• Dolores Claiborne
  • The Dead Zone (David Cronenberg)
  • It
  • Christine
  • Pet Sematary
  • The Green Mile
  • Other

0 voters

What’s your favourite Stephen King adaptation?

The most obvious choices would be The Shining and Carrie, but for me it’s Stand By Me. It isn’t typical King, but it’s one of those films that everybody can relate to.

EDIT: Added a poll of the films that I think are the most acclaimed and an option for Other if you can’t find your favourite on there.

I love almost all of them actually, but I went with Carrie as my favorite.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
I love almost all of them actually, but I went with Carrie as my favorite.
[/quote]

It got me thinking. So many great directors have tackled King. And all the films are different and great in their own way. De Palma, Kubrick, Reiner, Carpenter, Cronenberg, all masters…

Carrie is definitely one of my favourites. I have to say that I didn’t really get it the first time I watched it. I thought it was okay, but couldn’t figure out why everyone thought it was so great. It took a while to sink in and then I watched it again and loved it.

Carrie is pure cinema, another reason I love it. Misery is my second favorite. I LOVE that movie too. Its perfect.

Shawshank definitely gets my number one vote. The acting is great and the story is awesome. Alot of people say its not rewatchable, but I have no problem with it. And I honestly am not a big fan of The Shining. Maybe its because I read the book first.

Top 3

Shawshank Redemption

Stand By Me

Maximum Overdrive

I think most of it is crap. I like “The Green Mile” or “Stand By Me” and “Misery” but the rest you can forget if you have read the books first.“Shining” is so horrible I really can´t stand that, even though I love Jack Nicholson.

By the way, “Pet Semetary” was quite well.

Christine!

I love Carrie and The Dead Zone a lot too.

Dolores but I like Stand by me and The Green Mile very much, too.

Salem’s Lot.

[quote=“Angel”]
It got me thinking. So many great directors have tackled King. And all the films are different and great in their own way. De Palma, Kubrick, Reiner, Carpenter, Cronenberg, all masters…

[/quote]

then again there have been a shit load of shitty directors that have tackled his movies also.

[quote=“Jjp”]
then again there have been a shit load of shitty directors that have tackled his movies also.
[/quote]

yeah, let’s just forget about them… :wink:

Im having a really hard time deciding if i like Carrie or The Shining more to vote… there so different…

In Carrie did anyone else find Margaret White’s death to be very very strange…

Carrie, The Shining, Misery.

I don’t like Shawshank Redemption but I do like the short story/novella.

Shawshank Redemption

Misery(my favorite)

The Running man(liked the book more)

I liked Misery a lot, but I have to say that the Shining is probably one of my top 25 favorite movies. Oddly enough, Stephen King hated it.

My favorites, in this order:

Stand By Me

Carrie

The Shining

It

The Shawshank Redemption

Christine

Misery

The Green Mile

Cujo

I want to see The Dead Zone sometime soon, along with Cujo and Christine.

Mine in order

(NOTE: IT wasnt a theatrical film)

Carrie

Misery

Shawshank

Stand By Me

Christine

Dead Zone

Silver Bullet

The Running Man

Dolores Claiborne

Pet Sematary

The Green Mile

Cujo

Children of the Corn

Maximum Overdrive

Graveyard Shift

The Shining

Other films that werent listed: Firestarter, 1408, Thinner, Sleepwalkers.

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
I liked Misery a lot, but I have to say that the Shining is probably one of my top 25 favorite movies. Oddly enough, Stephen King hated it.
[/quote]

Actually, it isn’t really that odd. Haven’t read the novel myself, but I’m pretty sure that Kubrick changed it quite a bit.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
(NOTE: IT wasnt a theatrical film)
[/quote]

I know. But it gets talked about quite a bit so I figured it’s probably going to make itself into people’s lists anyway.

[quote=“Angel”]
Actually, it isn’t really that odd. Haven’t read the novel myself, but I’m pretty sure that Kubrick changed it quite a bit.

[/quote]

I actually read half of The Shinning and from what I remember there were a few small changes nothing major.

Misery is definitely the perfect book to read then watch the movie ;D

Correct me if i’m wrong but Maximum Overdrive was never published as a book so it really cant be an adaptation.