Death Proof Movie/Pop Culture Connections

How many references does Planet Terror have to QT? Ive noticed a few but can’t think of them all right now. Of course there is the Red Apple sigs. The Needle scene seems sorta Pulp Fictiony. The "Kill Bill’ on the notepad. To me it seemed as if QT had a whole lot to do with PT. It had a very QT feel to it and thats why I love it. The uncut version rocks hard.

The red umbrella that Omar (guy with the slick hair) is holding outside Gueros when he asks the Vanessa Ferlito character if she wants to make out is a refrence to Elle Driver from Kill Bill - either it is or its just some crazy coincidence. But I think its a minor refrence.

They both have an umbrella - a crazy coincidence? that’s not a reference.

the only thing i really noticed was the big trouble in little china shirt (because i heard about it in a big trouble and little china fan site) … well that and the fact that everyone kept calling the 1970 Dodge Challenger "the vanishing point car "

I was watching Hot Rods To Hell (an old 60s cult flick) recently and theres a sequence that QT mustve seen before he wrote the car crash sequence in Death Proof.

Two hot rod punks terrorize the main family in the movie by playing chicken: driving past their car, turning around and driving full speed at them on the wrong side of the road AT NIGHT until the other car runs off the road (the headlights are on, not off of course) The first thing I thought of while watching it was Death Proof. These guys actually do it THREE times, the last time the dad (one of the victims) parks the family car in the road with the headlights on and the two punks drive towards it only to find its not going to move and they crash their car on the side of the road.

What QT did was take that basic idea and stretch it out and heighten it to make it an even more cinematic thrill. THAT is what QT does when he steals ideas from older movies. Thats great filmmaking. :slight_smile:

You mean when he borrows… :wink:

Well even he says he steals. He doesnt make any apologies about it. All the best filmmakers do it in one form or another.

Just as long as the scene is in different context it ain’t stealing. Shit even Shakespeare himself “borrowed” from other stuff. If I recall correctly.

Its more about bringing a new/better aspect to the original idea. Thats what moves any kind of art forward.

Leone, Scorsese, Peckinpah, Kurosawa, De Palma and Tarantino were/are all thieves and are some of the greatest directors ever!

If youve ever watched Thelma & Louise (great 90s Ridley Scott/female empowerment film) theres a scene when Louise shoots a rapist, its similar to DP when Kim shoots Mike (after he “vehicularly rapes” the girls) and the girls fight back against him.

good point, i like it

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]
I love Trash films but Faster Pussycat was just bad. no fun at all. i don’t get what’s so cool about this movie.
[/quote]

i saw faster pussycat when i was at college, and decided to dye my hair black and cut my fringe short.

all because of tura satana.

SUCH a great film! and so ridiculous. love it

[quote=“katekamikaze”]
i saw faster pussycat when i was at college, and decided to dye my hair black and cut my fringe short.
[/quote]

Had you the boobst to get along with the complete style ? Ahah, nah, I’m just kidding, don’t even answer to this ;D

Hahahahah, Welcome to the forums katekamikaze

here’s another one:

it’s the same car as in Vanishing Point!!!

oh wait…you knew that, didn’t you?

I’m just joking, of course :-p

here’s the one i spotted the other day:

the same wristwatch as Kowalski!!

My teacher got one too! but he’s bald… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been looking everywhere for a wristwatch just like that, does anyone know which company makes that watch or a place I can get one? Thanks.

Those style of watches were really popular in the 70s. My brother had one when he was a kid. Im not sure where to find them tho.

I thought that style of watch was really popular at the moment? Go into any watch store and you’d probably find one. My brother has one just like that from fossil.