Disappointed by Death Proof or not?

[quote=“me”]
I would have to say Jackie Brown. I know alot of people love JB and i’m a huge Pam Grier fan, but I just didnt like it.
[/quote]

You think Jackie B is his worst? I think it may be his best film. Between DP and Jackie B. Its like night and day to me. One is so-so, the other is a masterpiece of crime cinema.

What can I say, it just wasnt my cup of tea.

Let me rephrase this: Do you think Death Proof is better than Jackie Brown in terms of direction, music, acting, character development, overall impact of cinema storytelling? Im not talking about if you simply didnt like it that much as a movie. You have to be honest and admit that DP doesnt come close to Jackie Brown in most of those areas. Its an exploitation flick with some mediocre dialogue about girls fucking guys and a couple cool action scenes. Does it hold up as a truly great work of film or just a fun little movie that couldve been better? I think the latter myself.

I will say JB overall has better music,direction, and acting but I still would rather watch DP over JB. Remember I’m not saying I hate JB, it just isnt one of my favs from QT. Sorry to get off topic, back to talking about Death Proof.

I hear ya. Im just judging it overall from Dogs to DP, which I think is his weakest film. I keep coming up with DP. Not that I want to, but its just how I see it in the best to worst list.

I felt the complete opposite to disappointment when I first watched Death Proof. At the time, SO MANY people were hating on it, it was unbelievable. Could it be that QT had finally delivered a less-than-satisfactory film? I was actually nervous. I had to look to the ratings members here gave it in a desperate attempt to allay my fears. There weren’t many at the time (late May, early June). So it came to a point where I was doubting QT. A lot of people were commenting on the forced/boring dialogue which I saw glimpses of in the trailer (obviously without context), so it was a tough time being a QT fan. So that was actually half the reason I decided to go to Prague.

When Death Proof day finally came on 13th July 2008, on my 3rd day in Prague, 4 of us went to the cinema. By the time the credits rolled, I must admit I had tears in my eyes. It was kind of embarassing to be honest, my best mate was sitting right next to me and I didn’t want him to see. It was a personal moment for me. The tears were because I actually had the nerve to doubt QT. DP exceeded my expectations.

However, Death Proof is without a doubt the worst QT movie for sure. It is no where near on the same level as RD, PF, JB or indeed KB. It’s just a lesser film in almost every way. DP does have one of my greatest QT scenes in though. That first crash scene was absolutely incredible. The lap dance scene as well as the chase sequence were other favourites, as well as the end scene. DP was definitely experimental. It was smaller, much low key, and QT seemed to have turned down everything to a notch. But I appreciate little things he does, and DP has a fair few. For example, I love how during one of the scenes in the bar, when Jungle Julia is at the table talking, the camera zooms out for a second or so, but then zooms in and keeps on zooming, sort of giving the effect that he pressed the wrong zoom button at first. Also, during the car chase, at one point I think it’s Stuntman Mike’s car goes off road into the dirt. This causes all the dirt to cloud the view, and the camera pans right in effort to catch the car, but it’s no where to be seen, then all of a sudden as if to give the impression that the camera operator finally saw the car, the camera pans frantically to the left where we see the car get back on to the road. It’s quite unconventional and I love things like that.

Anyway, I don’t want to go on and on about this, but I definitely wasn’t disappointed. I’m not a huge horror fan or anything, so I wasn’t going to be all ecstatic over Death Proof anyway. However, I give it a 9/10.

For the record:

Reservoir Dogs - 10/10

Pulp Fiction - 10/10

Jackie Brown - 10/10

Kill Bill 10/10

Death Proof - 9/10

I think thats a good assessment. Just because its the worst QT movie, that def doesnt mean its a bad film. Its certainly not. It just is for the standards I/we hold him to, it didnt exceed my expectations. Its got some great sequences and a couple pretty dull ones. Oh well.

