Holy shit, that fucking kick ass shot!

You know the one I’m talking about, in the House of Blue Leaves. It starts on the 5, 6, 7, 8s, and goes under the stairs to follow the Bride, into the bathroom, then the lighting effect in the stall, then follows the owners out of the kitchen, upstairs, to find Sophie, follows her to the bathroom, and another lighting effect in the stall, and ends on the Bride.

That has to be THE most complex shot of the past 2 years. Bob Richardson and QT make a fucking awsome team, I hope he shoots Inglorious Bastarads.

Yeah, it was cool, but I’ve never gotten off on long shots like that. I know we’re supposed to be impressed, but even the mother of all tracking shots from Goodfellas is just a technique to me. Cool, but for me, the shot of O-ren and her posse entering the restaurant was way cooler. That may be a reflection of my own vacuity, but in case you’re interested, the most extended tracking shot in history can be found in Russian Ark which came out last year.

Unlike Hitchcock’s The Rope, which looks like it’s done in one shot but cheats to get the effect, Russian Ark is one continuous shot throughout the different rooms of the Hermitage. Pretty amazing technical feat, but not all that satisfying in the end.

I definently love that shot. I think there’s two long shots in the HOBL. Certainly similar to the style of one of Quentin’s heros…

You know whom I speak of. :slight_smile:

[quote]

Unlike Hitchcock’s The Rope, which looks like it’s done in one shot but cheats to get the effect,quote]

im sorry, i gotta stand up for Hitchcock here, but back then when Rope was made, you could only shoot 8 minutes at a time.  while ur technically correct that it wasnt done in one take, it was done in the smallest amount possible due to the current technology.

and im sorry, i have no idea how to use quotes

That tracking shot is one of my favorite sequences of Volume 1. I love the way QT set it all up. Larry McConkey (steadicam) did a great job!

I think my favorite tracking shots are:

The beginning of Touch of Evil (Orson Welles)

The opening of Psycho (Hitchcock wanted to top Welles’ Touch of Evil shot with it)

The cat n mouse sequence in Dressed To Kill (DePalma)

The Copa tracking shot in GoodFellas

The train station footchase in Carlitos Way (DePalma also shot by Larry McConkey)

The Brides’ Sneak n Creep through the HOBL (QT)

[quote]Russian Ark is one continuous shot throughout the different rooms of the Hermitage.[/quote]

What movie is that about? When did it come out?

Yes, the Rope thing by Hitchcock, the reels back then could only hold approx. 8-10 minutes of film, so they had to cheat.

I loved the HOBL one-shot, and I thought it does what other filmmakers don’t do enough of, which is show us more of the relationship and geography of the characters and the setting. We get an idea of how big the House of Blue Leaves is and how many rooms it has without actually being there. You don’t get that same feeling if it were edited and cut up the normal way. A feeling of space and time is lost. The best shot in Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were the long tracking shots when Bruce Willis and Michael Madsen go out into the real world in real time. It is not showy, but a essentail technique to build tension (I thought Butch was going to get shot up by Marsellus’ gang the first time I saw it).

And besides, long tracking shots are very similar to the way we experience things in real life. I’m glad Tarantino knows how to use it and use it well.

jodru!

I totally agree… I think the O-ren entering the House of Blue Leaves with 7 body-guards following her, and in slow-motion, and with the funky music, is one of the coolest moments…

And then I like O-ren standing when she looks at the half that’s left of her samourai Swords ethui, turns it around and throws it behind her, and the camera moves closer to her smiling face… the snow is sharper… while the funky step-dance spanish music gets funkier and louder…

I think maybe one of the coolest moments of crazy88 fighting is When Beatrix stands infront of the woman crazy88…

and jodru, I was at the Russian Ark world premiere at the Gothenburg Film Festival february 2003, and I think I noticed a cut… or maybe it was because I fell asleep…

Foppish idiots walking around like pansies. Funk that! lol.