DePalma or Hitch?

Im in here debating DePalma with a guy named “Bone Daddy”. How the mighty have fallen. :’(

Ah, hello junior G-Men, look at DePalma’s body of work, since his glory years in the 70’s. He doesn’t have a glimmer of the drive that created Sisters, Obsession, or Phantom of the Paradise. He’s been reduced to another CGI 'HO.

At least he didn’t direct The Ring 2.

Bonehead: You’re not even being serious. You’re just talking out yer bony ass. DePalma is one of Americas best directors. No director has made hits all the way through their career. DePalma has made more great films than bad ones anyways.

And yes, I can say DePalma and Hitchcock in the same breath. DePalma was his successor.

[quote=“Pete”]
I honestly dont know what he means. A “studio hack”? Thats more like a Michael Bay or Brett Ratner to me. How does Brian DePalma fit into that term? I can tell that this Bone Daddy guy probably hasnt even seen any DePalma films.
[/quote] I stopped watching DePalma after Mis Imp I. He had become totally banal by than.[quote=“Pete”]
Im in here debating DePalma with a guy named “Bone Daddy”. How the mighty have fallen. :’(
[/quote] I didn’t think Bone Mamma sounded quite right.

I don’t mind if Bone Daddy has a different opinion from everyone, but he’s just not good at explaining his arguments and that’s where my faith in him fails.

I love MI. One of my faves of his actually. If I want banal CGI movies, I’ll watch a Spielberg film.

Cant wait to see DePalma’s Redacted and Capone Rising! 8)

[quote=“Pete”]
Bonehead: You’re not even being serious. You’re just talking out yer bony ass. DePalma is one of Americas best directors. No director has made hits all the way through their career. DePalma has made more great films than bad ones anyways.

And yes, I can say DePalma and Hitchcock in the same breath. DePalma was his successor.

[/quote] Hitch has crapped bigger turds than DePalma.[quote=“visualsynerG.G. Allin”]
I don’t mind if Bone Daddy has a different opinion from everyone, but he’s just not good at explaining his arguments and that’s where my faith in him fails.
[/quote] And this is where you work that Truffaut BS into this thread, right!

Ill leave you kids to it now. Nothing left to do up in here.

[quote=“Bone Daddy”]
Hitch has crapped bigger turds than DePalma. And this is where you work that Truffaut BS into this thread, right!
[/quote]

Hmmm? I just don’t think you really know how to spell out your arguments because it just seems like you’re saying they suck just because they do in your opinion. This really has got to be one of the most uninvolving debates I’ve ever been a part of on the internet.

[quote=“visualsynerG.G. Allin”]
Hmmm? I just don’t think you really know how to spell out your arguments because it just seems like you’re saying they suck just because they do in your opinion. This really has got to be one of the most uninvolving debate I’ve ever been a part of on the internet.
[/quote] Isn’t that what movie yak is all about, one person’s opinion against anothers. What, do you want me to get surgical with every reply, especially when defending myself against two. You haven’t made very strong cases “for” your opinions either. What specifically has DePalma done that’s so great, these past 20 years.[quote=“Pete”]
[/quote] What else did you have to do?

[quote=“Bone Daddy”]
Isn’t that what movie yak is all about, one person’s opinion against anothers. What, do you want me to get surgical with every reply, especially when defending myself against two. You haven’t made very strong cases “for” your opinions either. What specifically has DePalma done that’s so great, these past 20 years. What else did you have to do?
[/quote]

Who said I was defending DePalma? I just butted into this argument because you haven’t fully explained why you dislike him so much, just like you did in the Truffaut thread. I’m not trying to get personal because I could care either way but I’m simply pointing that out.

[quote=“Bone Daddy”]
What specifically has DePalma done that’s so great, these past 20 years.
[/quote]

What specifically has Hitchcock done that’s so great, these past 27 years?

Died.

[quote=“Bone Daddy”]
Isn’t that what movie yak is all about, one person’s opinion against anothers. What, do you want me to get surgical with every reply, especially when defending myself against two. You haven’t made very strong cases “for” your opinions either. What specifically has DePalma done that’s so great, these past 20 years. What else did you have to do?
[/quote]

LOL. Cmon man. Why do you even reply to topics like this? Im not going to go into another big shmeel about DePalma, Ive said enough already as everyone here knows. If you dont like his stuff, thats fine, but dont dismiss his work over the past 20 years as worthless. Thats just pure ignorance.

I dont know why I even bother with this kind of stuff anymore. Its getting ridiculous.

I’ll reply to you in bulk this time. Raising Cain, Blow Out, Snake Eyes, Bonfire of the Vanities, Wise Guys, Femme Fatale and Mission to Mars. Are you seriously going to compare that crap to anything Hitchcock ever did! Even Jamaica Inn, Hitch’s worst ,was better than those.

I like DePalma more. Hitchcock is great but his movies are not as exciting as DePalma. Both directors have their high and low points, and overall I like more DePalma films. I like Raising Cain, Bofire of the Vanities, and Blow Out.

[quote=“Bone Daddy”]
I stopped watching DePalma after Mis Imp I. He had become totally banal by than.[/quote]

Which basically translates to: "I have no right whatsoever to judge De Palma’s recent movies. Anything I say will be coming out of my ass"

De Palma’s later movies haven’t been as great as his 70’s/80’s era that’s for sure. But that could also be said of good old Hitch. Most directors reach a prime in their career which is difficult to keep for the rest of their life. Having said that, I still enjoy watching most De Palma movies, old and new.

[quote=“Bone Daddy”]
I’ll reply to you in bulk this time. Raising Cain, Blow Out, Snake Eyes, Bonfire of the Vanities, Wise Guys, Femme Fatale and Mission to Mars. Are you seriously going to compare that crap to anything Hitchcock ever did! Even Jamaica Inn, Hitch’s worst ,was better than those.
[/quote]

Woah, woah, woah. Let’s not shit on some of those good movies right there. I haven’t seen Bonfire, Wise Guys or Femme Fatale but the ones that I have seen are the shit, Blow Out is his best film, well one of them.

[quote=“Scarface”]
Which basically translates to: "I have no right whatsoever to judge De Palma’s recent movies. Anything I say will be coming out of my ass"

De Palma’s later movies haven’t been as great as his 70’s/80’s era that’s for sure. But that could also be said of good old Hitch. Most directors reach a prime in their career which is difficult to keep for the rest of their life. Having said that, I still enjoy watching most De Palma movies, old and new.
[/quote]Hitchcock did some of his best films 35 years into his career!