The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Fight Club - The novel

I have seen the movie eighteen billion times, though I haven’t read the novel.  I heard that the ending in the novel is ten times better than that in the movie. ÂÂ

• SPOILER *

I heard in the novel when Tyler Durdan shoots himself, he actually dies.  Personally,  I love those type of pessimistic endings.

Oh shit, D man. Your Fight Club loving experience won’t be complete without reading the novel. I wouldn’t say that the novel is better than the movie, or vice-versa, but they’re definitely compliments of eachother. This book is incredible dark and funny. This book is actually laugh out loud funny. It’s that good. And all your favorite scenes and lines from the movie are all in the book, except it’s brought into so much more detail. You’ll love it, pick it up asap. There’s also some interesting differences between the movie and the book.

Ah thanks man, that’s it you convinced me, I’m picking it up tomorrow.

The movie kicks ass, and the book kicks ass, I believe in seperate but equal ways. But for anyone who likes the movie fight club, you must read other Chuck Palahnuik. Palahnuik, I believe is going to be studied in Lit. classes 40 or 50 years from now. he’s amazing. The first book of his that I read, and in my opinion best is his second entitled Invisible Monsters.

Also for those of you who know anything about Palahnuik, I heard that most of his other books are being developed into movies. Does anyone know anything about this?

Insted of making all these topics on Chuck Palahniuk novels, whey doesn’t somebody just make a Chuck thread?

Chuck is my favorite author, he got me (back) into reading, after school turned me off to it, and he is a fucking genius. I have read all his shit, and nothing is even remotely dissapointing.

what have you heard about diary? his new one

i read choke and it was great, gonna get survivor next

I have the Fight Club novel, but I haven’t read it yet.

One question to those who have:

This paperback seems exremely short, considering the lenght of the movie. I mean, the book really is short as a motherfucker… did I buy an abridged version or is it on purpose?

Diary was really good. Fight Club is really short, but it also covers SO much more than the movie did, and is VERY different, I read it in 2 days, but its a damn good read, as is all his novels. Check out the official web site, its really cool, and has tons of info. (www.chuckpalahniuk.net)

You said it’s very short, but covers a lot more than the movie? How long is the book?

I hated Fight Club. I think its one of the most convoluted pretentious pieces of crap Ive ever seen. Its one of those movies that pissed me off ALOT because everyone said how great it was. I watched it and wanted to throw the thing in the trash after it was over.

I wouldnt even bother to read the book.

Yes you’re right, it is very pretentious, however it is still a great movie. A lot of good movies are pretentious. Fight Club was well acted, well directed, the dialogue was great, it was an outstanding film.

Yes, oddly enough, the book covers much more than the movie, and in much more detail. It’s hard to think that because the book is so tiny, but it’s not like Harry Potter or anything. Palahniuk just writes differently and in fast pace, just like the movie is. The reason why it’s so short is because Chuck doesn’t take up three pages describing something with metaphors and whatnot, he just gets to the point.

[quote]I hated Fight Club. I think its one of the most convoluted pretentious pieces of crap Ive ever seen. Its one of those movies that pissed me off ALOT because everyone said how great it was. I watched it and wanted to throw the thing in the trash after it was over.

I wouldnt even bother to read the book. [/quote]

You thought it was going to be about fighting didn't you? ;)

[quote] You thought it was going to be about fighting didn’t you?  :wink:[/quote]

No, I knew it wasnt just about fighting, but it did what movies should never do. It PREACHED to the audience. Movies are about stories, not about conveying a big message to the viewer.

Thats exactly why out of Finchers movies, Fight Club is the worst. His best being Se7en. Se7en starts a story and it stays with it to the end. None of that pretentious psychobabble bullshit Shit Club has. I hate that shit.

ToothPicVega maybe you did not GET Fight Club hmmm maybe Harry Potter is your cup of tea !!! >:(

Chuck Palahniuk is like my 2nd fav writer(Tom Clancy is #1)

i have read by him:

Fight Club

Survivor

Lullaby

havnt gotten around to Choke or Diary yet

I can’t imagine “Fight Club” being worse than “Alien 3” man. Anyway, I don’t really have a problem with movies that preach. “The Deer Hunter” preached. “American History X” preached. “Requiem for a dream” preached. “Apocalypse Now” preached in a sort of way. Yet I love all of them.

American History X is great :slight_smile:

Toothpick, I am really disappointed in you. Fight Club is one of the greatest movies of the 90s. Not because of it’s special effects or because of Brad Pitt nor because of its subliminal messages, but of the way it tells a great and bizarre story.

you simply CAN NOT get Fight Club after just 1-3 viewings. Watch it 10 times and each time you discover something new. It’s a movie so full of ideas and detail.

if you don’t get fight club, well… watch Harry Potter :wink:

Lay off toothpick, guys. I think I know where he’s coming from. Its not that he didn’t GET it, its just that he likes plain entertainment. Movies are a form of escapism, and I can definitely see how a movie with a cynical, nihilistic/political message such as Fight Club can be a real downer to a lot of escapists just trying to be entertained for two hours.

I love Chuck Palahniuk’s dark, satirical humor as well as Edward Norton’s dry, sarcastic delivery of Chuck’s original lines, though, so Fight Club is definitely one of my favorite movies of all time.

If the man just likes plain entertainment then he should go off and worship Bruckhiemer who is about as plain as it gets(except for Black Hawk Down which i love and Pirates Of The Caribbean)

I guess if ToothPicVega just wants plain entertainment then Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese, Spike Lee, or Edward Zick movies are way the hell out of his leauge if he can not comprehend FIGHT CLUB

ive thrown down the gambit at you Tooth Pic Vega