Death Proof Critique

LOL!! Take it to the politics topic you toothless hick!!

This reminds me of that George Carlin joke –

“Can you explain what happened in your own words?”

"In my own words? Sure I can! Ikli blarney sploorge!"

Look, you can follow a trend and just slide by and make millions. But if you have interesting ideas of your own and know what you like and know what you don’t like, then with those personal parameters set, you can make what you think is great and whatever other people think of it, that’s what they’ll think of it.

How do you know that isn’t one of the reasons why Kurt killed himself? Aside from the drugs and the stomach pains. He couldn’t meet the expectations of what everyone else was expecting from him. That on top of the drugs and all of his other problems he had a lot swarming around in his head. Or you may think Courtney killed him. But he has said in at least one interview I saw that he didn’t want to be a rock star anymore with all the pressure he didn’t expect to get. To see the kinds of people he hated loving what he did along with everyone else.

You just do what you can with what you think is the right idea. If you put a certain criteria on everything you create, you will NEVER get anything done. “Will so and so think this is groundbreaking? You know what, fuck em. I think it is. I think it’s awesome! If no one else thinks it’s as cool as I do then they can just go fuck themselves!” That’s the attitude. And it’s the right attitude.

Because trust me… every single artisitic work out there has also been torn to pieces by people who just don’t care. You find me a work of art that has been heralded as something new and exciting, and I can find someone who would rather piss on it than look at it or appreciate it. I’ve talked to people who hate everything Quentin’s ever done… I know of people who hated THE GODFATHER and THE EXORCIST and… well, just pick one. Pick your favorite, top ten films or albums of all time… there’s a multitude of people out there that not only think they’re not groundbreaking, they’ve seen better art when they get up off the toilet. And that’s their opinion. You can’t please everyone… you can just hope to succeed.

That is why I said “once an artist fails to be ground-breaking it’s over” - I was talking about Cobain. One of the things that plagued Jimi Hendrix was that he was too ground-breaking. After a couple of years he wanted to abandon the stuff that he was famous for and move into jazz and fusion - but the fans wouldn’t let him. The wanted to hear hey joe and purple haze until the end of time…which undoubtedly led Hendrix into the downward spiral that led to his death. There are others - the thing to remember is this - in the end we’re all going to die - but few of us will be remembered. I guarantee you one fucking thing: nobody will ever forget Cobain, Hendrix, or Morrison. Nobody. The reason is because they were ground-breaking artists that demanded the respect from not only fans but from other masters of their art. Even Clapton and Gilmour idolized Jimi Hendrix.

isn’t this thread about DP?

Ya gotta just do whats in your mind and what you want to do. Artistic freedom/expression. If QT listened to everyone like you who wasnt impressed by his latest work, we wouldnt have anything left to be excited about.

Put your hayfork down, wash the manure off your hands and think.

Hey, I know you didnt go see Death Proof in the theaters when it was out. Where did you end up seeing it? Online?

I don’t think Cobain ever failed to be groundbreaking. Ever. He just let everything come down on him… the praise… the doubt… the problems… and it cost him his life. It was never a question of whether he wasn’t groundbreaking or not.

Pete, Kilgore… I think both of you are better than this. There’s no reason for all the barbs back and forth.

Kilgore, seriously… it’s hard enough to come up with a cohesive story than whether or not it’s going to break new ground. I think you place too many expectations on art.

Artists are only human. They’re doing what they love to do. If you like what they’re doing, great. If you don’t, go on to someone else you like. That’s why I love the fact I am in a position where I love so many different filmmakers’ work. I love the variety of it. If I just liked one or two, I’d probably put a lot of pressure on what they should be doing too. Not that that’s what you’re doing, Kilgore… I only know what I would do. I’ve studied cinema from its inception until now. I appreciate the history of cinema and each director’s place in it. Especially Quentin’s.

Mike: We’re just kidding each other. We have a history of this stuff.

who in the hell are you? go back to the shallow end of the pool and leave us the fuck alone.

Kilgores argument is now dead and buried under the manure he shoveled on the farm. Hallelujah.

You have to understand that if that’s what Jimi felt… then he let his fans get the better of him. I know they’re his fans and that it’s a great honor to have fans in the first place… but what you want has to supercede that sometimes. He could have always played his old hits, along with his new ones. The fans weren’t a ruthless mob standing in his way with torches and pitchforks and guns saying, “If you don’t promise us you’re going to continue making the music we like instead of the shit you like, you won’t get passed us alive!” An artist has to grow… he can’t just keep recording Hey Joe every time. Oh wait… he has to be groundbreaking… so maybe Hey Joe with a different twang during the chorus.

An artist is only one person. If he could read minds then he could probably please everybody. Yes, even you, Kilgore.

Yes Kilgore, even a manure chip maker like yourself must be true to oneself and his art.

I play music for me. I am not ground-breaking, thus I am here talking with dipshits such as yourself. I have met people that are and you instantly know it. They have that “something” about them that can’t be described. I am certain that QT is this kind of person. He is one in a million…maybe one in 10 million.

