Directors you love that you wish everyone knew about

Ernst Lubistch

The great mind behind my favorite comedy of all time, “Ninotchka”. The greatest line came in Soviet Russia, in Ninotchka’s apartment with her three comrades. After getting a letter from Paris, she opens it and it is censored. One of the men say:

"They can’t censor our memories, can they?"

It must be hard to live in those circumstances. The movie really brings all that heaviness that Garbo shows us with that look in her eyes.

Edmund Goulding

He made Grand Hotel - which I really fucking loved, and he made numerous films with Bette Davis, I liked their collaboration in Dark Victory, that was a great picture that veryone should see.

Clarence Brown

Made six pictures with Greta Garbo. I really loved Anna Christie, it’s an unforgettable film, I think he also did Camille and Anna Kerina.

Joseph Mankiewicz

On the interviews I read, he regretted his career in motion pictures - a great mind, possibly the smartest filmmaker that has ever walked this earth. This is the man that changed Hollywood in and out. He was there from the silent era to the late 80s. No one can write a movie like him. If you look at Sleuth the movie is just two guys talking and the film is so fucking great. You have varied emotions when you see his pictures. You laugh, you feel all the time.

Noah Baumbach. The Squid and the Whale and Kicking & Screaming. Should I say more?

[quote=“Sgt. Geoi Donowitz”]
Danny Boyle has become one of my favourites, but to mention his name, most people are like “who?”. Sunshine was fantastic. I loved 28 Days Later, even though what people call zombies weren’t really zombies. Trainspotting. Everything he does is really really good and interesting.
[/quote]

Are you joking?

I mean the man whose movie won 8 Oscars… I mean Slumdog Millionaire.

But anyhow, I like Boyle’s movies - Trainspotting and Slumdog Millionaire are favorites from him. Haven’t seen many movies directed by him and I’ve only seen 30 minutes of 28 Days Later. But yeah, maybe you’re right, I don’t really know him, just seen few movies he has done.

But Aki and Mika Kaurismäki are the directors I wish everyone knew. They both have so unique style.

Gotta agree with you jonitapani, both Aki and Mika are terrific directors. Especially Aki’s The Man Without a Past, I Hired a Contract Killer and Juha are good movies. I haven’t seen so much movies from Mika, but Rosso is great.

[quote=“Utivich”]
Noah Baumbach. The Squid and the Whale and Kicking & Screaming. Should I say more?
[/quote]

It’s Baumbach. There is no “more”.

[quote=“nonsse”]
Gotta agree with you jonitapani, both Aki and Mika are terrific directors. Especially Aki’s The Man Without a Past, I Hired a Contract Killer and Juha are good movies. I haven’t seen so much movies from Mika, but Rosso is great.
[/quote]

One of the best by Mika Kaurismäki: The Worthless (Arvottomat in Finnish).

They both have many good movies.

kind of depends who you’re talking to as far as who knows these directors (theyre quite well known in some circles but)

Chan-wook-park

terry zwigoff

all made absolutely flawless work throughout their career (YES EVEN BAD SANTA!)

Terry Zwigoff is funny.

Andrei Tarkovsky is another great filmmaker who probably doesn’t get as much attention as he deserves. I usually only see film school kids talking about him, but he’s really one of the most visually impressive and amazing directors of all time.

[quote=“pantsman”]
Andrei Tarkovsky is another great filmmaker who probably doesn’t get as much attention as he deserves. I usually only see film school kids talking about him, but he’s really one of the most visually impressive and amazing directors of all time.
[/quote]

Yeah, I mentioned him and Kenneth immediately called me a film school.

I can’t afford film school.

[quote=“F.W.”]
Yeah, I mentioned him and Kenneth immediately called me a film school.

I can’t afford film school.[/quote]
Yeah, sometimes it’s hard to avoid labels. There are those types who like to hold their knowledge over other people’s heads that make others get so defensive though. I always just try to suggest it to other people in a way that they’d be able to gauge their interest. Like, if you like horror movies - check out Eraserhead. Then, if you like how weird Eraserhead is, check out something from Tarkovsky but expect a slow pace ;D

The Sacrifice has probably been my favorite of his work that I’ve seen. Andrei Rublev is another great one.