Film Era: 1931 - 1960

[quote=“Bad Max”]
I’m really into James Cagney, no one matches his powerful acting in terms of body language, I think. Humphrey Bogart is a close one…

Laydback, could you recommend me some movies?
[/quote]

Seen Public Enemy yet? Without a doubt, my most favorite performance and film by Cagney.

Bogart-Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Got robbed of an Oscar nom)

Bogie also spent the majority of his early career playing baddie henchmen, but his biggest breakout was in Petrified Forest which is a fantastic film overall.

I haven’t seen Public Enemy yet, but I’ve seen Petrified and I have Treasure on dvd :stuck_out_tongue:

Before I show my list I just want to say that most movies made in this era are heavy in story and character unlike most films that are coming out today which are saturated with flat one-dimensional characters and heavy on CGI, I haven’t been in a movie theatre in quite some time for these reasons. But of course there are a few exceptions like 3:10 To Yuma and the new Paul Haggis movie “In The Valley of Elah”. Oh, I like Sin City and all but that movie has started a shit load of graphic novel adaptations, it’s really starting to annoy me, they all look the same for fuck sake! Okay that’s enough anger on my part here’s my top ten list:

1)Casablanca

2)For Whom The Bell Tolls (Bergman plays Maria - great performance!)

3)The Maltese Falcon

4)The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre

5)The Grapes Of Wrath

6)Somebody Up There Likes Me (I saw this on TCM and my god is this boxing film great! I liked it better than Raging Bull it’s really a great film guys, you should check it out! Paul Newman is the man)

7)White Heat (gotta love Cagney)

8)On The Waterfront

9)The Searchers

10)Lifeboat (It’s a little narrowminded but still a great film by Hitchcock)

I’m not going to settle anymore for the awful nonsense that is playing in theatres today like Saw 4 and all those graphic novel adaptations, not when there are so many great films out there.

I just watched Detour yesterday. I love that one. Treasure of the Sierra Madre is on my Top 10 List of All Time Favorites. Its a perfect film to me. Ive watched it so many times.

m

rashomon

seven samurai

the big sleep

the killing

rififi

vertigo

psycho

wages of fear

band of outsiders

paths of glory

casablanca

the great dictator

I really wanna see DETOUR! it looks so cool! I’ve wanted to see it since I saw Scorsese american film documentary.

Its a really old B&W low budget film but its just an awesome little noir. If you can watch TCM its on there every once in awhile.

Heres some other favorites from the 30s-1960:

Public Enemy

White Heat

Cat People

Citizen Kane

Touch of Evil

Bringing Up Baby

Dark Passage

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

Sunset Blvd

Seven Men from Now

Edge of the City

Night of the Hunter

At The Circus

Duck Soup

Grapes of Wrath

Of Mice and Men

Animal Crackers

Written on The Wind

Jailhouse Rock

Stalag 17

Rear Window

The Red Shoes

Rio Bravo

The Blob

He Ran All the Way

Magnificent Obesssion

The Seven Samurai

Rashomon

The Day The Earth Stood Still

Frankenstein

Kiss Me Deadly

East of Eden

La Strada

Breathless

Lust For Life

Does anyone know if there’s an Ingrid Bergman DVD box set available? I’ve been searching for a while but no dice!

Here are some of my favorite movies, I’ve seen a few, bu there’s probably a few dozen that I haven’t seen:

These are the movies I’ve seen, badass posters. Most video stores don’t have her movies so, it’s kind of hard to look for her movies.

Ingrid the great swede. Proud to be from the same country as her, God bless ya! :stuck_out_tongue:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://dvddestiny.com/product/599856/B0 … n_Criteri/”>http://dvddestiny.com/product/599856/B0000A02TX/A_Film_Trilogy_by_Ingmar_Bergman_Criteri/</LINK_TEXT>

just a trilogy

$52.99, holy crackers!!!

Wow, too bad they’re not on NetFlix or blockbuster or hollywood video! I’ll consider it though…