Coming Full Circle With IB, Is This The Beginning of a New Tarantino?

After Kill Bill, he said he’d only be making films for another 15 years. If he makes one every 3 years, that’s 5 films. Plenty :slight_smile:

Honestly I bet we will only get another 1 or 2 films out of QT over the next 15 years which is fine with me. I think he is going to take a lot of time off after IB. This was his big mountain climb. He’s just about finished climbing and I think he’ll go “live life” again for several years. I can’t imagine he is burning to make a film about John Brown right away.

He still has to make a great post-apocalyptic movie, where the world is all fucked up. It could be good. Or a character study like Taxi Driver, so yeah why not the John Brown biopic.

And maybe in fifteen years, if he really give up, there will be someone else as exciting as him. But hey, fifteen years that’s a lot of time man, let’s enjoy his present and future movies before even thinking about that.

He said 15 years in '04!? We could possibly only have 10 years left with him! :o

hehe i wouldnt trust so much what he says…he is constantly saying that he is going to make this or that, and we never know until he actually starts doing it

honestly, i doubt he will ever stop making movies…he may take extremely long breaks…but during these breaks, i think he will always have something in his mind; i think the excitement of releasing a new movie and all the expectation of the fans for it will be making he come back once in a while at least

and for now, i think he is pretty far from seriously considering retirement

I was being sarcastic. I should have made a notation in my post. Quentin changes his mind like he changes girlfriends. ;D

[quote=“Geoi”]
I was being sarcastic. I should have made a notation in my post. Quentin changes his mind like he changes girlfriends. ;D
[/quote]

HAHA ;D. Is their a topic around on his girlfriends? I’ve heard of a lot of them since his career began.

i was watching Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill the other day and i tought that, these two works seem to have taken some aspects of his talent to extremes…Pulp has the best dialogue he has ever done and probably ever will - almots every conversation in that movie is extremely memorable and enjoyable (and if u try to compare it with Death Proof, for exemple, u will probably see that theres is no comparison at all!) Kill Bill is pure visuals and action…

Inglourious is more like something in between…there are some moments of great dialogue and also some moments of great action; it seems to be his project that combines his powers better then any other…so the issue is: will he be left with any movie to make that could compare with Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill or Inglourious Basterds (assuming this last one is really that good)? Will he ever climb another mountain as high as these?

Why is Quentin so over-analyzed? It’s like we’re waiting for the phenom to show himself to be a fluke. I mean, I have complete faith in QT, but I still am very scared that more people than not will hate IB. Why is that? Anyone else feel that way?

[quote=“Geoi”]
Why is Quentin so over-analyzed? It’s like we’re waiting for the phenom to show himself to be a fluke. I mean, I have complete faith in QT, but I still am very scared that more people than not will hate IB. Why is that? Anyone else feel that way?
[/quote]

I feel that way to. It’s scary as hell. I think the problem is that we all love his work so much and if this movie is not good we will all be disappointed.

I felt this way with Jackie Brown, but i ended up enjoying that movie.

[quote=“Geoi”]
[/quote]

Well I’ve been thinking about this recently and the situation we currently have with QT is mirrored by a situation that seems to exist on another forum I frequent about Eminem. Bear with me as I have just gotten up, and may not make the best of sense and I may struggle to express myself fully, but here goes:

When QT first came onto the scene, he did so with a bang. He followed his sensational debut by what is largely considered to be one of, if not THE greatest film ever made. Similar types of work with great quality were released at around about the same time. People’s interests were peaked. It was something fresh and original. His next effort was given a mixed reception. Why? Because some people wanted another RD, PF, TR or even NBK. Instead what they got was a more mature work, a more accomplished piece. Some people started to become sceptical. What happened was, due to this significant period in which people were shown some works of great quality, they became accustomed to that. Because these works shared a similar theme, and were similar in nature, people became accustomed to that theme – that of a gritty, gangster/crime film filled with cool characters and witty dialogue. So when JB was released, it was a departure somewhat, people were not accustomed to this. Whilst a lot of fans remained loyal as they saw the quality in JB, others backed of a little or dismissed it outright.

Then came a 6-year hiatus with QT out of the spotlight. Those 6 years would prove to be CRUCIAL to QT’s legacy. What those 6 years did, was build up this remarkable expectation from people to deliver another masterpiece. What those 6 years did, was make people heighten QT’s status to such an extreme that is would be almost impossible for him to live up to. This heightened status came about as people wrongfully looked at the past as some sort of Godsend. The key word here is NOSTALGIA. In those 6 years, probably with the lack of great masterpieces being released, people yearned to see something like they had done 6 years ago. “There hasn’t really been many films that I absolutely love these past few years. But wait, I loved RD, PF and even JB. Actually those films were really fucking good. They were grand masterpieces. Not like the shit released today. I remember when I was at {x} watching it {by myself/with x}. Yeah, those were really brilliant times. It’s not the same anymore. But wait, he’s now releasing a new film. YES! I cannot wait. It is going to be a great masterpiece just like the others. I am going to feel the same way about itâ€

A similar effect was seen with Death Proof and no doubt, a similar effect will occur with Inglourious Basterds. With release of each new work, the initial works get further and further away, and the new work is met with uncertainty and or disappointment. These films are in the present day, you can’t possibly look on them with the same feelings you have accrued towards his previous films. What this does is, it distorts the person’s thinking to the actual nature of the film, i.e. because they can’t think objectively anymore, they fail to see that his recent body of work is just like, if not better than his past work.

I mean phrases like “Yeah his technique has improved, he has become a more well-rounded filmmaker, but the substance isn’t there. Where is the cool dialogue or great story?â€

I agree, and yes I really read all of it ;D

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
I agree, and yes I really read all of it ;D
[/quote]

Hahaha, I knew you would. ;D I guess it was boiling up inside of me, and I just needed to release it. It was more for my own sake than anything, haha. :wink:

[quote=“Geoi”]
[/quote]

I think its because some people like so much his work that they wanna talk about it; and also because we are so damned anxious to see IB, so talking about quentin helps to pass the time; i dont think in anyway he is a fluke;

the thing is, artists doesnt have an infinite creative power; they usually make a small amount of extremely creative works, and then they start repeating thenselves…its inevitable; i was pointing to what appears to me as a fact: that with Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill he took some aspects of his talent to extremes, he showed us aspects of his talent for the first time in full greatness; and with IB this seems to be all coming together better then before…so as he is human and has limitations, he might never have other works to make that will be as inovating as these; he might make many other great movies, but the question is, do you think he can top himself once more? or show another aspect about him that we dont know yet? if he does, it would probably be in a way we have no idea…i think thats the meaning of the expression “coming full circle” and i cant wait to see what he will think that he should make after IB

I totally get what you’re saying, Ify. I DO feel the same way about the original Star Wars episodes. However, I LOVE Kill Bill… Though I have that “nostalgic” closeness to PF and RD, I also feel like KB is a masterpiece. They’re different films, just like IB will be.

Right on Ify.

ive read u ify too hehe

Ify hit the head on the nail, or whatever one says… nail on the head? nail someone’s head?