Grindhouse Speculation

Grindhouse Speculation

Elsewhere, Pete said that Tarantino mentioned that the touchstone for Death Proof is Vanishing Point.

It is known that both films share a plot element/device.

We know that the Radio DJ plays a significant role in both films: SuperSoul in VP and Jungle Julia in DP.

In VP the DJ feeds information over the radio to the driver so he can elude/evade the police.

But what role will the Radio DJ play in DP?

Here are some of my ideas:

It is possible that DP offers one thing that the earlier '70s movie couldn’t provide: two-way communication between driver and DJ – eg. a mobile phone.

[It’s possible that the driver (Barry Newman) could have had a CB radio, but I don’t believe he did… haven’t seen the movie yet.]

I think that Stuntman/Mad Man Mike will be listening to Jungle Julia on the car radio and when he kidnaps the girl (Jungle Julia’s friend), he takes her cell phone and calls up the radio station to taunt the DJ.

I think that Mike and the DJ will play a game of cat and mouse, with Mike taunting the DJ and the DJ goading Mike into giving up some information as to his location, or other clues that may lead to his whereabouts.

It’s possible that Jungle Julia will even try to enlist over the radio other listeners in cars to track Mike down.

What does anybody else think of these ideas? Plausible? Likely? Anybody that has read the script wish to comment? Is it in there, or will QT possibly add it to his shooting draft?

[quote=“jeffkantoku”]

It is possible that DP offers one thing that the earlier '70s movie couldn’t provide: two-way communication between driver and DJ – eg. a mobile phone.

[/quote]
Yeah If there Is a phone In there, Im sure It wont work since he’s In the country you know what Im saying?

[quote=“me”]
Yeah If there Is a phone In there, Im sure It wont work since he’s In the country you know what Im saying?
[/quote]

Are you saying there’s no cell phone coverage in Austin? It’s the capital of Texas!

Im just saying some places dont pick up well, but I never know all I know whatever Quentin will do will fit thats all I can be sure of :slight_smile:

[quote=“me”]
Im just saying some places dont pick up well, but I never know all I know whatever Quentin will do will fit thats all I can be sure of :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Yeah, you’re probably right about QT doing whatever fits the story… :smiley:

I just remember that QT had Sophie Fatale either answer (or make a call on… can’t remember) her cell phone in the wedding chapel out on the outskirts of El Paso, Texas… so you never know…

I try not to specualte too much and let it be a surprise, didnt even read all of that thread now.

and I also don’t want to check out movies that are referenced or someway connected to it

"I think you will enjoy Kill Bill more if don’t know any of these films (that influenced it)" (QT quote) Same applies for Grindhouse, I wanna experience something new,

!!POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!

I heard that in the film, someones cellphone ring is the theme from Twisted Nerve. It might even be Stuntman Mikes. 8)

Jeff, those are some really good ideas on the film. I havent read the script but Ive heard QT talk about the Vanishing Point connection to the plotline and the thing about the cellphone makes alot of sense. Id say you’re right about Jungle Julia. Instead of being a long distance pal like Super Soul was, she’ll be Mike’s enemy. Like an inversion on the VP characters. Very cool idea too. But hey, thats QT.

I really dont want to figure it all out before the film, I want to save some surprise for when I see it. :slight_smile:

Guys are making cool predictions. It’s just making me want to see it even more.

Wasn’t sure where else to post this, if nec. mods move it to where it should be.

I don’t know if this is “old news” or not but according to a member of Joblo.com’s message board who works within the film biz (A VERY reliable source):

The powers that be are aiming for late July or early August re. the release of Grindhouse on DVD. That release will most likely be “bare bones” given the track record of the company that releases all of Weinsteins’ stuff. But at the same time (so to speak) that “bare bones” release’ll be offered in both a R rated version and a UNRATED version. Re. a so called “Director’s Cut” of Grindhouse on DVD, look for a DIRECTOR’S CUT of KILL BILL first. Also, the powers that be are putting together a FROM DUSK TILL DAWN COLLECTOR’S SET. Therefore…

That would be cool but I think your source might be full of bullshit. I guess i’ll wait and find out if im full bullshit :wink:

lol guys read the script…

but yeah jungle julia is of importance… and damn sexy legs. can’t wait to see her tomorrow. i am writing this from the hotel suite