The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Help with a friend

I thought maybe you guys could help me with this problem I’m having with a friend.

He worships QT and wants to be a movie maker. The only problem is he sucks. He’s done a few home movies and hasn’t shown any ability yet.

Now, if he was content to just make home movies I wouldn’t have a problem as I also make home movies we somtimes do stuff together. But he wants to start going to film festivals with his and he keeps trying to get me involved. It’s not even like he wants to go to small ones that are free or on the internet. He wants to hit the big ones. Like Canns, Sundance, and Heartland. He keeps talking about it and I keep telling him it would be a waste of money. He dosen’t even have a good camera. It’s one of those old ones that use the oversized DV tapes. The audio hums exremely bad and is mono.

I can’t seem to break his dilusions. I keep telling him he needs a film school, because if anybody does it’s him, but he won’t listen. Hell, he dosen’t even write scripts. He just marks down notes and makes stuff up as he goes along. I don’t see how he expects to be a Hollywood director if he dosen’t even understand the basic aspects of film making.

I like making movies. It’s a fun hobby, but I don’t want my whole life dedicated to it and trying to make him seem better than he is. I’ve got to find a way to make him more idependant and I think the only way to do that is to convince him to go to film school.

If you got any ideas let me know.

what exactly is the problem here? this friend of yours is living in a kind of fantasyworld in your opinion…so why not let him live that?

If you don’t want to take part in that, just don’t ! keep your own needs in mind and respect your friends needs, if he really sucks he will hear it from other people, you don’t want to be the dude that tells him he isnt any good…support him in his dreams and leed him, don’t tell him what to do, just give him hints, but in a friendly kinda way, nobody wants a priest as a friend who is a constant bad voice over of your life…

be a friend, support him and keep your own needs in mind.

[quote=“tarantino_is_god”]
what exactly is the problem here? this friend of yours is living in a kind of fantasyworld in your opinion…so why not let him live that?

If you don’t want to take part in that, just don’t ! keep your own needs in mind and respect your friends needs, if he really sucks he will hear it from other people, you don’t want to be the dude that tells him he isnt any good…support him in his dreams and leed him, don’t tell him what to do, just give him hints, but in a friendly kinda way, nobody wants a priest as a friend who is a constant bad voice over of your life…

be a friend, support him and keep your own needs in mind.
[/quote]

Yea, great advice!!

Id say try to help him, but dont get to caught up in it yourself. If you need to, seperate yourself form that aspect of his life, if it drives you mad. I have a friend kinda like that, nad it drives me insane! >:(