Help me! i need a rock guide

I need some help. Only a year ago i was a sweaty, isolative and annoying little computer geek :’(, only listening to crappy techno music and other mainstream shit. :o

Now i have made great progresss in my ‘degeekification’ process :slight_smile: (sounds geeky :-</E>). Im more social now, i exercise more, and i know a shitload about tarantino movies (compared to my friends)

I have begin listening to real music, rock mostly. My only problem is, i dont know shit about it! I want to say that im into rock n’ roll (cause i love it ;D). but i theres a lot of the most legendary bands i havent even heard about.

Could some of you people, please post some of the names i should examine closer? and if possible links to bio’s and stuff

Can you name some bands you like now? It would give me an idea of your taste and then maybe I can recommend some bands of the same style.

Pioneers of rock (just to name a few)

Kiss

AC/DC

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Doors

jimi Hendrix

the who

etc…

hair bands (again just a few)

Def Leppard

motley crue

poison

warrant

quiet riot

guns and roses

white snake

white lion

slaughter

etc…

Grundge

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Alice in chains

stone temple pilots

soundgarden

janes addiction

etc…

Newer rock

koRn

Slipknot

mudvayne

disturbed

godsmack

and so on…

California rest in peace/ Si-mul-ta-neous release. . . . . . . . . . . .

[quote]Can you name some bands you like now? It would give me an idea of your taste and then maybe I can recommend some bands of the same style.[/quote]

Sure thing!

here are some of my favorites, in totally random order:

Queen

Pink Floyd

Aerosmith

Iron Maiden

Depeche Mode (ok its not rock, but i fucking love them)

Santana

Jimi Hendrix

Guns n’ Roses

i probaly forgot a whole bunch, but i think i want pretty much anything with a guitar

Alright.

First of all, good you stepped off the techno :stuck_out_tongue: And as for bands, BadMotherFucker6 named some great bands. I would like to add Black Sabbath, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Oasis and Creedence Clearwater Revival. I’ll check my iTunes for more bands when I’m home.

CCR kicks ass

wow! thanks a lot, im listening to some of my dads creedence records right now, theyre really great

[quote=“hyperslug”]
wow! thanks a lot, im listening to some of my dads creedence records right now, theyre really great
[/quote]

Haha, dads are a great source for good music :wink:

I know Im little late but anyway… here some bands I love maybe you’ll like them…

Most these band are either rock or punk

Pink Floyd

Tom Petty

Led Zeppelin

The Ramones

Tool/A Perfect Circle

Green Day

Dead Kennedys

Motorhead

Blind Melon

Nirvana

Sonic Youth

Iggy Pop

Black Flag

Weezer

Ac/dc

The velvet underground

The who

Jimi Hendrix

Thats all I can think of at the moment

I say you should start out by trying out the most popular big rock bands of the 60s/70s: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix Experience, and The Who. Then, try out Pink Floyd, Queen, ELP (Emerson, Lake, And Palmer), King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull, and Gentle Giant. I think that everyone should start in this time period…then, work your way through the years until you get to the present.

And whoa, I just noticed how old this thread is.

[quote=“ScreamOftheButterfly”]

hair bands (again just a few)

Def Leppard

motley crue

poison

warrant

quiet riot

guns and roses

white snake

white lion

slaughter

etc…

Grundge

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Alice in chains

stone temple pilots

soundgarden

janes addiction

etc…

Newer rock

koRn

Slipknot

mudvayne

disturbed

godsmack

and so on…

[/quote]

Ugh NO NO NO NO NO. Don’t listen to this man. Fucking Slipknot? Godsmack?!?!?

me has some good suggestions. I’d suggest:

Sex Pistols

Cursive

Thee Michelle Gun Elephant

Beatles

Flower Travellin Band

Hendrix

Zeppelin

Weezer

Pretty Girls Make Graves

And whatever else your heart desires. Just don’t listen to the guy who likes Godsmack. He’s retarded.