The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Help!

Hey guys and girls,

As I posted earlier I am working on a film called “Night is Day” - it is a feature length sci-fi comic book action drama (it’s a long genre, but it fits!) and we’re filming the first part of it in 3 weeks. We will then go and film the 2nd longer part in the next four or five months.

So far we have recieved some kind donations to our project that has helped us in pre-production and I would like to thank everybody for doing this - your names will soon be added to the website over at http://www.nightisday.co.uk

But now I need help - we need to buy insurance for our equipment, there is no way around it - and we realise that we need an extra £400 (around $768 and around 577 Euros) and we are having a tough time finding the money.

If anybody out there can help us by donating any amount of money then I would be eternally greatful. I will credit you on the site, I will credit you in the film and if you want I will link to your site from mine.

I have a PayPal account set up if anybody can help me. All the details of the film can be found on the website - http://www.nightisday.co.uk

I really hope you will be able to help me.

Thank You.

• Fraser

hi. 'm sorry i wont be able to help you, just a question about your film really. where are you filming it? are you filming in japan? or just in and around glasgow?

also, have you made any other films before?

thanks

have you considered restructuring your insurance budget?

in what way?

Have to agree with trying to restructure…if there’s a shortage and your looking for capital that you may or may not have you had better plan for the latter and just assume now that you won’t be getting the much needed funds. From what you say your coming down to the end of the line and you have to look at all angles.

1. restructuring
  2. cutting out shots (get rid of the crane shot, or compositing or anything you think is not as important as the shoot, acrifice the lamb)
  3. cutting scenes
  4. cutting luch (cut this one first and your actors will walk)
  5. push back until you have secured proper funding (this leads to major problems needless to say)
  6. sell your soul (just kidding i’d stop at 3)

hope this helped a bit

javascript:void(0);

Huh

Sorry, please could you let me know exactly what you need this amount of money for? the actors are working for free? you’re shooting on dv? i dont get it. ive made films before, and i know what youre thinking but theyre really good. we have all kinds of special effects, expensive looking shots and locations. they cost us absolutely nothing. maybe a couple of quid for a toy gun or some makeup but apart from that, nothing!

i dont mean to sound like an asshole and im not trying to piss on your chips, but just because you that it cost so many millions or thousands to make a film, it doesnt mean that you cant make one for less.

look at clerks. it cost what, 58 grand? now, with digital cameras instead of 16mm, and by making everyone work for free, i guarantee, if i had the script, i could have made it more absolutely nothing! maybe a few pounds from my own pocket to order a couple of late night pizzas or something, if we were filming late but aside from that, nothing.

good luck tho.

johnny ??? ??? ???

clerks was 27,000 (just to clarify)

A good book on how to budget your film well, is digital film making 101, you should check it out, it may help you cut your budget it down a fair amount.

[quote=“johnny_destiny”]
javascript:void(0);

Huh

Sorry, please could you let me know exactly what you need this amount of money for? the actors are working for free? you’re shooting on dv? i dont get it. ive made films before, and i know what youre thinking but theyre really good. we have all kinds of special effects, expensive looking shots and locations. they cost us absolutely nothing. maybe a couple of quid for a toy gun or some makeup but apart from that, nothing!

i dont mean to sound like an asshole and im not trying to piss on your chips, but just because you that it cost so many millions or thousands to make a film, it doesnt mean that you cant make one for less.

look at clerks. it cost what, 58 grand? now, with digital cameras instead of 16mm, and by making everyone work for free, i guarantee, if i had the script, i could have made it more absolutely nothing! maybe a few pounds from my own pocket to order a couple of late night pizzas or something, if we were filming late but aside from that, nothing.

good luck tho.

johnny ??? ??? ???
[/quote]

lol if u did it , it would be shit

why? youve never seen any of my films. you have no idea what theyre like. why would it be shit?

its ur attitude

what about my attitude? look, maybe im coming across as a bit of a dick but really, i’m not. i’m trying to help. all i’m saying is that the majority of a films budget goes towards the actual film used, the wages of everyone from the actors to the caterers, things like props, sets, rights for things like music stuff like that. with the kind of film fraser is making, he doesnt need to pay for actors, film stock, sets. use the stuff around you. don’t hire caterers… instead go to the shop buy a few loaves of bread and make some sandwiches. or order pizza. or have a barbeque. its more fun that way too… i’m guessing most of the music will be original stuff anyway. and im also guessing he’s already got the basics, ie camera, editing software etc.

im not saying dont be ambitious. thats the opposite of what im saying. i know that if you dont aim high, you’ll never achive anything, never progress. i just think you need to be realistic.

youre in a tarantino forum so you obviously have taste in films, but use that as inspiration. look at res dogs. can u imagine if qentin had tried to make kill bill back then? frasers film sounds like a mixture of the dead zone, unbreakable, pitch black, the matrix and kill bill, most of which are excellent films but lets face it. youre what? nearly 20, broke and living in glasgow. i would try something a little closer to home before i get in over my head with an all out sci-fi action film.

i dont mean to sound condescending (spelling?) but it only annoys me because i can see that fraser, like me, is passionate about the subject and looks as though he definately has talent and i would hate to see this thing fail and for fraser to give up doing what i know to be one the most rewarding things in life… making films. i’m not being a bastard, really, im just trying to help. please dont everyone hate me for it!!

i’d love to hear what fraser has to say,

good luck whatever you do,

johnny destiny

:slight_smile: