The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Help!How to sell a screenplay?

Hi everybody.I really need help.How to sell iscreenplay?Who buy it?How much do they usually want for one and it depends on what?The point is-i dont know anything about it.

no idea…your probably better of just sticking with the movie making board for stuff like this…the people on that board will generally have a better concept of how this kinda stuff is done :wink:

The price of a script usually depends on the film’s budget. The higher the budget, the more you get paid. But I think the minimum is around $30,000. I think the highest ever paid for a script was $5 million for Shyamalan’s Signs script, but I’m not sure.

[quote=“FilmGuy”]
The price of a script usually depends on the film’s budget. The higher the budget, the more you get paid. But I think the minimum is around $30,000. I think the highest ever paid for a script was $5 million for Shyamalan’s Signs script, but I’m not sure.
[/quote]

I’m pretty sure there have been scripts sold for up to 10 million. And don’t forget if you do sell a scrpit you can also add in like 10 or 15% of what the movie makes.

[quote=“labonte18”]
I’m pretty sure there have been scripts sold for up to 10 million. And don’t forget if you do sell a scrpit you can also add in like 10 or 15% of what the movie makes.
[/quote]

Eh, that’s very circumstancial. 10 or 15% of what the movie makes? lol, you’re dreaming, I doubt the likes of Charlie Kaufman gets figures that high.

Say a movie makes 100 million dollars, and Charlie Kaufman sold the script for let’s say… 7 million. That would mean he got 22 million total for writing the script. That’s absurd. Only the 7 or 8 people total in Hollywood make that type of money per flick, and the list probably looks like this:

Tom Cruise

Julia Roberts

Jim Carey

Brad Pitt

Cameron Diaz? maybe

Jack Nicholson

Robert DeNiro

Dustin Hoffman

There’s too many books these days detailing how to sell a script. I’m positive you could find one yourslef. More information in one of those than what you will find from people on this board. And the people writing the books will know more about the topic, and will have more experience on it as well.

Good luck selling your screenplay! :wink:

Here’s a link on some basics on how to write a script that sells. Nothing in depth, because no one can really tell you what makes one sell over the other. Except idea and presentation. It’s all a crap shoot in my opinion.

http://www.screenwritermag.com/spectips.htm

[quote=“roulette67”]
Here’s a link on some basics on how to write a script that sells. Nothing in depth, because no one can really tell you what makes one sell over the other. Except idea and presentation. It’s all a crap shoot in my opinion.

http://www.screenwritermag.com/spectips.htm
[/quote]

If you need a book to be able to write a good selling screenplay then you will never sell a screenplay, you sell your screenplay by using your imagination and coming up with a good movie idea, then working hard to write it over and over and over and over until its perfect. I’ll tell you right now, you WILL see the screenplay me and a friend of mine are writing in theatres someday. And why shouldn’t Script writers get paid well? If you write a movie its your fucking ideas and all the awards and nominations the critic reviews the fans reviews are all because of ideas that came from your head and a movie that was in your mind and your mind only before anybody else. Script writers are way under rated.

[quote=“labonte18”]
If you need a book to be able to write a good selling screenplay then you will never sell a screenplay, you sell your screenplay by using your imagination and coming up with a good movie idea, then working hard to write it over and over and over and over until its perfect.
[/quote]

Personally, I agree with you. But some do not have ‘devine intervention’ or ‘muses’ when it comes to writing, and need a little direction. Sure the script may come out like a cardboard box. But with practice and rewrites, you never know what the final draft may be.

I had trouble with structure and had to read about it, the basics, the mechanics of a screenplay. Not the creative aspects, I had that shit down. Basically I had to conform to what they wanted a screenplay to read like. So I switched a few acts and presto, I had structure without compromising an inch of what I had created.

Screenwriters are HIGHLY under rated. A professor once asked me what was the one element a movie could not do without. I said, the screenwriter. The answer was the actor. I was highly pissed. My thoughts were, someone needs to tell those idiots what to say and then I remembered Improv. But Improv isn’t always good, so there. :stuck_out_tongue: