The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Classic grindhouse/exploitation thread

Let’s make this a place to discuss the movies that inspired Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez’ new film Grindhouse. Post reviews, comments, questions,… anything related to vintage, classic grindhouse and exploitation cinema of the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s.

I’ll get the ball rolling with a list of some of the essentials (structure borrowed from,… well, stolen from the ESSENTIAL book, Sleazoid Express: A Mind Twisting Tour Through the Grindhouse Cinema of Times Square by Bill Landis and Michelle Clifford):

The Olga series (1964-66): Consisting of Olga’s Girls, White Slaves of Chinatown, Olga’s House of Shame, and Olga’s Dance House Girls. The least of the series is the final installment. Audrey Campbell IS Madame Olga, one of the most iconic figures in the history of exploitation, a dominatrix who tortures young girls for the mob and dabbling in prostitution and drugs. These are MUST sees for anyone interested in the genre.

The Flesh Trilogy (1967-68): Produced and directed by the husband/wife team of Michael and Roberta Findlay, Touch of Her Flesh, Curse of Her Flesh, and Kiss of Her Flesh make up the infamous “Flesh Trilogy”, which starred Michael Findlay himself as Richard Jennings, a man who goes on a three-movie rampage against all women (especially strippers and whores) after catching his woman in bed with another man. It’s arguable that the series got better (and nastier) as the series went on, and all three are available on a triple-feature disc from Something Weird. The Findlays produced other grindhouse classics as well, which I’m sure we’ll get to eventually.

Andy Milligan: Practically a genre unto himself, a bizarre man (see the excellent biography, The Ghastly One, by Jimmy McDonohough for all the grisly detals). During the 70’s Milligan was banging out zero-budget wonders at an insane pace, each seemingly cheaper then the last, he made Herschell Gordon Lewis look like James Cameron. Some of his most memorable films include Bloodthirsty Butchers, The Man With Two Heads, The Ghastly Ones, Torture Dungeon, The Body Beneath, The Rats Are Coming! The Werewolves Are Here!, Fleshpot on 42nd Street, Monstrosity, and Guru, The Mad Monk.

Blaxploitation: A genre well-entrenched in modern pop culture, but in the grindhouses you could see an edgier, more raw strain of the black action film - some blax favorites on 42nd Street included The Black Bunch, The Black Gestapo, The Black Godfather, The Guy From Harlem, Welcome Home Brother Charles (aka Soul Vengeance), Fight For Your Life, the Dolemite movies,Mandingo, and its sequel,Drum.

Blood Horor: The direct descendents of H.G. Lewis - classics of this sub-subgenre include The Undertaker and His Pals, The Corpse Grinders, I Drink Your Blood, and The Headless Eyes. These led to a slightly different strain which you could call Sex Blood Horrors, typified by The Last House on the Left, Love Me Deadly, The Love Butcher, Blood Couple (aka Double Possession), The Psychopath, The Toolbox Murders, I Spit on Your Grave (probably the first of a new sub-strain, the Rape/Revenge Flick) Don’t Answer the Phone, I Dismember Mama, Axe, and Last House on a Dead End Street.

Mondo Movies: Disreputable “documentaries” which showed (often staged) sex, violence, and exotic bizarreness, huge in the mid-60’s. See Mondo Cane, Women of the World, Mondo Passo, Taboos of the World, Mondo Balordo, Ecco, Malamondo, Macabro, Sadismo, Africa Addio, Mondo Hollywood, Mondo Mod, Mondo Teeno, Mondo Bizarro, Mondo Freudo, Mondo Exotica, Mondo Topless, Farewell Uncle Tom and Mondo Candido. These were precursors for the infamous Faces of Death series.

Eurosleaze: European trash cinema - really a genre of it’s own full of sub-genres. Jess Franco is one of the major figures, women in prison (which I’ll write about extensively at some point on this thread) flicks loom large over Eurosleaze, and there are also a wide variety of movies involving gangsters, Nazis, perverted nuns, satanists, lesbian vampires, giallo slashers, cannibalism, and all varieties of sadism.

Ilsa: “Time Square’s Ultimate Bitch Goddess” - Sleazoid Express. All hail Dyanne Thomas - Ilsa She Wolf of the SS, Ilsa Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks, and Ilsa Tigress of Siberia.

Female Rough Trade: The most purely sexploitation strain on the grindhouse circuit, hilights include the Ginger series starring Cheri Caffaro, The Candy Snatchers, Bonnie’s Kids, The Dirty Dolls, Fugitive Girls, Pets, The Centerfold Gils, Trip With Teacher, Rape Squad, and Mama’s Dirty Girls. See also women in prison flicks.

And there’s so much more - movies about (or “inspired by”/“loosely based on”) Patty Hearst, Jim Jones, and Charles Manson, HUNDREDS of Kung Fu Films, Biker Flicks, R-rated teen sex comedies, including several memorable Cheerleader pictures, New World’s Teachers and Nurses series, regional hillbilly/“Whytesploitation” car chase flicks, and countless other sub-sub-sub genres I’m just not thinking of at the moment.

In other words, there should be plenty to talk about on a thread like this.

Hey! It’s what’s-his-face! (Forgot what your old name was)

But there’s been like a few other similar topics of this if guys don’t want to repeat themselves:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.p … 819.0.html”>http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php/topic,6819.0.html</LINK_TEXT>

And there’s the Grindhouse-marathon going on at the movie-board (Though I’ve been slacking on it lately)

Olga series out on DVD?

Its Mondo68 aka Ted Cogswell!

WB dude!

[quote=“Laydback”]
Olga series out on DVD?
[/quote]

White Slaves of Chinatown/Olga’s House of Shame/Olga’s Dance Hall Girls is on a Something Weird Video triple feature DVD, and Olga’s Girls is available on it’s own from Synapse.

I made a thread for Exploitation movies that are already released on dvd. If I missed some post them.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.p … 218.0.html”>http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php/topic,7218.0.html</LINK_TEXT>

If anyone has a hastings near them that place is like heaven…I go in with money and I leave broke. They have tons of women in prison movies, just look in the adult section, here in Norman, Oklahoma, the adult section is right next to the horror section.