The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Fight Club - The novel

Yeah i love the movie and i just bought the book and im thinking about getting choke i heard ot was good. And by the way whats wrong with harry potter those are damn good books

Chuck Palahniuk is the man. He was on Conan O’Brien when QT was, then drank from his cup since Quentin said he had mono, it was classic. If you ever get a chance go to one of his readings, go. They’re always insane.

:slight_smile: ive got a first edition fight club hard cover

[quote]If the man just likes plain entertainment then he should go off and worship Bruckhiemer who is about as plain as it gets(except for Black Hawk Down which i love and Pirates Of The Caribbean)

I guess if ToothPicVega just wants plain entertainment then Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese, Spike Lee, or Edward Zick movies are way the hell out of his leauge if he can not comprehend FIGHT CLUB

ive thrown down the gambit at you Tooth Pic Vega[/quote]

That isn’t what puck ment. Puck ment that movies are ment to entertain you, if you don’t like the idea behind the movie, weather you like other origional movies or not, then you most likley wont’ like the movie because it didn’t entertain you. I love Fight Club but if someone “gets it” but dosen’t like the way it approaches him or the way it plays out it’s message then they wont’ like the movie.

Art isn’t ment to be liked by every parton of the arts, that is what mainstreem movies are ment for. If someone as movie savvy as toothpick dosen’t like something like Fight Club it’s most likely for a good reason.

I liked CHOKE & SURVIVOR and FIGHT CLUB

I am in the middle of DIARY (it’s not as good as the first three he had - I never read Invisible Monster)

Anyhow - he is a good writer

I wonder if QT has read any Chuck. I know that he LOVED the Fight Club movie, in Rolling Stone, he said it was one of the best movies he has seen in a long time, and the more he thinks about it, the more he likes it, and it also has some of the best dialouge he has heared.

[quote=“WinslowLeach”]
No, I knew it wasnt just about fighting, but it did what movies should never do. It PREACHED to the audience. Movies are about stories, not about conveying a big message to the viewer.

Thats exactly why out of Finchers movies, Fight Club is the worst. His best being Se7en. Se7en starts a story and it stays with it to the end. None of that pretentious psychobabble bullshit Shit Club has. I hate that shit.

[/quote]

I pretty much agree with that, though I found the film to be fairly entertaining even though it was nowhere near as great as everyone made it out to be. Unfortunately, most Hollywood films do preach to the audience because the director assumes the audience is too dumb to understand what message he is trying to convey, when in reality it’s the director who doesn’t know what the word “subtle” means and jams everything down your throat.

That’s why I like foreign films, where there isn’t always a clear-cut message, just “themes.” And those themes come off more powerful than in Hollywood films because those films allow you to think for yourself and decide what the purpose of the film was.

I loved Fight Club so I’ll see if I can find the book somewhere. Actually I’ve seen all Finchers movies except Se7en and I liked all of them. Gotta see Se7en too.

Exactly how short is the book?

208 pages. Fun stuff if you like fight club though :slight_smile:

[quote=“Seth_Gecko (TAFKATIG)”]
208 pages. Fun stuff if you like fight club though :slight_smile:
[/quote]
i just found it. I hope i can find it cheaper tho… or wait, 74 aint that much, i paid 110 for a scanner darkly…

Have you read it? (i know you have it since i saw it in the “what book did you just buy”-thread)

I read this online once, I thought it actually had less happening in it factually than the movie but there was a lot more background. Chuck Palahniuk (and by the way, all of you who just wrote “Chuck” are a bunch of illiterate pussies who can’t spell his last name) on the other hand is spotty though. I liked Survivor a lot but I hated the parts where he goes on about all of those little technical facts that no one could concievably care about and have nothing to do with the story, like all the information about fake flowers. I just read Diary about a week ago, and honestly I hated it enough to never read anything by Chuck Palahniuk again. It was just the most absolute convoluted pretentious shit anyone has ever foisted upon the world and nothing in it made a fucking lick of sense. I am worse for ever having read it. I also heard that Haunted was pretty bad, the plot sounds like an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?. The excerpt from Choke I read was pretty good though and Invisible Monsters sounds interesting, so I guess we can split the difference and say that Palahniuk’s work has jumped the shark but he was formerly great.

[quote=“RazorCharlie”]
…so I guess we can split the difference and say that Palahniuk’s work has jumped the shark but he was formerly great.
[/quote]

I’ve read all of his fiction from Fight Club to Haunted, and I think he still is great and will continue to be great as he continues to write. And c’mon…Diary wasn’t that bad…

I am doing an essay on the novel and the movie at the moment. Pretty cool to connect it with some philosophy and cultural related subjects :slight_smile: My professor actually knew the book and movie and quoted some lines…haha! Coolest guy ever :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“thecrazy88”]
i just found it. I hope i can find it cheaper tho… or wait, 74 aint that much, i paid 110 for a scanner darkly…

Have you read it? (i know you have it since i saw it in the “what book did you just buy”-thread)
[/quote]

It rocks. The film pretty much captured the style and tone of the book perfectly. So if you like the film then you will definitely like the novel.

As a book lover, I am getting wet thinking about Chuck Palahniuk and the worship he is getting on this thread.

MUST check him out ASAP

Ironically, I just read “Butch Cassidy and the Sundace Kid” by William Goldman. I got it a while ago though. I loved the film so much as a kid, still do, and I’ve just now read it in screenplay form. So perfect. :love: