Has Tarantino Improved?

I originally put this in the chat lounge and as I didn’t get any responses I folowed the advice of a fellow poster, and decided to make a topic about it here instead.

We all know Quentin Tarantino is a great director (hopefully). But how has he improved (as a director) from his Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown days?? Does he use any new directing techniques? Does he include better camera angles? Better shots? Has he obtained better directing skills? Or do you think he hasn’t improved at all and is still the same director he was 6 years ago?

Any help would be appreciated!

[color=Orange]As far as camera movement is concerned he has definitely improved. There’s quite a few tricky long moving camera crane shots in KILL BILL that must’ve been a nightmare to choreograph between the actors, extras and the crew, especially in the early portions of the House of Blue Leaves segment.

As a Writer, I don’t think he has improved much, since I have read his screenplays up to KILL BILL. But then again, he has his own particular writing style, and it would be silly for him to change now.

I do admit that the early draft of KILL BILL that I read felt very self-indulgent, and I’m glad he toned some of that down in the film. But I also wished he filmed chapter’s like “Yuki’s Revenge”, which seemed a like a very cool sequence, along with the scene of Bill going after a female target which shows how clever and cold-blooded he really can be.

I think he has grown as a Director of Actors. I mean all of his seasoned players (and somewhat newcomers) give amazing performances in his films, since he gives them plenty of witty dialogue and characterizations to play with. But what really impressed me with Tarantino with KILL BILL was his work with the two little girls in the film (Nikki and B.B.), Nikki’s eyes said a LOT about what she thought of Beatrix. And the actress that played B.B. was so damn cute, charming and charismatic that I’m hoping she has a bright future if she chooses to hone her craft.

It is hard to work with children, especially if they are not trained actors.

But he did very well with these young ladies.

With JACKIE BROWN Tarantino proved himself as a serious filmmaker capable of doing something that dealt with more mature adult themes.

And I’m hoping with INGLORIOUS BASTARDS he’ll up the ante on all levels - writing, directing, camera placement, set pieces, and set design. And I’m curious if he’ll use a real film score this time around, since this is a WWII era film.

8)

i think tarantino has grown as a director.

while some parts of reservoir dogs were just amazing, others were merely ok. basically every scene in the warehouse is amazing but some of the backstory of some characters was not necessary.

now though it seems that tarantino has been able to make an enjoyable film from beginning to end. he has also proven that he can make slapstick comedy (vol. 1) and very serious drama (vol. 2). he is widening his talent in the directing film and i think it is working.

not to mention he has toned his ego down a bit.

[quote]not to mention he has toned his ego down a bit.[/quote]
[color=Orange]That’s a definite plus!!!

Now only if M. Night Shyamalan would do the same, maybe he can start making a better movie. No offense to any of his fans, but I think that dude is extremely pompous with his ego/attitude and overrated as a writer/director.

8)

[quote]

Now only if M. Night Shyamalan would do the same, maybe he can start making a better movie. No offense to any of his fans, but I think that dude is extremely pompous with his ego/attitude and overrated as a writer/director.

8)[/quote]

hes only done 4 films not every writer/director can be QT

He’s widened his horizon, which is always a good thing imo

KB is the best QT movie imo

Not that thats saying much

If you’re gonna compare a Tarantino movie, you compare it to every movie ever made – wasn’t made by Quentin Tarantino. :wink:

now that tarantino commands a larger budget, hes obviously gonna be able to do more as a director. the special effects, the camera angles, the editing are all improve as he makes the studios more and more cash. look at reservoir dogs. that movie was 90% dialogue. actually, all his movies were 90% dialogue until kill bill vol.I. hes got the flexibility now to incorporate more effects. i can’t fucking wait for his next movie. with the amount of money the kill bills made, his next movie should be amazing.

I have to disagree with you there. I don’t think the more money he has, the better movie he will make. However, I do think he will improve as a director as time goes by but I don’t think it has anything to do with money.

It doesnt improve him as a director. but it does give him the oppertunity to work longer on his projects, hire more people, being able to hire top actors/actresses etc.

More money often means a project can be better executed, often leading to a better result.

But indeed its got nothing to do with the skill of a director.

I totally agree. Money has nothing to do with how good his movies are. If money determined the quality of his films then he wouldn’t be worthy of a website dedicated to him.

[quote=“Goatfish”]
[color=Orange]As far as camera movement is concerned he has definitely improved. There’s quite a few tricky long moving camera crane shots in KILL BILL that must’ve been a nightmare to choreograph between the actors, extras and the crew, especially in the early portions of the House of Blue Leaves segment.

As a Writer, I don’t think he has improved much, since I have read his screenplays up to KILL BILL. But then again, he has his own particular writing style, and it would be silly for him to change now.

