Grind House shot digital - discussion

[quote=“The Seb”]
typical cases of new technology paranoia i read in here…

“oh no, we don’t need CDs, we have vinyl!”

“oh no, who needs cars when we have horses!”

"oh no, who needs the internet, if i can send my friend a letter?"

go on complain, the technology will mature and in a couple of years you’ll all be using it and nobody’s gonna shed a tear about celluloid.

that’s progress people, wether you like it or not
[/quote]

another example “oh no, who needs mp3 players, when we already have cds” Mp3 players are taking over quite quickly over here. >:D

In 2007, I am going to film school for directing and editing…and i am excited to take extra classes for cinematography…which I’m probably obviously going to be using digital video cameras…but I’m still going to want to experience celluloid…becasue it’s what has been used for over a century…and now we’re switching over :-</E>. I’m happy about the digital gereration, but I’ll be a little bummed if I don’t get to experience what 10’s of thousands of filmmakers have used for all of cinema history. Anyone else going to filmschool soon who feels the same way?

Film school? Haven’t you seen any of the ten minute movie making stuff from Robert Rodriguez? It’s in all his DVDs. You don’t need it. That was then, this is now, especially since we’re in the digital age and all you need is a computer and a camcorder to do it. That’s my advice for you. A tid bit: I made home action movies with a camera any camera and they turned out cool. Look, you put sound coming out of a plastic UZI and with some slick editing you got a movie. I made like ten or twelve of them, Rodriguez made hundreds. I did this just out of high school and he shits you not, there is alot to learn. How do I put it? You got to find a vision and that ain’t free, like where the fuck do I put this camera, that’s the big one. Why am I shooting this scene? Make it better by doing this or that and sticking this in there like that from this angle. The shit just keeps layering and you learn. Just be warned that whatever these guys did however they did it, they’re real good, real real real good at it. The upside is that you’ll find out about movies like your saying from the old school, but shit I don’t know man If I were you I’d grab a camera or buy the Panasonic24p AG-DVX100 instead. Of course you will be getting into a whole nother slew of shit within the digital arena though. That’s why Rodriguez is like “be technical” because now the advent of technology lays it right into your hands, your the boss. I agree with you maybe in the seventies, but not now.

Don’t mock vinyl Seb I’m starting a collection the shits still cool! But have at tape! Fuck tape! And I honestly don’t see myself using this mp3 jazz, I’m just not bitting.

"Who needs cinemas when I can now see a new movie on my mobile phone?"

Yeah, right.

Ha ha ha! LMFAO Scarface Now that’s fucking funny!!!

Okay, off topic. The reason why vinyl sounds better than CDs is the fact that, in very simple terms, digital sound, while gives broader dynamic range, sonics, and stereo seperation, the music is broken up in little lines ---------- as apposed to vinyl which is one unbroken groove for an entire side which the needle anolouges to, and gives more warmth and clarity. mp3’s however are a source of pure evil. they take any good point out of digital sound. they are compressed (like Dolby Digital, DTS), not lossless (like cds and other lossless PCM formats like DVD-Audio). and sound way more harsh and tinny. now we have things like SACD’s and DVD-Audio discs which are even less compressed and give you very close to pure anolouge clarity. (not talking about cassetes here). the sound quality reporduced on some sacds and dvd-a’s Ive heard sound like Master quality (which often are since they can be reporduced at the same bit/sampling rate that they recorded in.)

the only argument to be made really is wheather or not you are listining through a good system. (reciever, speakers, ect.) which in the end, decent equipment is much more affordable than most think, you dont have to go crazy spending thousands or hundreds even on shit. you dont need 500 $/ft. speaker wire. but youre not going to be able to hear the difference through a boom-box…

also, everybody on imdb keeps saying that QT is now shooting his half in 35mm.

QT is shooting on film but Robert shot his in digital.

If youve seen the Planet Terror trailer you can see that not only did RR use digital, he used CGI FX (check the highway truck Sicko splattering sequence and the over the top Machete bike jump). The only thing thats wrong with that is its not very Grindhouse in the purest sense. All I can figure is that Robert is doing now, what low budget filmmakers wouldve done back in the old days if they had access to the cheaper digital technology and CGI for their films. But who knows, maybe he just wants to see a Grindhouse film with CGI in it.

Digital filmmaking is the future of cinema. I guarantee you that in five or ten years digital filmmaking will advance so much that nobody will ever want to shoot on film again. A simple click of a button will allow you to emulate the film look to the point where even the most hard core film fans won’t be able to tell (or notice) the difference.

Right now you CAN tell the difference between film and digital. The differences are very subtle but they are there. In five or ten years there will be no difference.

[quote=“Pioneer”]
Digital filmmaking is the future of cinema. I guarantee you that in five or ten years digital filmmaking will advance so much that nobody will ever want to shoot on film again. A simple click of a button will allow you to emulate the film look to the point where even the most hard core film fans won’t be able to tell (or notice) the difference.

Right now you CAN tell the difference between film and digital. The differences are very subtle but they are there. In five or ten years there will be no difference.
[/quote]

I agree. Film is great but digital cinema is starting to come on strong…

Hey, Pioneer have you heard of the upcoming digital cinema camera Red?

Peter Jackson, James Cameron and others have put in multiple orders… I wonder if Rodriguez has as well…?

costs about $ 17,500 and can capture 4K footage…

http://red.com/

More info and commensts by the development crew here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=58

I can’t afford one now, but I’d love to get my hands on one! :smiley:

[quote=“Pioneer”]
Digital filmmaking is the future of cinema. I guarantee you that in five or ten years digital filmmaking will advance so much that nobody will ever want to shoot on film again. A s imple click of a button will allow you to emulate the film look to the point where even the most hard core film fans won’t be able to tell (or notice) the difference.

[/quote]

If you go back to the beginning of this topic you can see we’ve already been through that entire discussion. I

I for one hate video, except for in sin city, in whitch it was used well. Rodriguez is my second favorite director, but i could never watch Once Upon A Time in Mexico and take it seriously as a movie because of the video look of it. Film is better and i doubt QT will ever switch over.

[quote=“Jjp”]
I for one hate video, except for in sin city, in whitch it was used well. Rodriguez is my second favorite director, but i could never watch Once Upon A Time in Mexico and take it seriously as a movie because of the video look of it. Film is better and i doubt QT will ever switch over.
[/quote]

Not video…Digital.

I personally am a very nostalgic person. So film to me evokes a lot of cool memories and such. But I don’t feel threatened by digital. Digital is changing cinema, but it won’t replace celluloid. It is just a different kind of filmmaking to me, one that is just as effective as celluloid.