The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Help me understand

I have to give this short presentation to my class about Pulp Fiction and I’ve only seen it twice so far. Could someone help me figure out the deeper stuff such as-how the movie uses connotation and metaphor, who the intended audience is, and why the story weaves back and forth in time.

Some people may give thematic reasons as to why Pulp Fiction was the way it was, but I’ve come to the conclusion that Pulp Fiction is a movie that strives for itself, not for a theme. All the akword editing and drawn out dialogue seem to serve character development and character [emotional] connections with the audience rather then with real world events. Pulp Fiction is [sort of] a Homage twards lots of french movies, and late 40’s cinema.

Another question: Does the movie take place in the present day (1994) even though it looks 1970ish. There’s a flock of seagulls reference and I thought I heard a madonna reference so is it supposed to be the 80’s?

There’s also a Honda from the late 80’s in the movie. And Lance says, “Cocane is as DEAD AS DISCO”. Now, people didn’t really say ‘disco is dead’ until the mid 80’s and disco was so dead by the early 90’s, that it was used as a phrase. It’s gotta be set durring the 90’s.

its time setting could very well be the 80s, however heroin didnt really make a comeback until the 90s. vincent’s dealer made a comment about heroin being “in” again.

[quote]There’s also a Honda from the late 80’s in the movie. And Lance says, “Cocane is as DEAD AS DISCO”. Now, people didn’t really say ‘disco is dead’ until the mid 80’s and disco was so dead by the early 90’s, that it was used as a phrase. It’s gotta be set durring the 90’s. [/quote]

i thought lance said cokes “dead as… dead” thats what i liked about that line! im sure its early 90s too, you can usually tell when qt films are set by the size of the mobiles. like kill bill 1 elle drivers mobiles pretty hefty so prob mid 90s. vincent’s cell couldnt have been a car phone in that vintage kinda car, so prob early 90s judging by his phone.

i think most of qt movies are set from when they were written like he said on the commentary for true romance that people though alabama was cool and retro when it came out in 93 when she says she likes burt reynolds and mickey rourke, but back when he wrote it they were massive stars and thats why he wrote that in! and reservoir dogs obviously followed true romance, coz of the alabama connection, so had to have been late 80s/ early 90s, so i think pulp would be early 90s set around when it came out (though coz different pieces of it were written at different times in qts life and all pieced together later that could explain why its harder to figure out when it was set)

in my opinion, it doesnt matter when the story is suposed to be taking place, because the story and characters remain the same no matter what. and the non-linear story line keeps the movie more interesting. with the opening and ending scenes taking place at just about the same point in time it makes the movie seem more like an intertwining ball. with intertwining characters and story lines.

Seriously though, what the fuck is Flock of Seagulls? What’s it mean, dammit, it’s been buggin me forever.

flock of seagulls was an 80’s band, their laed singer had a hella gay hairdo. the sing that song on the grand theft auto commercials.

and i raaaan, i ran so far awayyyy

[quote]Seriously though, what the fuck is Flock of Seagulls? What’s it mean, dammit, it’s been buggin me forever.[/quote]

the photo i posted in the below thread was the singer from flock of seagulls, u even replied to it! jules calls the kid on the sofa flock of seagulls coz hes got just as crap a haircut

http://tarantino.webds.de/cgi-bin/tarantino/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=pulp;action=display;num=1079479101

[quote]Seriously though, what the fuck is Flock of Seagulls? What’s it mean, dammit, it’s been buggin me forever.[/quote]

Remember in The Wedding Singer- “Do you like Flock of Seagulls (guy with retarded haircut)?” “No, but I can see you do.”

It took place in the 90’s. Butch is in his late 20’s and his father was in Vietnam when he was about 5.

Like someone said, when it took place wasn’t a huge issue but if you guys and gals can recall, Winston Wolf was driving an Acura NSX. These cars weren’t introduced until 1990 and didn’t really make a huge splash until 1992-1995.

My two cents. If I’m wrong I’m sorry but that’s what I got from somewhat limited research on the web.

Did Robert Rodriguez (QT’s best friend :stuck_out_tongue:) direct a scene in Pulp Fiction??

[quote=“Ify”]
Did Robert Rodriguez (QT’s best friend :stuck_out_tongue:) direct a scene in Pulp Fiction??
[/quote]

^^^Anybody??

i dont know anything about that

I dont think there’s any reference to Robert Rodriquez in the credit titles

[quote=“Ify”]
Did Robert Rodriguez (QT’s best friend :stuck_out_tongue:) direct a scene in Pulp Fiction??
[/quote]

no

[quote=“Tarantino Forum Admin”]
no
[/quote]

Are you sure? Because someone on another board said “I wonder if RR will credit QT, because QT didn’t credit RR when he directed for Pulp Fiction”

then that guy was full of shit