The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Does this happen to anyone else?

Your writing a script your 20-30 pages In to It. Than you have another Idea for another script so you totally abandoned the script your writing and start writing on the new one your thinking of. Does this happen to anyone else?

Too many times to count sir.

More often I stop writing cause I get stuck or lose my motivation. Right now

I’m about 45 pages into a script and I’m starting to realize I don’t have enough

story to stretch it to full length.

Not just scripts, this happens with all you write. I’m sick of it. That’s the ultimate exercise of keeping motivation and confidence. Most people give up because they haven’t written a masterpiece in a week’s time. Well, a lot of best works are made in years, if you keep switching all the time, you’re never going to finish anything, forget writing and go study law or medicine. Or business.

This section is full of “my new idea, what do you think?” topics where you find the very beginning of a script which NEVER gets finished and sinks to the bottom of the archive. Lost cases. I never show unfinished works to anyone, it makes the urge to finish even bigger and assures you that if you don’t manage, you can always delete them and nobody thinks of you as the loser who could never write anything longer than three pages.

i have a problem that i can only get a few good ideas before ive tapped the story and it becomes boring or i try to put too much into it and it becomes utterly ridiculous!

I’ve quit a few times. But in total, I have finished 4 film scripts.

And a shit load of short stuff.

[quote=“Bleach”]
Not just scripts, this happens with all you write. I’m sick of it. That’s the ultimate exercise of keeping motivation and confidence. Most people give up because they haven’t written a masterpiece in a week’s time. Well, a lot of best works are made in years, if you keep switching all the time, you’re never going to finish anything, forget writing and go study law or medicine. Or business.
[/quote]

Dead on. I typically don’t start writing a script until I think I’ve got a decent

arch and I don’t post a script until it’s complete. It has happened a couple

times though where I’ll have my story completely broken down and I’ll start

writing it in script form only to find it doesn’t really work. I tend to let those

sit for awhile until I can come back to it with a fresh mind.

[quote]
This section is full of “my new idea, what do you think?” topics where you find the very beginning of a script which NEVER gets finished and sinks to the bottom of the archive. Lost cases. I never show unfinished works to anyone, it makes the urge to finish even bigger and assures you that if you don’t manage, you can always delete them and nobody thinks of you as the loser who could never write anything longer than three pages.
[/quote]

Yeah I hate it when people post Loglines for scripts before they’ve even got

two pages written.

I usually have that problem, but now when I come up with a new idea when I’m in the middle of another script I try to put my new idea into that script somehow or someway. It usually helps with originality, and what not.

I have so many STARTED SCRIPTS it’s disgusting. Problem is they are all finished. In my head. I just get stuck, or the writing ‘muse’ leaves me. They’re great ideas. Of course they are, they’re mine. ^-^

I have 5 started scripts and 2 written scripts. My first is a train wreck, but the main character is brilliant. My second one, I’m still rewriting. Not quite satisfied. Had to let it rest for a year.

[quote=“roulette67”]
My first is a train wreck, but the main character is brilliant.
[/quote]

Who’d be playing him?

He’s a washed out journalist. Use to be the top of his game until alcohol took care of that shit. He comes upon a story that can save his career. He’s off the booze but has wavering self confidence.

In a perfect world it would have been William Holden. That kind of grittiness. I see this guy with razor stubble, the whole bit.

Now, Bruce Willis. Last Man Standing