaters) people were drawn to it as a film that should be studied. If you have not seen Americana, you can now get it on DVD.

Endess Highway is a raw honest approach. It is filled with passion, and when I read it, I could not put it down. I did not want to put it down. I was forced to because it was so intense, I actually got a headache from reading it. Even so, after I got rid of my headache, I continued to read and finish the book.

His other work Spirit of Shaolin was written at the urging of his former Sifu (kung fu instructor) to set the record straight on what kung fu was all about. His Sifu felt that all the movies that were coming out about kung fu were exploitive and did not have any real understanding of what it was all about. (That’s the opinion of one man-and he is right. Even so, they are for entertainment purposes, not for teaching kung fu.)

Even so, David’s skills as a kung fu martial artist has been on the low key, that is the kind of person that he is. He keeps that close to the vest, and very few really know how skilled he is. In his movie Circle of Iron (Silent Flute), he had to learn three other martial arts styles. He played four characters in that movie and each had their own style of kung fu. That had to come across on the screen.

David is soft spoken. He doesn’t blow his own horn. He is much like his character Kwai Chang Caine, even though he may not admit to it. That is why he was chosen for the part of Caine in the first place. David puts a part of himself into every character that he ever plays, and when you see him act, no matter how bad the movie is, you see something in him that shines out and you realize that this man is a great actor.

If anyone wishes to discuss more of David once Kill Bill is done, I invite all you David Carradine fans to my site where I have a message board there.

http://www.joaquinfamily.net/

I also have a section on David Carradine and you can join my David Carradine Yahoo Fan Club site. Enjoy.

(@

AJCrane

Can any of you confirm that Kevin Costner was also mentioned for the role as Bill??

That’s what imdb.com says but I never heard about that.

Actually David is the best choise cause Quentin wrote that character for him. In germany we say: This fits like ass on bucket…

Hopefully the dubbed version will be as good as the unddubbed version because the double feature I’m gonna see is that version.

[quote]seagal can’t act, everone knows that[/quote]

And Carradine has about 2 or even 3 or lets say 4 good movies under his belt. He has proven himself beyond the one role that he more or less stole from some one else based on his skin color, yeah Caradine can act? Just wonder why no one ever seemed to notice it before

[quote]

And Carradine has about 2 or even 3 or lets say 4 good movies under his belt. He has proven himself beyond the one role that he more or less stole from some one else based on his skin color, yeah Caradine can act? Just wonder why no one ever seemed to notice it before[/quote]

hm no one noticed that Carradine can act?

So you would consider Ingmar Bergman a NOONE? Carradine went to Berlin only for playing for Bergman the leading role in The serpents egg!. He gave up everything in Hollywood to play this role, the last word a Hollywood producer said to him, was If you go to Berlin, go to hell!

And you consider Hal Asbury a NOONE?

hm Carradine played the leading role in Bount for glory. btw nominated for a Golden Globe…

And you would consider Martin Scorsese a NOONE?

Cuz Carradine plaed the leading role in Boxcar Bertha. And in Mean Streets also.

And you would consider Walter Hill a NOONE?

Cuz Carradine played a leading role in Long Riders.

WOW! You have balls, to call all this directors NOONES. See this man has a deep drug and alcohol problem and was crazy many, many times, but he played Shakespeare on stage before you was born…

Hate is sometimes a bad partner, Matixfan. Stop hating others for their taste, start enjoy your life…

Don’t even bother with the troll anymore CPS. He’s the same guy who jerks off in front of Keanu movies, I guess that makes him hugely credible to talk about acting skills.

[quote]Don’t even bother with the troll anymore CPS. He’s the same guy who jerks off in front of Keanu movies, I guess that makes him hugely credible to talk about acting skills.[/quote]

I know that you are sooooo right Scarface, but when I read this shit, I can´t believe it. I mean, to hate something is one thing, but to post such wrong things.......gggrrrhh!

Well I will try to make it better:
See, that´s cps now: 8)

It’s like trying to teach a blind vegetarian who doesn’t know how to fish to see himself eating a fish.

I made that up just now. Tip your waitresses. I’ll be hear until thursday!

boo!

WE WANT SIGFRIED! WE WANT SIGFRIED!

[quote]

No, man, wouldn´t read a book written of him about Kung Fu, In this case � would prefer books of a traditional Kung Fu familiy.