But hes not groundbreaking!! Blech! I dont like him anymore! :frowning:

[quote=“Pete”]
But hes not groundbreaking!! Blech! I dont like him anymore! :frowning:
[/quote]
I never said that. I said that I expect better from him. That’s all. Every other movie that he has made has been ground-breaking to some extent. I just want one more of those “really groundbreaking” films out of him. Is that too much to ask for?

Yeah, he’s just doing what he does… and people CONSIDER it groundbreaking. Quentin doesn’t even take credit for his (groundbreaking) dialogue!

Okay, even if they have that “something” that makes them so indescribable. If they knew what it was that made people think them this way, they’d bottle that shit.

Why would you lessen yourself by talking to dipshits like us?

“Are you calling moi a dipshit?”

What was groundbreaking about Pulp Fiction? Please just tell us that. The non linear storyline wasnt groundbreaking, thats been done before QT did it. The dialogue was QT dialogue. It was in Dogs. The stories werent groundbreaking. It was just classic crime genre film stories with a QT twist. It was groundbreaking because Hollywood let QT run rampant in the candy store, thats all. Now hes in there and he can do what he wants. Thats when you can see whos a real fan in it for the long run and whos just a Pulp Fiction fan…KILGORE!!!

[quote=“Pete”]
What was groundbreaking about Pulp Fiction? Please just tell us that. The non linear storyline wasnt groundbreaking, thats been done before QT did it. The dialogue was QT dialogue. It was in Dogs. The storyline wasnt groundbreaking. It was just crime genre plots with a twist. It was groundbreaking because Hollywood let QT run rampant in the candy store, thats all.

[/quote]
This was the first movie that had that kind of shock value without being a “B” movie with a shitty cast. I was totally shocked to see Bruce Willis in a scene with a security guard fucking a guy in the ass - not to mention killing him with a fucking sword. Seeing John Travolta shooting up heroin and later injecting adrenaline into Uma Thurman’s heart was not something that I was expecting either. There was so much attention to detail - especially Jack Rabbit Slim’s - and with a plot as complex as it is…there isn’t a single mistake or hole to speak of (sorry Biohazard, but you didn’t find a hole). This movie was flawless. This movie had it all - and it came out of nowhere. It never gets boring, it never gets old…it’s timeless. An instant classic. The best part is that it is appealing to the most unllikely people…There are little housewives out there who secretly love this movie. Ground-breaking isn’t a good enough word for it. Quite frankly, I can’t think of a movie that can be compared to it.

You just loved the ass sex part, lets be honest.

no…my favorite part is where Marcellus Wallace is telling Butch to swallow his pride. There is so much truth to that speech -

Pulp Fiction was just one film QT did. Hes made up of more than just that. He has other interests/genres he wants to do. You either like that or ya dont I guess. For me, Death Proof was pretty groundbreaking for the slasher film genre. I never saw one like that. Its really unique to me.

Kilgore: Where did you see Death Proof? Online?

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
This was the first movie that had that kind of shock value without being a “B” movie with a shitty cast. I was totally shocked to see Bruce Willis in a scene with a security guard fucking a guy in the ass - not to mention killing him with a fucking sword. Seeing John Travolta shooting up heroin and later injecting adrenaline into Uma Thurman’s heart was not something that I was expecting either. There was so much attention to detail - especially Jack Rabbit Slim’s - and with a plot as complex as it is…there isn’t a single mistake or hole to speak of (sorry Biohazard, but you didn’t find a hole). This movie was flawless. This movie had it all - and it came out of nowhere. It never gets boring, it never gets old…it’s timeless. An instant classic. The best part is that it is appealing to the most unllikely people…There are little housewives out there who secretly love this movie. Ground-breaking isn’t a good enough word for it. Quite frankly, I can’t think of a movie that can be compared to it.
[/quote]

Remember Andy the gun salesman in TAXI DRIVER? He wasn’t playing a part, that’s what he does. He also deals drugs. His real name is Steven Prince. Marty Scorsese conducted an interview with him that became AMERICAN BOY: A PROFILE OF STEVEN PRINCE. He tells a story in the interview that was turned into the adrenaline shot sequence in PULP FICTION. Much of the film is also taken not only from French films, but Howard Hawks films and a lot of films noir. Jack Rabbit Silms was inspired on a place in Hawks’s RED LINE 7000.

PULP FICTION is essentially Quentin’s Howard Hawks movie.

It essentially IS a B-movie, taken to A-movie heights. Film noir was a B-movie genre. And today neo-noir has taken its place.

Again, like DEATH PROOF, and JACKIE BROWN, PULP FICTION is a movie with a lot of 70s aesthetic to it. Different genres, to be sure, but all taken from a certain 70s aesthetic.

The gimp is of course taken from a little bit of DELIVERANCE flair, with that S + M flavor.

The three-story plot of Pulp Fiction was inspired by the three-story plot of Mario Bava’s Black Sabbath.