Criterion Collections

[quote=“Laydback”]
17. #443-La Ronde___Max Ophuls___1950
[/quote]

Actually one of my top ten favourite films.

[quote=“Angel”][quote=“Laydback”]
17. #443-La Ronde___Max Ophuls___1950
[/quote]

Actually one of my top ten favourite films.[/quote]

I adore that film as well. The narrator’s dialogue is so hypnotic and accompanied with Ophuls’ camerawork…I was in a trance.

You guys have good tastes, La Ronde is a very good movie and indeed Ophüls camera is almost magical and hypnotic. Plus the narration was almost a revolution at the time (well, even if there were a lot of experiements though in less famous French movies).

[quote=“cyber-lili”]You guys have good tastes[/quote]

You’re just realizing this?

Ahah, not exactly but it’s confirmed day after day, so pretty cool to keep realize it ;D

[quote=“cyber-lili”]Ahah, not exactly but it’s confirmed day after day, so pretty cool to keep realize it ;D[/quote]

Which one of us is your dream man?

[quote=“F.W.”]
Which one of us is your dream man?[/quote]

A man should never get such power, if I choose one of you, no modesty at all. Mens should always be in competition. Oh btw, I could never tell that over the internet neither. ;D

Cont’d:

10th:

25. #215-Knife in the Water___Roman Polanski___1962

A slow start, but things really started to heat up when the trio went underneath the deck. And since this type of film gets constantly imitated, I was also especially pleased that this didn’t become entirely predictable near the end.

-

26. #74-Vagabond___Agnès Varda___1985

The interview segments threw me off in the early going (Always freaked out a little when Yolanda would suddenly face the camera and talk) Otherwise, solid film. I wasn’t surprised to go to the IMDB boards afterwards and find an explanation on who those freaky tree guys were supposed to be.

-

27. #59-The Night Porter___Liliana Cavani___1974

Better than I expected, but it’s too bad the contemporary scenes had to deal with the flashback sequences. Each one of those flashback scenes was truly mesmerizing.

-

28. #431-The Thief of Bagdad___Ludwig Berger, Michael Powell and Tim Whelan___1940

The Genie (Or in this case, “The Djinni”) was a dick. There. Had to be said.

Anyways, even though the running time was definetly felt along with some lovably dated effects to laugh at, it was great to finally see one of the biggest inspirations for Aladdin.

--------------------------------------

11th:

29. #87-Alexander Nevsky___Sergei Eisenstein___1938

Even though there’s an endless amount of sword-swinging between the opposing sides of the climactic battle, there’s still hardly a dull moment in a fine film like this. Great mixture between silent sequences and talkie moments.

-

30. #48-Black Orpheus___Marcel Camus___1959

As much as I appreciate the movie, I swear it seems to feel longer and longer everytime I watch it. And am I wrong for always laughing outloud at the cliff-death scene?

-

31. #52-Yojimbo___Akira Kurosawa___1961

+

"It is Wonderful to Create"

An all-time top 10 favorite of mine. Watched w/ audio commentary on. Interesting to hear some insight on the Tokugawa era (History that I’m interested in, but haven’t got around to check out more of) and I was surprised that Fistful of Dollars was only briefly mentioned 3 times in the commentary.

I’ve watched the documentary before, but shame on me for not reminding myself how good and informative it was.

-

32. #175-Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas___Terry Gilliam___1998

I can’t say that this will ever be a great movie, but that doesn’t mean I can’t watch it over and over again. There really is some fantastic lines throughout the movie that are being spoken, often incomprehensibly, by both Depp & Del Toro that are sure to surprise you (Give the subtitles a look sometime)

This DVD-set also has, undoubtedly, my most favorite Extras-Disc in the entire Criterion Collection.

12th:

33. #390-Sweet Movie___Dušan Makavejev___1974

I love watching a movie that has total freedom as much as the next guy, but to fully enjoy the final product is another thing. A couple of stunning visual pieces and a few catchy songs to like, but a strong stomach is still required when the movie reaches it’s end.

-

34. #93-Black Narcissus___Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger___1947

I expected this to be a bore, but it ended up being my most favorite Powell/Pressburger movie. Go figure. I also became an immediate admirer of Kathleen Byron. That devilish grin of hers was the best I’ve ever seen.

-

35. #360-Symbiopsychotaxiplasm Take One___William Greaves___1968

Highly revolutionary for it’s time…Even though it was never, ever widely seen (Too bad) But it’s a good thing it had a short running time. And the inclusion of the homeless painter at the end really helped saving the film from overstaying it’s welcome. I might watch the rest of the Bill Greaves documentary tonight.

-

36. #246-I vitelloni___Federico Fellini___1953

Very good film, but it’s evident here that Fellini was still warming up to fully capture the type of hard-hitting gloominess that would appear in his future works like Nights/Cabiria and La Strada.

13th:

37. #53-Sanjuro___Akira Kurosawa___1962

I still continue to be confused by the plot and let down by the film’s low-energy (Pertaining to both the cinematography and action) but it’s still saved by Mifune’s hypnotic performance as one of my most favorite title characters ever. As well as a famously, timeless arterial spray.

-

38. #111-Mon Uncle___Jacques Tati___1958

I wanted to like this more than M. Hulot’s Holiday but…That didn’t appear to be the case. Despite the beautiful and flawless colors of the movie, I got the most joy out of this movie by just watching those dogs run around in the bookends.

-

39. #9-Hard Boiled___John Woo___1992

It doesn’t matter how over-the-top this film will always seem to be, Hard Boiled will continue to remain responsible for jump-starting my love for contemporary Asian cinema. And for that, I’ll always treasure it.

Very fascinating to know that, after all these years, only after tonight’s viewing was that I noticed that Jun Kunimura (Audtion,Kill Bill Vol-1,Ichi The Killer) plays the undercover cop at the teahouse shootout.

14th:

40. #33-Nanook of the North___Robert Flaherty___1922

+

"Flaherty and Film"

Even though there are moments that are staged and an abrupt ending at hand, this still holds up as a fascinating little feature.

-

41. #176-The Killers___Robert Siodmak___1946

I haven’t heard much about this movie, but was surprised by how well-structured it was (I was expecting something that was more by-the-numbers) Only drawbacks I had was that it began to run out of steam towards the end and some of the lingo threw me off. I thought “Kitty took a powder” meant that she was dead.

-

42. #11-The Seventh Seal___Ingmar Bergman___1957

Watched this with Peter Cowie’s audio commentary. It’s a good track and it helped elevate my respect towards the movie. It’s just that I still perfer the likes of Virgin Spring and Wild Strawberries over this film.