For me Death Proof is compulsively watchable. If I pop it in, even for something as miniscule as wanting to listen to some of the music, be it “The Last Race” (Village of the Giants, baby!), “Down in Mexico” or “Hold Tight,” or if I’m jonesing for those sequences in particular, I always find myself watching the whole movie. I’ve never been able to just watch the single segment I popped it in to see.

I’m in total geek love with the movie.

I know there are people who are underwhelmed with the movie, and those who flat out hate it. I couldn’t be bothered with that.

Mike: Thats great if you feel that way. I wish I did. I def dont hate it. I couldnt hate any QT movies, but not as satsfied with it as his other films: definitely.

The music in the film is one of the best things about it, but Id rather just listen to it on my stereo. :slight_smile:

yay a poll. stop the DP bashing! :wink:

I didn’t like this movie, to much talking from the women and not enough of stunt man Mike killing people. I’ve tried to watch this movie twice and I still don’t like it. I usually watch a film a second time to see if I missed something the first time I watched it. This movie just doesn’t work for me.

Someone shouldve made a poll that said:

Where would you place Death Proof on QTs Best To Worst Films? I guarantee it would be at the bottom of the list. Which just proves what I have kept saying. Its his worst film so far. Its not as good or better than any of his previous movies. Thats just the plain truth folks. Doesnt mean I hate the movie, but it didnt deliver for me on all the levels QT usually delivers on.

For me Death Proof is better than Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown. DP’s visual, aesthetic and cinematic technique level is highest than RD and JB.

I love the overall tone of it, and the sequence in Lebanon, y’know just seeing the country and the vivid colors is excelerating, I love the look and it’s structures as two segments. And I really love the second segment of it, I just found Rosario, Zoe, and Traci better than the other girls, but overall it’s a great flick, and I don’t think he meant to top any of his other films, its sorta like in a stand-alone genre if you compare it to every other film he’s made. But the sequence in the end is just tremendous to say the least, I just crank up the volume and watch it in the dark and it’s pounding with thrills.

Mr Q: Youre a rare case I think. I doubt most people think its better than Dogs or Jackie. It doesnt have the same kind of impact as those films for me at all.

Bio: Thats cool. It does have some good sequences (the car crash/chase ending stand out alot).

Id say the best the thing about it is the direction, cinematography and music. I can appreciate it as an experimental type of film too…but at the end of the day its still my least favorite QT film.

I don’t have a “least favourite” QT film… I only have a favourite of the week/month, and then the other QT films, which are above most other films I love… I go through phases. I like DP a lot. My daughter just watched it today while I was watching Angel. She loves it. If I could put a vote in for her I would.

Well every Qt film is like a different flavor of ice cream, you can’t really compare them, because they’re all very different in scope and style. In my opinion every QT film stands by itself, like every other director say like Woody Allen will make a ton of films that feel the same, and with QT you don’t get that, so I love Death Proof just as much as I love Dogs or Jackie Brown.

That’s exactly how I feel Bio, Nice one. You’re sort of freaking me out a bit with the rational and well-articulated thought though.

I agree, QTs films ARE all different. But Death Proof is my least favorite of his films. It just doesnt interest me as much as his other movies.

Woody Allens one of my favorite directors too but I still like certain films by him more than others. Its just part of being a fan to have films you like more or less than other ones. Theres no shame in that. Same with The Coens. I love Fargo, but I dont like Intolerable Cruelty that much. So what? It happens.

I think I get it… Finally. You guys think that Death Proof couldn’t have, and never would have been made if it wasn’t QT’s script. And you’re right. If Mr. Anonyous Screenwriter tried to sell that script, it’d never have gotten picked up.

Yes. The film only got made cos it was a QT/RR project, and they are so well-known that they can literally be known by only their initials. That doesn’t make me like it any less. I still think it was exactly what it was to be, and I still love it.

It should have done much better in the box offices though. Whomever was in charge of marketing it should be fired from show biz.