Well David Carradine wrote a book about his life. It´s called Endless highway. It´s the shit, man!

I read that QT read it before he fits the role for him and so I tried to buy the book.

Official it is out of sale, but you can find it!

It is not like a normal biographie, it is 10 times more cool. He wrote really interessting stories, about his brothers, his father, about Hollywood, Sex, Drugs, and whatever. I explained all his exoerience with drugs and alcohol. How he loves fast cars and whatever…[/quote]

Thanks, I think I’ll check it out sometime…I’ve seen some illegit copies on amazon in the used section. Carradine is the MAN!

From the few things i’ve seen, Carradine doesn’t look like more than a one dimensional actor. But apparently he’s done some fine acting jobs in many films that I haven’t even heard of. So I can’t really judge his acting ability until I see some of those films that you guys mentioned. But the one thing that I can’t get over is how he got the lead role in Kung Fu when Bruce Lee was originally going to star. >:(

[quote]From the few things i’ve seen, Carradine doesn’t look like more than a one dimensional actor. But apparently he’s done some fine acting jobs in many films that I haven’t even heard of. So I can’t really judge his acting ability until I see some of those films that you guys mentioned. But the one thing that I can’t get over is how he got the lead role in Kung Fu when Bruce Lee was originally going to star. >:([/quote]

Bruce Lee never would have gotten Kung Fu. Sure, the whole project was his baby, but studio execs, even today, would NEVER cast an Asian in a lead role on a respectable tv series. Saying Carradine stole the lead in Kung Fu is like saying Uma Thurman stole the lead in Kill Bill.

Anyway, watch Bound for Glory. Its one of those movies that doesn’t really go anywhere, it kind of drifts along in a sleep manner much like the character of Woody Guthrie himself, but you still end up not being able to take your eyes off the screen for a second. Seeing that movie would be enough even to shut dick sucking fags like matrixfan up in regards to Carradine’s acting talents.

Also, has anyone seen Keith Carradine playing Wild Bill Hickcock on the HBO series, Deadwood? I think he’s great, too. If you have HBO and haven’t seen it yet, the first three episodes are being played on Friday night from 7-10pm. And new episodes come on following the Sopranos. Great, gritty series.

Heheh. Both Carradine’s are playing guys named Bill, and they both get killed at the end of their respective stories.

I never said he stole the role, but the whole thing just pisses me off. Not casting an Asian in the lead because he was “too Asian looking” is just retarded. Yes, the American studios would never bet on something like that, but I still think that Kung Fu would have had just as big a cult following if Lee had played the lead role.

[quote]I never said he stole the role, but the whole thing just pisses me off. Not casting an Asian in the lead because he was “too Asian looking” is just retarded. Yes, the American studios would never bet on something like that, but I still think that Kung Fu would have had just as big a cult following if Lee had played the lead role. [/quote]

True, but the original Kung Fu was BEYOND cult following. It was like THE show on television for part of the seventies. You couldn’t have grown up back then and NOT know that David Carradine was one helluva a actor and one bad ass motherfucker.

Hell, my dad isn’t even really into movies anymore, but when he saw the first Kill Bill trailer last year, he was like, “Hey! Thats David Carradine! He’s great.”

"Do you find me sadistic?"

Just the tone of that voice was proof that QT found the right guy.

[quote]"Do you find me sadistic?"

Just the tone of that voice was proof that QT found the right guy.
[/quote]

Perfect example

Bruce Lee was TOO MACHO for the role. They wanted someone who was peaceful. David Carradine fit that character. They needed someone who could pass for an American and yet could also be Chinese. Bruce would not have been able to fit that role.

Read “The Kung Fu Book of Caine.” Herbie J Pilato writes all about the show. The idea was never Bruce Lee’s it was Ed Spielman’s. The idea that is attributed to Bruce Lee is the movie Circle of Iron (The Silent Flute).

Bruce Lee was considered for the role, but he wasn’t the cult film hero at that time (1971).

Harvey Frand said and I quote, "In my eyes and in the eyes of Jerry Thorpe, David Carradine was always our first choice the play Caine, but there was some disagreement because the network was interested in a more muscular actor, and the studio was interested in getting Bruce Lee.

Frand says Lee wouldn’t have really been approppriate for the series - despite the fact that he went on to considerable success in the martial arts film world. The Kung Fu show needed a serene person, and Carradine was more appropriate for the role."

That comes straight from the book

(@

AJCrane