I do admit that the early draft of KILL BILL that I read felt very self-indulgent, and I’m glad he toned some of that down in the film. But I also wished he filmed chapter’s like “Yuki’s Revenge”, which seemed a like a very cool sequence, along with the scene of Bill going after a female target which shows how clever and cold-blooded he really can be.

I think he has grown as a Director of Actors. I mean all of his seasoned players (and somewhat newcomers) give amazing performances in his films, since he gives them plenty of witty dialogue and characterizations to play with. But what really impressed me with Tarantino with KILL BILL was his work with the two little girls in the film (Nikki and B.B.), Nikki’s eyes said a LOT about what she thought of Beatrix. And the actress that played B.B. was so damn cute, charming and charismatic that I’m hoping she has a bright future if she chooses to hone her craft.

It is hard to work with children, especially if they are not trained actors.

But he did very well with these young ladies.

With JACKIE BROWN Tarantino proved himself as a serious filmmaker capable of doing something that dealt with more mature adult themes.

And I’m hoping with INGLORIOUS BASTARDS he’ll up the ante on all levels - writing, directing, camera placement, set pieces, and set design. And I’m curious if he’ll use a real film score this time around, since this is a WWII era film.

8)
[/quote]

Where can i find and read the "Yuki's Revenge" Scene you were talking about?I would also like to read the scene u were talking about bil going after a female target.If u have a link or could tell me where i can find thati would appriciate it. ;)

[quote=“Donnie_Darko”]Where can i find and read the “Yuki’s Revenge” Scene you were talking about?I would also like to read the scene u were talking about bil going after a female target.If u have a link or could tell me where i can find thati would appriciate it. :wink:[/quote]

The links I got the early draft from seem to be dead. But I have the script saved in Final Draft. So give me a couple of days, and I’ll PM you with a link to view it. Or better yet, PM me your email address, and I’ll send you a Text version of the scenes/sequences in question.

8)

You want to read the early draft of KB?

It is on this Tatrantino board:

http://www.tarantino.info/screenplays.htm

[quote=“CPS”]
You want to read the early draft of KB?

It is on this Tatrantino board:

http://www.tarantino.info/screenplays.htm
[/quote]

Better yet, Donnie_Darko! Click on her link. :wink:

8)

Thanks alot you guys! I heard that qt might make "Yuki’s Revenge " a short anime for the Ultimate edition!Does anybody know if this is true?

[quote=“Goatfish”]
[quote]not to mention he has toned his ego down a bit.[/quote]

8)
[/quote]the only good movie M.Night Shyamalan have done is signs. :wink: the new movie the village sucked! ;D

I disagree i think all of shyamalans movies are entertaining at the least… they make ya think :wink:

I think Tarantino’s casting decisions just keep getting better and better.

he isnt after the best actors he’s after the right ones.

Here is a beef I have.

Michael Madsen said Quentin is stil the same person but he has bigger toys to play with now etc, but I prefer his B-movie type films like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction to the ritzy glitzy Kill Bill Volumes.

Anyone agree?

[quote=“Fatale”]
Here is a beef I have.

Michael Madsen said Quentin is stil the same person but he has bigger toys to play with now etc, but I prefer his B-movie type films like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction to the ritzy glitzy Kill Bill Volumes.

Anyone agree?
[/quote]

Well although I loved Pulp Fiction (its my favourite film ever!) and Reservoir Dogs, I also loved Kill Bill. I could watch Kill Bill over and over again, I’ve probably seen it like 200 times or something, whereas I can’t do that with his first 2 films. The reason is, that he has so much going on in the “ritzy glitzy” Kill Bill. There is just such a variation in vision there it’s just extraordinary, which he couldn’t have achieved if he had a low budget. Volume 2 is less “ritzy glitzy” and is not as visually exciting as Volume 1. Volume 1 was full of these kind of ‘different’ things. Whereas, in RD and PF, because there wasn’t a lot of budget, the sets were kinda dull and not much was happening on screen, as the focus was more on dialogue. Many people would argue that the directing in PF and RD was nothing compared to that of KB. With Kill Bill, each time you see it, you discover something new, and there is just so much to see, unlike his first 2 films. However Pulp Fiction is my all-time fav film so, it kinda balances out.

To conclude, I would say it doesn’t matter to me how much money QT has at his disposal. Either way, he is going to make films that I enjoy (hopefully) and so it doesn’t really matter to me. He had enough money for Volume 2 yet he went for the ‘old’ look. So I think he still prefers that b-movie feel to his films, but even then, Volume 1 being all “ritzy glitzy” is still an unbelievable film and in my opion better than RD and JB. Making a film like this doesn’t really change anything except it is more pleasing to the eye.